Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry stamped" my US Passport.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:30 PM
 @X.

Default Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry stamped" my US Passport.

So Sunday I returned from Asia through LAX. Despite the holiday
weekend I got through Customs and Immigration very quickly. The funny
part was the immigration agent put an entry stamp in my US Passport.
They have never done this in the past and it seemed a little odd to
me. Is this some sort of new policy? Just curious, it seems
strange. Have they ever put an entry stamp in anyone else's US
Passport? It's a first for me. I just picture some foreign agent
somewhere questioning why I stamped into the country but never stamped
out next time.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Mike Cordelli

I've had it happen every now and then from Europe, I always believe it's a
guy having a lousy day because he always grunts and puts it on a precious
clean page.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
Andrew Perrin

*@X.* writes:

So Sunday I returned from Asia through LAX. Despite the holiday
weekend I got through Customs and Immigration very quickly. The funny
part was the immigration agent put an entry stamp in my US Passport.
They have never done this in the past and it seemed a little odd to
me. Is this some sort of new policy? Just curious, it seems
strange. Have they ever put an entry stamp in anyone else's US
Passport? It's a first for me. I just picture some foreign agent
somewhere questioning why I stamped into the country but never stamped
out next time.

Perhaps I look more suspicious than most (?) but that's been the norm
for me - I've probably got 15 or 20 of them over the years.

ap

* andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM
PTRAVEL

@X. wrote in message ...
So Sunday I returned from Asia through LAX. Despite the holiday
weekend I got through Customs and Immigration very quickly. The funny
part was the immigration agent put an entry stamp in my US Passport.
They have never done this in the past and it seemed a little odd to
me. Is this some sort of new policy? Just curious, it seems
strange. Have they ever put an entry stamp in anyone else's US
Passport? It's a first for me. I just picture some foreign agent
somewhere questioning why I stamped into the country but never stamped
out next time.

We cleared immigration and customs at EWR from Rome. Our passports were
also stamped, which happens to us from time to time.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:10 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:30:42 -0800 *@X.* wrote:

:So Sunday I returned from Asia through LAX. Despite the holiday
:weekend I got through Customs and Immigration very quickly. The funny
:part was the immigration agent put an entry stamp in my US Passport.
:They have never done this in the past and it seemed a little odd to
:me. Is this some sort of new policy? Just curious, it seems
:strange. Have they ever put an entry stamp in anyone else's US
:Passport? It's a first for me. I just picture some foreign agent
:somewhere questioning why I stamped into the country but never stamped
:out next time.

There never is a stamp out from the USA.

Most of the time they stamp my US passport. No big deal - you can get extra
pages installed for free.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:23 PM
 @X.

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:36:46 GMT, "Mike Cordelli"
wrote:

I've had it happen every now and then from Europe, I always believe it's a
guy having a lousy day because he always grunts and puts it on a precious
clean page.

Interesting. Based on everyone's responses it seems it is not
uncommon after all. Just a first for me in about 10 trips through
LAX. Maybe I just now made it on the "special" list with the rest of
you folks.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:49 PM
Sjoerd

@X. schreef in bericht

http://www.rathburn.net/visa/usa/usa.html

Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:12 PM
nobody

Simple business decision. If the government makes money re-issuing passports,
then it stands to gain by stamping US passports with as much useless stuff as
possible so that you run out of space and need to request (and pay !) for a
new passport.

:-)

Consider the treatment the current USA regime gives to visitors to the USA who
have overstayed a visa in the past. Since the USA has every reason to fear
that other countries might treat USA citizens the same way USA treats their
citizens, then that stamp would help you get out of prison since it
implicitely proves you have left their country by entering the USA on a
specific date and thus hadn't overstayed your visa there.

Come to think of it, any visitor to the USA should have their passport stamped
when they enter another country after leaving the USA. Since the USA doesn't
have exit controls and thus is incapable of really tracking who has and
hasn't overstayed their visas, having a stamp from another country proving you
had left the USA on such and such a date might be your ticket to prevent a
visit to a USA prison.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:29 PM
mrt

nobody wrote:
Simple business decision. If the government makes money re-issuing passports,
then it stands to gain by stamping US passports with as much useless stuff as
possible so that you run out of space and need to request (and pay !) for a
new passport.

Extra pages are free, so what extra money are they making?
It would seem they are spending money by stamping the pages.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:40 PM
Nomen Nescio

Default Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry stampe

The following off-topic troll brought to you by:

Jean-Francois Mezei
86 Harwood Gate
Beaconsfield, QC H9W3A3
(514) 695-8259

From: nobody
Newsgroups: rec.travel.air
Subject: Sunday I reentered America at LAX and US Immigration "entry
stamped"
my US Passport.
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:12:21 -0500

[...]

------------------------------------

Some recent trolling aliases used by JF Mezei:

nobody
Conspiracy Theory
Lou Raccoon
Flapping Labias