Traveling light

Old December 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Traveling light

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

Nope... was a standard roll-aboard that fits easily into the overhead
compartment on the plane.

What brand and size bag was this?

Maestro... 20 X 14 X 19 inches
http://www.bagsbuy.com/pi/maest/maes...3_91207_jb.jpg Now Continental
allows a linear measurement total of 51 inches so this bag is slightly over
that (2 inches) but it fits very well without cramming.

The other was a Skyline, slightly smaller and bought at Walmart.

Funny, but my larger luggage is either Samsonite or American Tourister...
but this cheaper stuff seems to work better for us.

Rolling the clothes before packing made the process MUCH easier.

Didn't they wrinkle?

Not so much. We hung them as soon as we got on the ship and with the
humidity of the adjacent bathroom, they pretty much de-wrinkled themselves.
I found the clothes that I folded had more wrinkles then the ones I rolled.
Go figure.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
May 12, 2008 - 5 nt New Orleans http://www.cruisemaster.com/fantasy.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old December 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"RICK DAVIS" wrote
I know this can be done. Especially with the Free Laundry Service on
Carnival that I now have. I packed very lite on this cruise and still
only wore 1/2 of what I took. I could have totally gotten away with a
roll along and carry on.

We were all wondering about you and Becca and the weather. Our first
2.5 days were rough.
20 foot seas due to a late season tropical depression sitting to the
east of us. Finally it moved on. Alot of the crew was sick. Met other
folks from Radiance of the Seas and Costa Fortuna who went thru the same
thing.

We did the Western Caribbean Itinerary. First night and first day we had a
lot of wind that caused some motion but the seas were not very heavy. The
rest of the cruise the weather was almost perfect. We had clear skies on
December 13 and got up around 3:30 AM to sit on the balcony and watch the
Geminid meteor shower. We did manage to see a few... pretty cool.

Old December 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"George Leppla" wrote in message
Last week we went on the Grand Princess and tried something different. We
limited our luggage to one roll-aboard and one small personal "bag" per
person. No checked luggage.
Bottom line is that this was a rousing success and I doubt that we will
ever go on another cruise with checked luggage...

We haven't tried the carry-on only for a cruise yet, but will try it for
short cruises. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of luggage people
take on cruises (or the stuff they try to carry on to airplanes).
We just got back from Oceania Insignia's Barcelona to Rio cruise, 17 days
total counting travel time). At Barcelona and Rio, some fellow cruisers had
luggage carts piled so high that they had to hold on to the loads to keep
from turning over. Then, on the planes people were stuffing so much in the
overhead bins that they couldn't be closed (Fibber McGee's closet). When
they need something from the carry-on bags during the trip it was an
annoying (to others) struggle to get to them.
We each took one average soft-side suitcase and one under-seat carry-on (for
pills, books, two day's underwear and one day's worth of clothing). I
packed one light weight suit and a sport coat, 14 day's worth of underwear,
pants and shirts, two pairs of shorts, one swim suit, one pair of shoes
(stuffed with socks) and a bag of liquids too large for carry-on security
(bottle of Listerine, etc.). Coming back we even had our heavy coats in the
suitcases to avoid carrying them on the plane (90 degrees in Rio, 40 at
Dulles). I didn't wear all the pants and I hand washed a couple shirts and
hung them from the a/c vent in the stateroom (dried quickly). Next time
I'll take lighter shirts (had several knits), fewer pants, more shorts.
Carry-on/by-passing check-in would have been fine at Dulles, but wouldn't
have helped in Rio where everyone had to stand in line two and a half hours
waiting for United to open their check-in counter to get boarding passes.
I learned to travel light many years ago. I once traveled around the world,
30,000 miles, in 21 days with just one old Samsonite had-side suitcase.
Paul Johnson

Old December 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

George Leppla wrote:

Maestro... 20 X 14 X 19 inches
http://www.bagsbuy.com/pi/maest/maes...3_91207_jb.jpg Now Continental
allows a linear measurement total of 51 inches so this bag is slightly over
that (2 inches) but it fits very well without cramming.

First of all I could never pack the way you and Becca just did and noway
am I letting Kevin see these posts(grin).

I just checked United which is our prefered airline and they only allow
45 inches, 9x14x22. Then I checked USAir, which we hate, but it often
has the best flights from PHL and they alloow 51 inches, 11x14x26.
Anyone trying to pack light like this, should check with their airline
and see what they allow.

Another potential problem with such a large carryon, is that if the
plane is very crowded and there isn't room for you bag up above, they
may wind up making you check it at the last minute.

sue
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

Our second day they didn't even put out the lounge chairs above lido
deck. It was some serious wind & wave action on the Eastern Caribbean.

Old December 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Dec 17, 8:49 pm, "George Leppla" wrote:
Last week we went on the Grand Princess and tried something different. We
limited our luggage to one roll-aboard and one small personal "bag" per
person. No checked luggage.

Sounds great in theory, and I wish I could do it. I know Diana and her
whole family are able to pull this off, and I tip my hat to them. But,
with snorkeling gear, books (at least four, for a week-long cruise),
sunscreen, toiletries, travel steamer, seven evening outfits and shoes
to match, I just don't see it happening.

I applaud your effort, and success.

Lee
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie[_2_]

George Leppla wrote:
Last week we went on the Grand Princess and tried something different. We
limited our luggage to one roll-aboard and one small personal "bag" per
person. No checked luggage.

Bottom line is that this was a rousing success and I doubt that we will ever
go on another cruise with checked luggage.

In each of our roll-aboards, we packed our personal clothes. I took a blue
blazer, 4 dress shirts, 4 casual shirts, 3 t-shirts, 2 bating suits, 2 pairs
of shorts and 2 pair of dress pants and two ties.... along with enough
underwear and socks for the duration of the trip. In addition, one pair of
dress shoes, a pair of flip-flops for going to the pool, a pair of water
shoes for the beach... plus the clothes I had on (sneakers, pants and
shirt).

In my "personal" bag, I carried a CPAP machine, camera, cell phone,
extension cord, alarm clock and other odds and ends.

In her roll-aboard, Becca packed all her clothes and shoes... and we took
along a small back-pack for things like toiletries, the inevitable plastic
bags with liquids (for security) and anything else that didn't fit in the
other bags.

What a pleasure it was to not have to check a bag onto the plane. We
checked in at the airport using the e-ticket machine and headed to the
departure gate. No lines. Went through the TSA checkpoint with the usual
amount of juggling shoes, electronics and liquids. Got to FLL, headed
straight for the taxi stand, arrived at the pier and due to our Preferred
status with Princess, we went straight in. We landed in FLL at around 11
and were in our cabin by noon..... and unpacked..... because we didn't have
to wait anywhere for our luggage.
SNIP

Dear George,
How did you get all your stuff into a roll
around bag that was acceptable to the airlines as
carry on? You also said you had a "personal bag"
that had a CPAP machine, etc. in it. When I fly,
the airline people are really strict about just
how much carryon one has and my CPAP machine
pretty well fills up the allowed volume.
Anyway, if this mode of travel meets your needs,
go for it. Glad you had a great trip.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , George Leppla
wrote:

Maestro... 20 X 14 X 19 inches
http://www.bagsbuy.com/pi/maest/maes...3_91207_jb.jpg Now Continental
allows a linear measurement total of 51 inches so this bag is slightly over
that (2 inches) but it fits very well without cramming.

Many of the airlines I use only allow 45 inches. United, American. So
my carry on is 22 X 14 X 9. 53 is over the limit for any airline I use.
That is an odd sized bag and it is over the carry on limit of any
domestic airline I know about. Too far over I would say. So I don't
think it is really a carry on bag. You got away with it this time but a
gate agent doing their job might have made you check it. I have a bag
about that size around which I bought a number of years ago before they
lowered the limits and I use when I drive or take the train. I would
not consider taking it as a carry on on a plane since it is over the
size limit like yours..

--
Charles
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article xQX9j.27962$JW4.19505@trnddc05, J Carnaghie
wrote:

When I fly, the airline people are really strict about just how much
carryon one has and my CPAP machine pretty well fills up the allowed
volume.

I think he may have been lucky this time. I would not count on getting
through the gate like that every time.

--
Charles
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Good for you,but sometimes when you go to board the plane the luggage
racks are full,and they make you check your things,we know it happened
to us,so we had to wait for our luggage after all

cruise lover