Prince Charles says ban McDonald's food

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

Default Prince Charles says ban McDonald's food

Prince Charles says ban McDonald's food
Wed Feb 28, 3:32 AM ET

LONDON - Prince Charles suggested Tuesday on a visit to the United Arab
Emirates that banning McDonald's fast food was crucial for improving
people's diets, a British news agency reported.

Charles made the comments while visiting the Imperial College London
Diabetes Center in Abu Dhabi for the launch of a public health campaign, The
Press Association reported.

"Have you got anywhere with McDonald's? Have you tried getting it banned?
That's the key," Charles was quoted as asking one of the center's
nutritionists.

A McDonald's spokesman, Nick Hindle, called the remark disappointing. He
said other members of the royal family "have probably got a more up-to-date
picture of us," alluding to reports that Charles' son, Prince Harry, was
spotted eating a chicken burger at McDonald's in 2005.

"This appears to be an off-the-cuff remark, in our opinion," Hindle said.
"It does not reflect our menu or where we are as a business."

The Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald's Corp. took steps last year to
display nutrition facts on its packaging and vary its menu to counter
charges that its food is unhealthy and contributes to obesity. There are 25
McDonald's franchises in the United Arab Emirates.

Charles, who is first in line to the British throne, is an active advocate
of organic food and in 1986 set up a farm on his Highgrove Estate that does
not use artificial pesticides or fertilizers.

The prince was in the United Arab Emirates with his wife, Camilla, as part
of a tour of Gulf countries.

The United Arab Emirates has the world's second highest number of diabetes
cases per capita, with more than 20 percent of those aged 20 to 79 already
diagnosed with the illness, while 40 percent of the population are at risk.

Old February 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message
[...]

AH!!!! CHARLES COCKED UP JUST LIKE HIS DEAR OLD DAD DOES according to the
daily mail today (see page 7) a big mac contains 229 calories AND a duchy
origional organic cornish pasty contains 264 calories --- ENGAGE BRAIN
BEFORE OPERATING MOUTH CHARLES

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:42:25 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

a big mac contains 229 calories AND a duchy
origional organic cornish pasty contains 264 calories --- ENGAGE BRAIN
BEFORE OPERATING MOUTH CHARLES

do you have the fat and sugar contents? After all calorie free food
isn't much use. I would want to compare all three, then ignore the
result and choose on taste, which would almost certainly be the duchy
original, stuff they do I tried (not the pasty) has been very good,
unlike McDs.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Alan wrote:
[...]

Who said anything about calories? What about nutritional value, salt
content, fat content?
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

wrote:

a big mac contains 229 calories AND a duchy
origional organic cornish pasty contains 264 calories --- ENGAGE BRAIN
BEFORE OPERATING MOUTH CHARLES

do you have the fat and sugar contents? After all calorie free food
isn't much use. I would want to compare all three, then ignore the
result and choose on taste, which would almost certainly be the duchy
original, stuff they do I tried (not the pasty) has been very good,
unlike McDs.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@
this site
Spain walking, food, tourism "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk"
Beginners UK flight sim addons "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

sugar 4.17 --- 2
fat 11.12 ---13.6
saturated fat 4.17 --- 5.5
salt 0.93 --- 1.25

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:30:04 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

Alan wrote:
[...]

All are at normal levels in the meat in a Big Mac.
--

Martin

sugar 4.17 --- 2
fat 11.12 ---13.6
saturated fat 4.17 --- 5.5
salt 0.93 --- 1.25

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:45:41 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

sugar 4.17 --- 2

assuming that's from the bun, that's one of the things I dislike about
McDs.
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

wrote:

sugar 4.17 --- 2

assuming that's from the bun, that's one of the things I dislike about
McDs.

When have you ever had to go to one? I don't believe McDs is as evil and
vile as some do, probably, but I sure as hell won't waste my time eating
there, given easy to find and superior alternatives.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net