Underwater cameras?

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Ali's Daddie

Default Underwater cameras?

Anyone have opinions on brands/types of underwater cameras? Not video, just
still photos.

What are prices like? Are they available at most camera stores? Or is there
some kind of specialty store i should look for?

Thanx

--
LES!

To send me an email, please remove Your Hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
. com...
| For just snapshots get a disposable one or two (not a regular disposable,
an
| underwater one).

Tells you what I know. I had no idea they even made disposable underwater
cameras lol.

Thanx

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Peter T

Check out this link,
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

PeterT

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:58 PM
RayC

Ali's Daddie wrote:

Anyone have opinions on brands/types of underwater cameras? Not video, just
still photos.

What are prices like? Are they available at most camera stores? Or is there
some kind of specialty store i should look for?

Thanx

--
LES!

To send me an email, please remove Your Hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

It really depends on how deep you want to take your camera,
how many pictures you want to take and how deep into
underwater photography you want to go.

The little $15 disposables at the drug store do a fair job
and work down to about 1-15 feet. The ones with the flash
will give better color saturation but will create "back
scatter" (little stars of light bouncing off the junk in the
water) in your pictures due to the proximity of the flash to
the lens. Drawbacks: you need to buy a new camera for every
roll of film (wasteful, expensive and takes up a lot of
room), no external flash/strobe available and they will only
give you a good shot out to about 4 feet away. Total cost to
shoot four rolls of film is about $60

There are some really nice reloadable 35 mm cameras that can
be used for scuba depths and they start in the $60 price
range and go up from there. These are basically inexpensive
35 mm cameras in a plastic housing. Plus, external strobes,
close up kits (for those tiny critters) and other
accessories are available to help improve your shots as you
get better at underwater photography. Drawbacks: initial
investment is more, have to load film into the camera, may
have to buy a couple of batteries every year, underwater
photography is highly addictive! Total cost to shoot four
rolls of film starts at about $90.

I would be inclined to go with the Bonica Handy Snapper
camera (around $60-75) and just load film. Later on, once
you get hooked, you can get close up kits, macro lenses,
etc. to complete your system.

Just my $.02

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Tom & Linda

Most are in the $100 range. Well worth it if you plan on doing more
than a few rolls.

I have the Minolta (big yellow one), but I'm not crazy about it. It was
already in for servicing once, and it's not that old.

I got mine at a camera store. No need to go to a dive shop or anything
like that.

--Tom

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:15 AM
sheree

we bought a minolta aps underwater camera, had more problems with it! love
the fuji and kodak disposable underwater cameras! pictures come out even
better then the minolta "real" camera!

--
Sheree

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:16 AM
sheree

same one I have! broke after a few tries, brought to 2 camera shops and
noone can fix it!

--
Sheree

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Donnassei

Hi Les,
I always purchase a Kodak underwater camera at the local Walmart for around $10
and have always been pleased with the pics. Just make sure its nice and sunny
when you use it in the water, if its cloudy, the pic don't really look good.

These cameras are also good when going on shore excursions and you don't want
to risk loosing or having a good camera stolen, these come in very handy.
You'll also notice that once you are cruising, the same camera you bought at
home for $10 is $20 down there, so definitely pick one or two up before you
leave and enjoy!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
http://www.cruisemates.com