Austrian / Hungarian border

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Roger Tamworth

Default Austrian / Hungarian border

Hello

My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.

She is interested in what the current status is of the border between Hungry
and Austria.

More specifically, is there passport control on:

1 Each road crossing the border
2 Train stations either side of the border
3 Green field type borders areas between roads

It would be great to hear from someone that had been to the area recently.

Many thanks

Old July 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
David Bennetts

"Roger Tamworth" wrote in message
Hello

My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.

She is interested in what the current status is of the border between
Hungry and Austria.

More specifically, is there passport control on:

1 Each road crossing the border
2 Train stations either side of the border
3 Green field type borders areas between roads

It would be great to hear from someone that had been to the area recently.

Many thanks

Hi - can give you a bit of info on the trains:

Came by train from Hungary into Austria (Budapest-Vienna) last month, and
there was an outgoing passport check on board by a Hungarian official soon
after leaving Budapest, and an incoming one by an Austrian official just
prior to entering Austria.

From Czech republic there was passport control at Breclav, two guys (one
Czech, one Austrian) jumped us as soon as we hopped on the train bound for
Vienna.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Tadej Brezina

Hello
My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.
She is interested in what the current status is of the border between Hungry
and Austria.

Austrias borders to the east are perimeter borders of the Schengen
treaty. This concerns the countries CZE, SLK, HUN and SLO.

More specifically, is there passport control on:
1 Each road crossing the border

Haven't crossed into Hungary on the road yet.
But the AUT-SLO crossings are rather relaxed. My last experience was,
that leaving Austria was unchecked, the others, entering Austria and
leaving/entering SLO, were checked border crossings. Although on a very
relaxed basis.

2 Train stations either side of the border

As far as I know immigration controls are done on the moving train. My
experience is from Spielfeld/Maribor (AUT-SLO), Hegyeshalom (AUT-HUN)
and Hohenau/Breclav (AUT/CZE).
On these border crossings usually 2-3 border patrol officers, often
carrying a laptop for detailed passport checks, enter the train and do
their checks during travel. So they get off at the first station before
or after the border.
E.g. for travelling to the Chech Republic, Austrian officials start
their border patrols already shortly after leaving Vienna.

3 Green field type borders areas between roads

There is no more iron curtain. But as far as I know, the Austrian Army
is still on a special Hungarian border patrol and assistance assignment.
Primaryily to deflect illegal border crossings, immigrants from all the
eastern countries reaching as far as Tchechnya and Afghanistan using
"facilitators".

It would be great to hear from someone that had been to the area recently.
Many thanks

HTH, regards
Tadej
--
"Vergleich es mit einer Pflanze - die wächst auch nur dann gut, wenn du
sie nicht jeden zweiten Tag aus der Erde reißt, um nachzusehen, ob sie

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
tile

"Roger Tamworth" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello

My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.

She is interested in what the current status is of the border between
Hungry and Austria.

More specifically, is there passport control on:

1 Each road crossing the border
2 Train stations either side of the border
3 Green field type borders areas between roads

It would be great to hear from someone that had been to the area recently.

Many thanks

as far as I know. crossing from germnay or Austria you will be subject to
control made by authorities of the Nieghbouting countries ( Czech republic,
slovakia, hungary adn slovenia.) sometimes you will find mixed patrols with
Schengen policemen.. that teach the others.
it is possible that you find italian policemen in slovakia or czech
republic.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Ulf Kutzner

Roger Tamworth schrieb:

My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.

She is interested in what the current status is of the border between Hungry
and Austria.

More specifically, is there passport control on:

1 Each road crossing the border
2 Train stations either side of the border
3 Green field type borders areas between roads

For illegal crossing? Ask the border patrol services. Seen a report
about them. They are working with infrared detection.

Regards, ULF
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Arthur Figgis

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:49:39 +0200, Tadej Brezina
wrote:

2 Train stations either side of the border

As far as I know immigration controls are done on the moving train. My
experience is from Spielfeld/Maribor (AUT-SLO), Hegyeshalom (AUT-HUN)
and Hohenau/Breclav (AUT/CZE).

When I did Sopron (HU) - Wien (AT) last July there was a passport
check in a separate section of Sopron station before boarding, then
nothing on board the (OeBB) train. The journey was odd in that the
station didn't sell tickets for the trip, instead you had to pay the
conductor on the train.

Looking out the window, we saw a couple of soldiers near the railway
in the rough area of the border - so if you are planning an invasion,
that might not be the best place :-)

There were passport checks onboard the Wien - Bratislava (SK) train I
did this April, then on Bratislava - Breclav (CZ), Ostrava (CZ) -
Katiowice (PL) and Szczecin (PL) - Angermuende (DE) trains. Plus all
the faffing around in Brussels for BE-GB!
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:05:49 +0200, Ulf Kutzner
wrote:

Roger Tamworth schrieb:

My sister is writing an assignment about immigration from Eastern Europe.

She is interested in what the current status is of the border between Hungry
and Austria.

More specifically, is there passport control on:

1 Each road crossing the border
2 Train stations either side of the border
3 Green field type borders areas between roads

For illegal crossing? Ask the border patrol services. Seen a report
about them. They are working with infrared detection.

I can't imagine it would be a big problem to cross that border at this
time. There would certainly be plenty of places in the hills you could
cross with few problems.

I'd do some research first of course, but I'm sure it's doable.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe,alt.politics.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.austrian
NotMyName[_1_]

The whole header, and followups smells as a SCAM.

I suspect that some people trafickers are asking for info, on where
they can infiltrate more illegals into Austria, either for the sex
trade, or as slave labor!!

Suggest Interpol may already have a file on the original poster?
For sure the authotities in Vienna are very interested.

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On 14 Jul 2006 13:59:55 -0700, "Kinetic" wrote:

I can't imagine it would be a big problem to cross that border at this
time. There would certainly be plenty of places in the hills you could
cross with few problems.

You're wrong. The Austrian army has a pair of soldiers stationed every
2-3 km along the entire length of the border, 24/7. Most of them are
equipped with night vision goggles. Even if you do manage to slip
through this tight net, the police will arrest anyone looking
suspicious in villages near the border. I don't know the exact
statistics, but from what I've heard only a third of the illegal
immigrants make it.

Good chances, really.
--
---
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Mike Roebuck[_1_]

wrote:

2 Train stations either side of the border

As far as I know immigration controls are done on the moving train. My
experience is from Spielfeld/Maribor (AUT-SLO), Hegyeshalom (AUT-HUN)
and Hohenau/Breclav (AUT/CZE).

When I did Sopron (HU) - Wien (AT) last July there was a passport
check in a separate section of Sopron station before boarding, then
nothing on board the (OeBB) train. The journey was odd in that the
station didn't sell tickets for the trip, instead you had to pay the
conductor on the train.

I did Vienna to Sopron and back a couple of weeks ago.

Both Austrian and Hungarian immigration and emigration controls take
place in the international part of Sopron station. There is also a
ticket counter, but it may not have been open when you were there. It
certainly sold me a ticket - the GySEV clerk quoted me a fare in
Euros, but was happy to accept Forints when I offered them.

I'm pretty sure I've bought international tickets from the domestic
ticket office in the other part of the station in the past.

Looking out the window, we saw a couple of soldiers near the railway
in the rough area of the border - so if you are planning an invasion,
that might not be the best place :-)

There were passport checks onboard the Wien - Bratislava (SK) train I
did this April, then on Bratislava - Breclav (CZ), Ostrava (CZ) -
Katiowice (PL) and Szczecin (PL) - Angermuende (DE) trains. Plus all
the faffing around in Brussels for BE-GB!

If you travel from Vienna to Bratislava Petrzalka on one of the hourly
shuttles, the passport control is at Petrzalka station. I assume it's
done on train for the few trains which go beyond Petrzalka.

--
Regards

Mike

mikedotroebuckatgmxdotnet