Germany, Denmark, Netherlands travelogue

Old September 13th, 2014, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Germany, Denmark, Netherlands travelogue

Here is a detailed report of our trip to northern Germany, Denmark and
the Netherlands in June this year (by car + plane from Munich):

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Germany/2014/ (Germany)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Denmark/2014/ (Denmark)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Netherlands/2014/ (Netherlands)

--
Alfred Molon
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Makowiec

On 13 Sep 2014 in rec.travel.europe, Alfred Molon wrote:

Here is a detailed report of our trip to northern Germany, Denmark and
the Netherlands in June this year (by car + plane from Munich):

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Germany/2014/ (Germany)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Denmark/2014/ (Denmark)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Netherlands/2014/ (Netherlands)

I agree that Denmark is expensive. We had the good fortune to have a
guide - our daughter was studying at DTU at the time. We stayed in
Ballerup (Zleephotel - spartan but (relatively) inexpensive), drove to
Lyngby and took the bus into Copenhagen from there.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Here is a detailed report of our trip to northern Germany, Denmark and
the Netherlands in June this year (by car + plane from Munich):

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Germany/2014/ (Germany)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Denmark/2014/ (Denmark)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Netherlands/2014/ (Netherlands)

What a strange route to include Amsterdam in a trip to
Germany/Denmark/Sweden

Of course people arrive early for a twice a day ferry.. Many of them will
have come from 100s of kms away and will have left a lot of slack in their
drive so that they don't miss it. Even so, if you come from a short
distance away and can time your arrival for the last minute, many occasional
ferries have a minimum check in of 1 hour - arriving only 20 minutes before
it leaves is just asking to be left on the quay-side (though I can't find
Stena's rules about this)

Would have been interesting to know how long you queued for the Fehmarnbelt
ferry.

Old September 14th, 2014, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tim..... says...
What a strange route to include Amsterdam in a trip to
Germany/Denmark/Sweden

Because I had to be in Amsterdam on these dates, to attend a conference.

Of course people arrive early for a twice a day ferry.. Many of them will
have come from 100s of kms away and will have left a lot of slack in their
drive so that they don't miss it. Even so, if you come from a short
distance away and can time your arrival for the last minute, many occasional
ferries have a minimum check in of 1 hour - arriving only 20 minutes before
it leaves is just asking to be left on the quay-side (though I can't find
Stena's rules about this)

Would have been interesting to know how long you queued for the Fehmarnbelt
ferry.

You misunderstood that. We chose a late ferry (8:15pm), to have the
whole day available for sightseeing. Then we were done with Lübeck
earlier than expected and the weather was not that good, so we drove to
Puttgarden early, arriving at 6pm. We drove a bit around the area, but
didn't find anything terribly interesting and it was raining anyway. So
we didn't do anything special until we got on the ferry.
At 7:20pm we drove to the ferry terminal, expecting to wait a while for
the 8:15pm ferry, but were lucky to be put on the 7:45pm ferry, thereby
shortening the waiting time by half an hour.
--
Alfred Molon
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 9/17/2014 8:27 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:58:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:02:12 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

Here is a detailed report of our trip to northern Germany, Denmark and
the Netherlands in June this year (by car + plane from Munich):

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Germany/2014/ (Germany)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Denmark/2014/ (Denmark)
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Netherlands/2014/ (Netherlands)

"So we get back to the hotel and at 7:10pm we get a taxi (41 Euro) to the
airport. Trip takes only 20 minutes."

Next time take the direct train to the airport.

The Schiphol duty free area for those travelling within the EU isn't duty free.
Going price for a Braun hair dryer in the BCC chain of shops and in V&D is
about EUR 40.

10 free things to do in Amsterdam.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...m?CMP=ema_1195

Suppose you arrive in Amsterdam by rental car; is it worthwhile
returning the car in the city and then taking the shuttle or train? I
would probably return the car at the airport?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old September 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

On 18/09/2014 07:29, Martin wrote:

It only costs about EUR 3 to take a train from Schiphol to the centre of
Amsterdam. There's a train about every 15 minutes.

I would recommend the 197 bus. Very convenient.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:02:12 AM UTC+1, Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is a detailed report of our trip to northern Germany, Denmark and

the Netherlands in June this year (by car + plane from Munich):

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Germany/2014/ (Germany)

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Denmark/2014/ (Denmark)

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Netherlands/2014/ (Netherlands)

--

Alfred Molon

You ate 'ethnic' in the Netherlands, but not Indonesian? You missed out on one of the Netherlands' major treats!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article ,
Surreyman says...

You ate 'ethnic' in the Netherlands, but not Indonesian? You missed out on one of the Netherlands' major treats!

My wife is Malaysian, so I'm well acquainted with Indonesian food.
--
Alfred Molon
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Friday, October 3, 2014 9:18:03 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 21:21:58 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,

Surreyman says...

You ate 'ethnic' in the Netherlands, but not Indonesian? You missed out on one of the Netherlands' major treats!

My wife is Malaysian, so I'm well acquainted with Indonesian food.

without spending a ridiculous amount on what in many cases is a poor Dutch

imitation of the real thing in Amsterdam.

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

As is curry in UK - but still highly enjoyable nevertheless!
However, thanks to my Dutch friends having trained up as Indo chefs to professional standards (as a hobby), they've also taken us to 'proper' restaurants, especially around Den Haag.
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Friday, October 3, 2014 11:17:08 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 02:39:56 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman

wrote:

On Friday, October 3, 2014 9:18:03 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 21:21:58 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,

Surreyman says...

You ate 'ethnic' in the Netherlands, but not Indonesian? You missed out on one of the Netherlands' major treats!

My wife is Malaysian, so I'm well acquainted with Indonesian food.

without spending a ridiculous amount on what in many cases is a poor Dutch

imitation of the real thing in Amsterdam.

As is curry in UK - but still highly enjoyable nevertheless!

Curry in UK is hardly sold at the prices charged for Indonesian food in

Amsterdam.

However, thanks to my Dutch friends having trained up as Indo chefs to professional standards (as a hobby), they've also taken us to 'proper' restaurants, especially around Den Haag.

There are no proper Indonesian restaurants in Leiden. The food of the one that

is rated as the best is cooked in The Hague and is reheated in Leiden. The

resulting quality is poor.

I've never had an Indonesian meal in NL that is anything like that sold in

Singapore and Malaysia. Even the Dutch Indonesian satay isn't anything like the

real thing. Often it is boiled in the bag stuff.

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Authenticity apart, I have to say I've often eaten Indonesian in the Netherlands at approximately UK curry prices - maybe not in central A'dam recently, but then I don't tend to eat curry in Regent Street either.