QM 2 --Short Review 10 da. 16-26 Mar Caribeean

Old March 29th, 2004, 02:06 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Default QM 2 --Short Review 10 da. 16-26 Mar Caribeean

...intended for cruise vacations, not for basic transportation {=
cruise-ship}...

That's pretty much how I see it.

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
. net...

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote in message
... the normal nonsense about celebrities, reality shows,

overreaction
Superbowl entertainment stunts, etc.

Probably avoiding those, well as much as possible without actually

having
been on Mars, is why I missed a lot of "the hype".

But you allude, Ben, to another "hype" issue that never has rung quite

true
for me. It's that Cunard "liner in the grand tradition" , "not just

another
cruise-ship" thing they're always spouting. It just annoys me, for

reasons
I'm only partly able to put my finger on.

It strikes me as some kind of attempt at market differentiation, saying

it's
a liner instead of a cruise ship... even though it IS a cruise ship in

every
sense of the word, a cruise ship that happens to do some ocean crossings.
It is not intended for overseas transportation, like when the immigrants
came to the new world decades ago. It is intended for cruise vacations,

not
for basic transportation. If you take a ship overseas only to fly back
home... that's a cruise. If the voyage is your vacation... that's a

cruise.

They can give it an ocean going hull design... but trans-Atlantic liners
used for basic transportation are long gone. They went out with the

Edsel.

It's a cruise ship.

--Tom

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:58:43 -0500, "E.k.R."
wrote:

With the prices Cunard is charging for QM2 not to mention the excessive
marketing hype, they should be delivering a first class product all the way
around and passengers have every right to expect it. It's been plenty long
enough to get things running smoothly.

I agree. Spending your travel $$$ is always a subjective, and this is
one ship I will pass on....unless CCL gives away a great FAM.

In any case I hope all passengers cruising on QM2 have a great time and feel
they are receiving some value for the price they paid. I will be on her
myself in the hopefully not too distant future, but only when prices drop to
reasonable levels for the product delivered.

See you then.

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:50:32 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

Perhaps some of our expectations of the new Queen is simply unrealistic
given her size.

Maybe, because of her size, she really can't be anything more than
Carnival's Cunard version of the Voyager class. Where it's all about the
ship.

This is my bet. CCL will blow the hype about Her Majesty's Service and
all for as long as that will inflate prices and bring attention. In
the end, the QM2 will be a modified version of a mass market liner.

Maybe like having the special Olympic Dining Room, while the rest of the
ship is just Millie.... here you get Grill Class, and the rest of the ship
is just Queenie.

Whoa, there. If the Goldhamer's take offense at Goldie, I get to take
offense at Queenie.
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:44:26 GMT, (CupCaked)
wrote:

Let's see what her 2006 schedule looks like. I think that will be the
real indicator of just what kind of ship she turns out to be in the
long run.

I have the schedule, I have the schedule. Nonny, nonny

sticking tongue out