How to access this site

Old December 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default How to access this site

I am getting rid of Webtv and will want to access rec.travel.cruises on
my computer.
How can I do this -- i have Windows and all up-to-date packages. Thank
you, Shirley

Old December 20th, 2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

If your ISP has newsgroups, then you can access them via Outlook Express, or
another e-mail handler with newsgroup capabilities.

--Tom

Old December 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

wrote in message
I am getting rid of Webtv and will want to access rec.travel.cruises on
my computer.
How can I do this -- i have Windows and all up-to-date packages. Thank
you, Shirley

As an alternative to Micro$oft Internet applications you might consider
Mozilla Firefox as your default browser, and Mozilla Thunderbird for
E-mail and Newsgroups. The beauty of this combination is that it is
completely customizable. As you become familiar with them, you can add
on just those Extensions and Themes that you want. These applications
in turn run faster because they aren't bogged down with a lot of stuff
you don't need or want.

If your ISP, Internet Service Provider does not support Newsgroups, you
can access them via Google Groups or Train your web browser to:
http://news.individual.net/ This is the web site of Free University of
Berlin. They support a newsgroup server that you can subscribe to for
free. I used to have an account there when I was using NetZero (which
doesn't support newsgroups).

Hope you find this information useful.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

wrote in message
I am getting rid of Webtv and will want to access rec.travel.cruises on
my computer.
How can I do this -- i have Windows and all up-to-date packages. Thank
you, Shirley

Update: The German Usenet Server access is now fee based 10.00 EUR a
year, roughly $14.00 USD. They could no longer afford to offer it for free.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

All you have to do is:

go to google.com
select groups
type: rec.travel.cruise

You on

Old December 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

BrianK wrote:

If your ISP, Internet Service Provider does not support Newsgroups, you
can access them via Google Groups or Train your web browser to:
http://news.individual.net/ This is the web site of Free University of
Berlin. They support a newsgroup server that you can subscribe to for
free. I used to have an account there when I was using NetZero (which
doesn't support newsgroups).

news.individual.net is very good, but it is no longer free. The cost is
somewhere around $10 to $20 per year and well worth the money. I find it
to be much more reliable then comcast newsgroups, which I get for free.

sue
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake :

I am getting rid of Webtv and will want to access rec.travel.cruises on
my computer.
How can I do this -- i have Windows and all up-to-date packages. Thank
you, Shirley

Usenet is not a website. Instead, it's a feed, supported by many
computers around the world. Your first bet would be to check with
your new ISP to see if they supply a feed. If not, I'd recommend
someone like indivdual.net (
www.individual.net for info). About $13 a
year (10 Euros). You'll need a newsreader. I would personally
recommend Agent. You can try Free Agent, but Agent has more features.
Go to www.forte.com
--
dillon

I used to think the horse's name was Bob.
And the angel's name was Hark.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

wrote in message
I am getting rid of Webtv and will want to access rec.travel.cruises on
my computer.
How can I do this -- i have Windows and all up-to-date packages. Thank
you, Shirley

Shirley,
Go to Outlook Express. In the right hand top corner is the Microsoft
Logo...If yours is set up as mine is, click next to that logo and"
Newsgroups" should come up. There is a box at the very top that says,
*Display newsgroups which contain.*
Type in "cruises" and rec.travel cruises should come up..then hit subscribe.
Good Luck and let us know if you have been able to join us.

--Jean

Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

Go to Outlook Express. In the right hand top corner is the Microsoft
Logo...If yours is set up as mine is, click next to that logo and"
Newsgroups" should come up. There is a box at the very top that says,
*Display newsgroups which contain.*
Type in "cruises" and rec.travel cruises should come up..then hit subscribe.
Good Luck and let us know if you have been able to join us.

That won't work without first entering the settings of a news server.

--
Charles