LHR-ORD-FWA - changing terminals at ORD

Old January 30th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Doug Weller

Default LHR-ORD-FWA - changing terminals at ORD

Next Saturday we are flying from Heathrow to O'hare via AA, thus landing at
Terminal 5 and leaving for Fort Wayne from Terminal 3. The last time I did
this was via United and we just walked, within security, to change
terminals.

I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
usually at Terminal 3.

And how's Wolfgang Puck's?

Thanks.

Doug
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:43 PM
James Robinson

Doug Weller wrote:

it sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and
re-enter security, is that correct?

Yes. The new security rules require everyone who passed through a
security check in a country except Canada, to pass through a US security
check at the first point they get to in the US.

How long does it take to go through security usually at Terminal 3.

It depends greatly on the time of day, and if they are in some security
crackdown. Typically plan on something like 20 minutes to get through
the line.

And how's Wolfgang Puck's?

The pizza had a _lot_ of garlic on it. Great for me, not sure about
others.
Old January 31st, 2004, 01:58 AM
Dick Locke

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:17:12 +0000, Doug Weller
wrote:

Next Saturday we are flying from Heathrow to O'hare via AA, thus landing at
Terminal 5 and leaving for Fort Wayne from Terminal 3. The last time I did
this was via United and we just walked, within security, to change
terminals.

I think your memory is playing a trick after a long flight. It's
always been required to reclear security after handling checked
luggage in customs. You are right though that it was just a walk. It
was in the basement of one of the domestic terminals.

I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
usually at Terminal 3.

Yes correct. Not sure how long it takes because I hardly ever go
through security there. Eyeballing the line from inside, it always
looks short.

And how's Wolfgang Puck's?

Basic speedy food, not fried. Probably best restaurant there but
really nothing special. Cafeteria style line, plastic plates and
silverware, self-service.

Thanks.

Doug

Old January 31st, 2004, 02:07 AM
colin.

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
.. .

| I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
| sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
| security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
| usually at Terminal 3.

I did this at Christmas 02 (although I was connecting to Toronto). I had to
go through immigration, collect my bag, check in again and go through
security. All of this took a good hour, as there seemed to be only two
immigrations agents, two check-in people and two bag-scanning people for the
25 other passengers who were connecting onto the same flight as me. We only
_just_ made the connection on time.

As for food, I grabbed a quick quarter pounder from McDonald's on my run to
the gate, I never sampled anywhere else's wares =[

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:29 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Dick Locke wrote:

It's always been required to reclear security after handling checked
luggage in customs.

Only since 9/11. I'd done many a flight from LGW to STL prior to 9/11 and exited
out into Concourse B without having had to reclear security.
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:13 AM
Dick Locke

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:29:22 -0700, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115
dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote:

Dick Locke wrote:

It's always been required to reclear security after handling checked
luggage in customs.

Only since 9/11. I'd done many a flight from LGW to STL prior to 9/11 and exited
out into Concourse B without having had to reclear security.

Really? Thinking back, maybe it's my memory that was fooled. Wow, what
a security hazard. It's certainly different than any other airport
I've been through.

Old January 31st, 2004, 06:03 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Dick Locke wrote:

Only since 9/11. I'd done many a flight from LGW to STL prior to 9/11 and exited
out into Concourse B without having had to reclear security.

Really? Thinking back, maybe it's my memory that was fooled. Wow, what
a security hazard. It's certainly different than any other airport
I've been through.

I recall being surprised my first time through Narita some years back at having
to clear security while they refueled/cleaned the plane on a transit stop
enroute to Singapore.

Security before boarding in the UK was always much higher than pre 9/11 US, so
the first time I had to reclear security coming into the US post 9/11 was a bit
of a surprise (and an annoyance).
Old January 31st, 2004, 10:36 PM
Binyamin Dissen

wrote:

:Next Saturday we are flying from Heathrow to O'hare via AA, thus landing at
:Terminal 5 and leaving for Fort Wayne from Terminal 3. The last time I did
:this was via United and we just walked, within security, to change
:terminals.

Not from T5.

And it would be a quite long walk.

One can transfer between 1, 2 & 3 airside.

:I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
:sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
:security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
:usually at Terminal 3.

All together now.

"It depends"

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:49 PM
Doug Weller

wrote:

:Next Saturday we are flying from Heathrow to O'hare via AA, thus landing at
:Terminal 5 and leaving for Fort Wayne from Terminal 3. The last time I did
:this was via United and we just walked, within security, to change
:terminals.

Not from T5.

And it would be a quite long walk.

I meant the last time I changed planes at O'Hare -- UA didn't land at
Terminal 5.

One can transfer between 1, 2 & 3 airside.

Which I did last year.

:I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
:sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
:security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
:usually at Terminal 3.

All together now.

"It depends"

So maybe I have to leave security and maybe I don't? I doubt it. As for
how long it takes, others had something useful to say. I didn't expect an
answer like '16 minutes 30 seconds'.

Thanks to everyone else who offered me constructive and useful comments.

Doug
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:20 PM
Binyamin Dissen

: wrote:

::Next Saturday we are flying from Heathrow to O'hare via AA, thus landing at
::Terminal 5 and leaving for Fort Wayne from Terminal 3. The last time I did
::this was via United and we just walked, within security, to change
::terminals.

: Not from T5.

: And it would be a quite long walk.

:I meant the last time I changed planes at O'Hare -- UA didn't land at
:Terminal 5.

International (expect Canada and a couple others) always land at T5.

: One can transfer between 1, 2 & 3 airside.

:Which I did last year.

The you came off of a domestic flight.

::I know we will go through customs and immigration at Terminal 5 -- it
::sounds as though to get to Terminal 3 we have to leave and re-enter
::security, is that correct? How long does it take to go through security
::usually at Terminal 3.

: All together now.

: "It depends"

:So maybe I have to leave security and maybe I don't? I doubt it. As for
:how long it takes, others had something useful to say. I didn't expect an
:answer like '16 minutes 30 seconds'.

You will have to leave and reenter security.

How long will it take? "It depends".

:Thanks to everyone else who offered me constructive and useful comments.

You are welcome.