Please help us decide which island to visit

Old November 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
cjra

Default Please help us decide which island to visit

We're hoping to travel to the Caribbean in January for about a week,
but really have no idea where to go... here's some basics:

*would like French speaking but not required
*really don't want an all-inclusive but it wouldn't be the end of the
world
*Family of 3 (mom, dad, 2.5 yo old) so need kid-tolerant but not
specific kid activities...she'll be happy with the sand and water and
a slide somewhere
*somewhere American airlines or Continental flies (since we're trying
to use miles)

I've been to St Croix in the 80s, my husband's never been to the
Caribbean. We're both pretty seasoned travellers and have lived in a
few different developing countries, are quite accustomed to non-luxury
environments. Not really looking for a 'sanitized' version of the
islands but we do have a 2.5 yo and don't want to be backpacking for
miles or dodging bullets...

We like to experience and explore local culture, local foods, local
life. Don't really need happening night life.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start.

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Nick and Judy

St Martin/St. Maarten? They speak French(as well as English) on the French
side. Island is small enough to rent a car and drive around . AA flies there
via Miami and San Juan I believe.
I haven't been there in a few years but we used to love it. Check Trip
Advisor for hotel reviews.

Old November 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:51:23 -0600, "Nick and Judy"
wrote:

St Martin/St. Maarten? They speak French(as well as English) on the French
side. Island is small enough to rent a car and drive around . AA flies there
via Miami and San Juan I believe.

Yep -- St. Martin. You could stay either in Marigot or Grand Case, according to
your interests. We spent the holidays there last year -- January there is
perfect.

-- Larry
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/18/2008 9:59 AM cjra did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
[...]

Have you considered staying in a cabaña in Mexico's Yucatan? Assuming
you are US citizens, the dollar is again strong against the Mexican
peso. There are many cabañas to choose from basic to luxury in the
Yucatan a/k/a Mayan Riviera. Many cabañas afford a better connection to
locals and their culture. You might check out these links.

http://mayanriviera.com/nhotels/anayjose/
http://mayanriviera.com/nhotels/RetiroMaya/
http://www.tulummayanriviera.com/may...lum_hotel.htm#
http://www.cabanascopal.com/
http://www.vrbo.com/23633
http://www.loslirioshotel.com/index.html
http://www.mexicoholiday.com/properties/

Many people don't think of Mexico when they consider visiting the
Caribbean. The state of Quintanna Roo is on the Caribbean sea and its
climate is similar to the Caribbean islands.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

On Nov 18, 9:59*am, cjra wrote:
[...]

It's a little difficult to narrow in on an island as your ideas are
sort of all over the place. To focus on the French islands since that
sounds of interest I will speak to St. Martin. I was there in Aug.
prior to that it has been some time since I was on island. The island
is hugely commercialized, lots of traffic, of course crime but I do
LOVE LOVE LOVE the French side and encourage you to consider Grande
Case. There is a lovely beach, Lolo's (BBQ's), amazing places to dine
and of course it's French. I loved Le Petit Hotel but the walk to town
is about 15 min and there is no side walk on a small part so at night
it's a little tricky with a wee one. They have a sister hotel
L'Esmerelda I believe. Our unit at Le Petit has a lovely full kitchen
and amazing apothocaries, a starter snack pack, water and more. Grande
Case is a little bit of heaven and of course AA flies there from MIA I
believe. I do not like all inclusives so will not be recommending
any. It's not my first pick of an island but it's got French and AA.

Ann Phelan
www.antiguacaribbean.com
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
cjra

http://mayanriviera.com/nhotels/anay...om/properties/

Many people don't think of Mexico when they consider visiting the
Caribbean. The state of Quintanna Roo is on the Caribbean sea and its
climate is similar to the Caribbean islands.

I like the area but have been there before (stayed at the very south
end of the peninsula in Xcalak, then took a bus up the coast to
Petumal (?). I loved it but would like to try some place I've never
been. I also used to live in Costa Rica so we crossed that off the
list. We don't intend to be in the US much longer, and just want to
take advantage of close proximity to the Caribbean.
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
cjra

On Nov 21, 10:25 am, " wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:59 am, cjra wrote:

[...]

So what island would you recommend?

French isn't a requirement, just a small preference for me...of course
part of that is because I envision the English speaking islands to be
more heavily touristed by Americans and commercialized. I'd rather
avoid both just because I want to be somewhere 'different' - not like
an extension of the US with all the same stuff, KWIM?

Your suggestions for St. Maarten are appreciated...sounds nice,
although now you've said commercialized I hesitate. Where else would
you suggest? I really really really don't like all-inclusives if I can
avoid it.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Tamzen Cannoy[_2_]

In article
,
cjra wrote:
French isn't a requirement, just a small preference for me...of course
part of that is because I envision the English speaking islands to be
more heavily touristed by Americans and commercialized. I'd rather
avoid both just because I want to be somewhere 'different' - not like
an extension of the US with all the same stuff, KWIM?

Your suggestions for St. Maarten are appreciated...sounds nice,
although now you've said commercialized I hesitate. Where else would
you suggest? I really really really don't like all-inclusives if I can
avoid it.

All the worst of the commercial stuff is on the Dutch side. There is one
large and very wonderful SuperMarche on the French side but all the big
box stores and fast food is on the Dutch side. I also second the
suggestion to stay in Grand Case. It's lovely and full of AMAZING
restaurants. I've stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club which is just
north of town and has a nice little calm beach perfect for a child. It
was an easy walk to that end of Grand Case, and they will rent a car for
you as well.

Traffic on the island however is very bad. There is of course just 1
road around the island and it's always always slow everywhere. But still
fun. It's one of my favorite islands after Anquilla.

If money is no object my first choice in islands is Anguilla but it's
very expensive. The Cuisinart Resort there has lots of kids and the
beaches on Anquilla are some of the very very best in the world. I have
stayed at several places there and love the island dearly. Very very
untouristy.

My final suggestion would be Trinidad. It's English speaking. All the
trashy stuff is on Tobago. There's not a single chain fast food place,
no Donna Karan or Rolex adds. It's very very much the old Caribbean that
is gone from most places. Everyone is lovely and helpful.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/21/2008 11:54 AM cjra did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
On Nov 21, 2:52 am, Brian K wrote:

[...]

What about Dominica? (Not the Dominican Republic) Sure it's a long
plain ride from the US. But consider what it has to offer. Check out
this official tourism link:
http://www.avirtualdominica.com/tourism.cfm

Dominica is known as the Garden Island. It has it all, scuba diving,
snorkeling, a geothermal caldera called Boiling Lake, natural hot
water baths peppered throughout the island's rivers. Every coast of
Dominica offers a different beach scape and different activities. One
coastal beach has black volcanic sand, another has pure white powder
that never gets hot no matter how bright the sun and temperature. The
cruise ships have just started sailing there and their inroads on the
island are minimal and limited.

--
________
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Allodoxaphobia

Default Anguilla [WAS: Please help us decide which island to visit]

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:29:58 -0800, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

If money is no object my first choice in islands is Anguilla
but it's very expensive.

Horse Hockey!
http://ferryboatinn.ai/

My wife and I have visited Anguilla in each of the last 10 years -- a
3-week stay on each trip. We have always stayed at The Ferryboat Inn
and I would never refer to it as "very expensive."

Of course, if you insist on staying in one of the all inclusive
compounds, then you can have a a very expensive experience. Myself, I
don't need mints on my pillow, nor 'attendants' at the beach.

There are other 'inns' on Anguilla -- places that offer "self catering"
apartments. I like to refer to it as
"Self catering accommodations for the
"self-sufficient traveler."

I will agree that eating out in the 'fancy' restaurants on Anguilla can
be quite expensive. However, I do *not* travel to Anguilla to eat out.
I can do that at home.

Ditto for shopping.

The Cuisinart Resort there has lots of kids and the
beaches on Anquilla are some of the very very best in the world.
I have stayed at several places there and love the island dearly.

Very very untouristy.

Agree. We always go around October-November -- fairly off season -- and
find it uncrowded. And the Anguillians (the friendliest people I've
ever encountered) have more time to spend with you.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux