Kept Awake by Crying Babies

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Peter[_10_]

Default Kept Awake by Crying Babies: Thanks

Thanks to all those who responded. Obviously among the readers of this
newsgroup crying babies is not a big issue.

In regard to various comments about noise cancelling headphones, my
experience (Bose Quietcomfort 2) is that they work well for sounds that are
continuous, such as the engine and air noise in an airplane cabin, but are
ineffective against speech or other rapidly changing audio signals such as
kids crying, even with the music volume turned up. Maybe other brands are
better at cutting out non-continuous noise. If anyone has some comparative
data from personal experience (not manufacturers' blurb that doesn't give
the full story) I'd be pleased to receive it.

Regards

Peter

"Peter" wrote in message
Firstly, let me say that I have children of my own so I am not anti-bubs.
BUT....

On three occasions recently I have been kept awake on 13 hour flights by
screaming babies (twice in coach and once in business).

With the best will in the world neither the parents nor cabin crew could
do anything about it and, anyway, it is a big ask to have a baby kept
quiet in a confined space for that length of time. Inevitably other
passengers are going to be disturbed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what general airline policy is on this? Are
there nominated flights where babies are not carried and if so how do I
find out which ones these are?

How do other people feel on this topic?

Peter

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark T.B. Carroll

"Peter" writes:

Thanks to all those who responded. Obviously among the readers of this
newsgroup crying babies is not a big issue.

For me it helps I've had two kids; I've built up an immunity I didn't
have before. I do find interesting the idea of having a child-free
cabin, though, if not a whole flight.

In regard to various comments about noise cancelling headphones, my
experience (Bose Quietcomfort 2) is that they work well for sounds that are
continuous, such as the engine and air noise in an airplane cabin, but are
ineffective against speech or other rapidly changing audio signals such as
kids crying, even with the music volume turned up. Maybe other brands are
better at cutting out non-continuous noise. If anyone has some comparative
data from personal experience (not manufacturers' blurb that doesn't give
the full story) I'd be pleased to receive it.

How about passive protection, then? I'm pleased with my Bilsom Thunder
T3 industrial earmuffs, but they're rather bulky - I wonder if there's
some kind of 30dB-ish passive earplugs that would be more discreet and
convenient - something like the expensive Etymotic ER-25s but without
any need for flat attenuation across the frequency spectrum, so
hopefully rather cheaper.

Mark
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Beast

I have had great luck with the Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones as
well. I've always wanted to try the Bose but I've had my Sennheisers for 4
years now and have done the job well. The only con is that there is an
external battery case, and if you leave it on when not listening to music or
trying to ignore Jet noise, you tend to cycle through AAAs pretty quick. On
the pro side, they are light, and fit just over my ears, so comfortable that
I can sleep easily with them on.

Old November 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Peter" wrote in message

Thanks to all those who responded. Obviously among the readers of this
newsgroup crying babies is not a big issue.

It's not that it's not a big issue. The problem is, that there's not much
you can do about it other than solve the problem for yourself. You just
have to try to drown the tyke out with some sort of earphone / earplug.