Port Townsend, Washington

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Default Port Townsend, Washington

I'm headed there in a couple weeks for a few days. Any must-see areas,
restaurants, etc. from folks who have been there? I'm already going to
Hurricane Ridge but I'd like to check out the history in the town, do some
sightseeing.

Thanks!

Old June 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Walt Tucker

It has been a couple of years since I was up that way, but there are a
couple of military forts near Port Townsend that are worth a visit. Ft.
Worden comes to mind. Whidbey Island is a short ferry hop away, which
is good for a day trip. Coupville has a lot of nice little shops (my
cousin makes furniture there), and there are lots of neat little parks
to visit. While on Whidbey Island, be sure to visit Deception Pass and
also drive up to the highest point (I forget the name right now) for a
really great view of the sound and the San Juan Islands. If you have
the time, a longer day trip into the San Juans would be an excellent
idea (Friday Harbor is good for a day in itself). If you are up to it,
you can rent some sea kayaks out of Port Townsend and paddle the sound
for a while -- always a fun activity.

Old June 30th, 2004, 11:40 PM
CoastWatcher

We spent a week there a couple of years ago in a timeshare. Beautiful
area but a little shy on places to eat and things to do, at least for a
couple of older folks like us. Best part of the trip was a drive around
the peninsula.