Vienna , Austria airport to the city

Old December 6th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Runge

Default Vienna , Austria airport to the city

On sunday evenings around 20.30 what are the cheapest possibilities?
Thanks

Old December 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Casey

On sunday evenings around 20.30 what are the cheapest possibilities?

Bus http://english.viennaairport.com/bus.html#1

Casey

Old December 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Bus [circa 5.80 Euro) http://english.viennaairport.com/bus.html#1

Train (3 Euro): http://www.viennaairport.com/bahn.html

Old December 7th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Casey

Bus [circa 5.80 Euro) http://english.viennaairport.com/bus.html#1

Train (3 Euro): http://www.viennaairport.com/bahn.html

Yeah, but if you want to go to certain places, like Westbahnhof,
you will need to take the train to one of the train stations and then
take the U-Bahn to Westbahnhof. The bus goes to Sudbahnhof
and then Westbahnhof, one-stop shopping.

Casey

Old December 7th, 2003, 06:54 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Casey wrote:

Bus [circa 5.80 Euro) http://english.viennaairport.com/bus.html#1

Train (3 Euro): http://www.viennaairport.com/bahn.html

Yeah, but if you want to go to certain places, like Westbahnhof,
you will need to take the train to one of the train stations and then
take the U-Bahn to Westbahnhof. The bus goes to Sudbahnhof
and then Westbahnhof, one-stop shopping.

Chacun a son gout - when I arrive in a strange city after a long air
flight, I don't want to mess around with schlepping my luggage via train
and U-Bahn, to the vicinity of my hotel, then hope I can recognize it
when I reach it. Taxis aren't THAT expensive, and the convenience is
well worth the higher cost!
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Runge

yes thanks but in my case ill be arriving after a one hour flight, so that's
OK

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" "evgmsop a
écrit dans le message de

Old December 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM
tim

"Casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bus [circa 5.80 Euro) http://english.viennaairport.com/bus.html#1

Train (3 Euro): http://www.viennaairport.com/bahn.html

Yeah, but if you want to go to certain places, like Westbahnhof,
you will need to take the train to one of the train stations and then
take the U-Bahn to Westbahnhof. The bus goes to Sudbahnhof
and then Westbahnhof, one-stop shopping.

But most people's destination will be the city centre (say Stephansplatz)
so how does this help them?

The train has multiple stops as well: Rennweg, Mitte and Nord, any of
which may be more convenient (my choice in Vienna is the Ibis Messe
just because it is a short walk from one of these, Nord as it happens).

The 3.00 euro fare for the train includes the transfer to the metro
so that you can continue your journey, does the 5.80 euro fare for
the bus include this or do you have to pay the extra 1.50 for the
two metro stop necessary to complete the journey?

Tim

Casey

Old December 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM
tim

"Runge" wrote in message ...
Ummm thanks but no train on sunday so it seems

That's because next sunday is timetable change day and somebody
has been a bit lax in updating whatever engine you are using to get
the times (there are no local buses where I live any day, for the week
after next, for the same reason, at least I *hope* that's the reason!)

times are on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

There are trains on Sunday at XX:10 and XX:40.
As per my other post the 3.00 euro ticket entitles you to
continue your journey by metro or bus in the central zone
for a total journey time of IIRC 90 minutes.

BEWA This Sunday is the first day of the new city airport train
which departs a few minutes before the 'normal' train. This charges
a whopping (for the distance) 9.00 Euro and your pre-purchased 3.00
euro ticket will probably be worthless. It is non-stop to Mitte (only)
and saves you an under-whelming 8 minutes over the stopper and the
tickets don't appear to be valid for onward metro connection.
You might want to make sure that you don't get on it

Quite how they expect this to be viable (at this prive) is beyond me,
are there enough people in the world who are that busy/gullible?

If you are really interesed and want to save 1 euro on the fare you
can go he
http://www.cityairporttrain.at/content/home.php

tim

Old December 7th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Thomas Peel

tim schrieb:

"Casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

The OP wanted to know the cheapest method. I've used bus, subway and
taxi, and the train (ie subway) IMHO is the winner at 3 euros. You can
specify your final destination when you get the ticket at the vending
machine, as long as it's inside town, the transfer is included in the
price. The subway can even be faster than either the bus or taxi,
depending on traffic and weather conditions. Vienna gets a lot of fog
this time of year.

T.