Have you been to Dominica?

Old October 12th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_1_]

Default Have you been to Dominica?

Where did you travel from? What was your air? Was your stay recent?
What feature did you like best about this island? Is there anything you
would not recommend to fellow travelers, why?

No, I'm not writing a book. I just thought I'd post this to help jump
start this group.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rosalie B.

Brian K wrote:

Where did you travel from? What was your air? Was your stay recent?
What feature did you like best about this island? Is there anything you
would not recommend to fellow travelers, why?

No, I'm not writing a book. I just thought I'd post this to help jump
start this group.

I've been to Dominica twice by cruise ship. We did an excursion to a
waterfall on the first trip.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8abb5/#TL

I don't know that anyone who was reasonably fit and mobile would need
to do this - there's lots of things that a hiker or other active
person can do there. I'm just not that person. We also went to the
museum in the morning, and at the time I didn't think much of it, but
I've kind of changed my mind.

The next time we did the rain forest tram
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8af65/#TL I would recommend
that, but it doesn't run unless there's cruise ship there.

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rita Daggett

"Brian K" Where did you travel from? What was your air? Was your stay
recent?
What feature did you like best about this island? Is there anything you
would not recommend to fellow travelers, why?

No, I'm not writing a book. I just thought I'd post this to help jump
start this group.

Went some years ago for the diving. From UK so BA to Antigua and then
smaller aircraft to Roseau - only snag was that half our luggage went to the
other (larger) airport in the north of the island.
I loved the island; we stayed at Castle Comfort.
Hired a car for a couple of days (scary - as they drive on the left but with
left-hand drive cars (or it might have been the other way round, but
basically the steering wheel wasnt on the 'correct' side for the driving)
and there are huge drainage ditches at the side of the roads which it would
be far too easy to go into).
We went to the Botanical Gardens (a bit disappointing as we couldnt get any
sort of guide book for it); to the main Falls (Trafalgar?) and did lots of
great diving and snorkelling.

--
Rita Daggett

Old October 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/11/2007 8:15 PM Rosalie B. consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
Brian K wrote:

[...]

I didn't know they have a museum. What was it about it that you didn't
like, but like now in retrospect? What kind of museum? Art? Historical?
etc?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

On Oct 11, 7:36 pm, Brian K wrote:
Where did you travel from? What was your air? Was your stay recent?
What feature did you like best about this island? Is there anything you
would not recommend to fellow travelers, why?

No, I'm not writing a book. I just thought I'd post this to help jump
start this group.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
View My Web Page:http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951

I traveled from MIA. Airfare on AA was $319 RT to Antigua. Another
$200 on LIAT to Canefield.

I stayed at the Evergreen in Castle Comfort, Floral Gardens at Concord
Bay, Picard Cottages at Douglas Bay.

Best things: Scenery. If you like the jungle, Dominica is right for
you. Parrots, butterflies, big snakes (pythons). Also good waterfalls
(Trafalgar). The Boiling Lake may or may not be. Ask ahead of time.

If you like the sea, go down to champagne or further south to Scott's
Head. Great snorkeling. Plus you get the Singing Stones. Good swimming
in the Layou River. There is no snail disease here (bilharzia).

I really liked the people. Very friendly and accommodating. Food:
stick with fresh snapper, grouper, tuna, whatever. At least there are
no Burger Kings here (yet).

If you'd like to take a boat ride up the Indian River, ask for Gregory
Augustine. He is most facile. Speaks six languages.

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rosalie B.

Brian K wrote:

On 10/11/2007 8:15 PM Rosalie B. consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

I've boned up a bit on Dominica since you first asked. I first heard
of it when I sat next to a woman from there an a plane. There are
lots of eco-type things to do there. Lots of waterfalls to hike to,
snorkeling, scuba, whale watching, kayaking, and various other boating
activities in addition to the rain forest tram

The next time we did the rain forest tram
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8af65/#TL I would recommend
that, but it doesn't run unless there's cruise ship there.

I didn't know they have a museum. What was it about it that you didn't
like, but like now in retrospect? What kind of museum? Art? Historical?
etc?

I sort of collect museums. No matter where I go, I seem to find
museums. Not an art museum. Kind of a natural history museum. I
would almost bet that none of the other cruise ship passengers went to
it (there was no one there when we were there), and there were 2
cruise ships there that day.

Their website says: "Closed Sunday.
Housed in an old market house dating from 1810, the museum’s permanent
exhibit provides a clear and interesting overview of the island’s
geology, history, archaeology, economy, and culture. The displays on
pre-Columbian peoples, the slave trade, and the Fighting
Maroons—slaves who resisted their white slave owners and established
their own communities—are particularly informative."

And that's about what it was. They had exhibits about the
http://p.vtourist.com/3331925-Symbol...y-Dominica.jpg
pre-Columbian indians,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331923-Canoe_...d-Dominica.jpg
and rooms set up like a Planter's home,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331924-Recrea...e-Dominica.jpg
and also a home of a more ordinary person,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331927-Room_i...e-Dominica.jpg
and a native type hut.
http://p.vtourist.com/3723557-Displa...n-Dominica.jpg

I don't know why I was so down on this museum to begin with. It
carried over to St. Kitts - I saw a museum there, and didn't even go
in!! The Smithsonian it's not. It's not even as big as the Museum
in Cozumel or the one in Fort Walton Beach. But it is only $3.00
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

And that's about what it was. They had exhibits about thehttp://p.vtourist.com/3331925-Symbol_of_Authority-Dominica.jpg
pre-Columbian indians,http://p.vtourist.com/3331923-Canoe_...ns_arrived-Dom...
and rooms set up like a Planter's home,http://p.vtourist.com/3331924-Recrea..._planters_hous...
and also a home of a more ordinary person,http://p.vtourist.com/3331927-Room_i...ns_house-Domin...
and a native type hut. http://p.vtourist.com/3723557-Displa..._Columbian-Dom...

I don't know why I was so down on this museum to begin with. It
carried over to St. Kitts - I saw a museum there, and didn't even go
in!! The Smithsonian it's not. It's not even as big as the Museum
in Cozumel or the one in Fort Walton Beach. But it is only $3.00

If you really like museums, you should check out the Donker-DeGraff
House on Statia. Excellent museum for such a small island.
Anthropology, history, antique furniture, literature, just a really
diverse museum and the curator and staff are very knowledgeable. OTOH,
Statia doesn't allow cruise ships, which will limit your options,
i.e., you'd actually have to get off your cruise ship and stay there.
I recommend Talk of the Town.

Also while on Dominica, go visit (and eat at) Calibishie on the NE
coast. It was beautiful before, but it was the location for last
Pirates of Caribbean. Beautiful, rugged country, but the ocean on the
east coast is way too rough to swim in. However, there is a python
sunning garden if you'd like to visit.

Old October 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Don Wiss

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Brian K wrote:

Where did you travel from? What was your air? Was your stay recent?
What feature did you like best about this island? Is there anything you
would not recommend to fellow travelers, why?

You can read all about my stay there in my trip journal:

http://donwiss.com/travel/carib2003.htm

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/carib (e-mail link at page bottoms).