Kept Awake by Crying Babies

Old November 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Peter[_10_]

Default Kept Awake by Crying Babies

Firstly, let me say that I have children of my own so I am not anti-bubs.
BUT....

On three occasions recently I have been kept awake on 13 hour flights by
screaming babies (twice in coach and once in business).

With the best will in the world neither the parents nor cabin crew could do
anything about it and, anyway, it is a big ask to have a baby kept quiet in
a confined space for that length of time. Inevitably other passengers are
going to be disturbed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what general airline policy is on this? Are
there nominated flights where babies are not carried and if so how do I find
out which ones these are?

How do other people feel on this topic?

Peter

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Peter" wrote in message
Firstly, let me say that I have children of my own so I am not anti-bubs.
BUT....

On three occasions recently I have been kept awake on 13 hour flights by
screaming babies (twice in coach and once in business).

With the best will in the world neither the parents nor cabin crew could
do anything about it and, anyway, it is a big ask to have a baby kept
quiet in a confined space for that length of time. Inevitably other
passengers are going to be disturbed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what general airline policy is on this? Are
there nominated flights where babies are not carried and if so how do I
find out which ones these are?

How do other people feel on this topic?

Peter

You've answered most of your own questions. As far as policy goes, I don't
know of any policies concerning noisy munchkins. I can usually tolerate the
average noisy kid, but when things get to an annoying level, I put on my
earphones, and drown them out. I've gotten used to falling asleep to music.
It doesn't help much to complain, since there's nothing most can do about
it, and I notice that most parents are embarrassed and distressed, trying to
keep junior quiet.

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:36:25 -0600, Jim Davis wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Several years ago we flew on an internal Aeroflot plane in Russia,
they had little cribs suspended from the overhead bin area, the enfants
seem to off to sleep pretty easily, but it didn't look too safe somehow.
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose if the infants had to be removed from the cribs for take-off &
landing, it would be OK. Sounds like a good idea, but the way the US
airlines are heading, we won't see anything like that.

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 20, 11:47*pm, "Peter" wrote:
Firstly, let me say that I have children of my own so I am not anti-bubs.
BUT....

On three occasions recently I have been kept awake on 13 hour flights by
screaming babies (twice in coach and once in business).

With the best will in the world neither the parents nor cabin crew could do
anything about it and, anyway, it is a big ask to have a baby kept quiet in
a confined space for that length of time. Inevitably other passengers are
going to be disturbed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what general airline policy is on this? *Are
there nominated flights where babies are not carried and if so how do I find
out which ones these are?

How do other people feel on this topic?

Peter

I think that people need to bring ear plugs with them. I always have
them when I travel, as another member of family snores something crazy
when he sleeps. I am fine if I can get to sleep before he does I am
fine, but if not my night is going to be a long one.

M. Graham
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimL

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

airlines are heading, we won't see anything like that.- Hide quoted text -

If we can go to our vets and get tranquilizers for our dogs and cats
before travel, why not go to the pediatrician and ....

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Irwell" wrote in message
Several years ago we flew on an internal Aeroflot plane in Russia,
they had little cribs suspended from the overhead bin area, the enfants
seem to off to sleep pretty easily, but it didn't look too safe somehow.

I suppose if the infants had to be removed from the cribs for take-off &
landing, it would be OK. Sounds like a good idea, but the way the US
airlines are heading, we won't see anything like that.- Hide quoted text -

If we can go to our vets and get tranquilizers for our dogs and cats
before travel, why not go to the pediatrician and ....

From a pediatrician may be acceptable.
I took a WN flight not too long ago, and saw a woman pumping Benedril into
an infants mouth. The kid was already asleep, and she was forcing more in.
(Stupid Bitch)

Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Blake S[_2_]

"Peter" wrote in message
Firstly, let me say that I have children of my own so I am not anti-bubs.
BUT....

On three occasions recently I have been kept awake on 13 hour flights by
screaming babies (twice in coach and once in business).

With the best will in the world neither the parents nor cabin crew could
do anything about it and, anyway, it is a big ask to have a baby kept
quiet in a confined space for that length of time. Inevitably other
passengers are going to be disturbed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what general airline policy is on this? Are
there nominated flights where babies are not carried and if so how do I
find out which ones these are?

How do other people feel on this topic?

Peter

If you fly business class on a 747, take a seat on the upper deck. It seems
that there are almost no children seated there, ever. I don't know if this
is the airlines policy or not, but your chances are good that there will be
no children up there.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.activism.death-penalty
Gregory Morrow[_92_]

Default Kept Awake by Crying scRunges

scRunge13 blabbles:

Not really a fascinating topic, don't feel anything about it.

Any baby in your presence would prolly die of fright, scRunge...or simply
puke in disgust...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking