Fire in LA

Old October 28th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Roland Schmidt

Default Fire in LA

Hi,

I'm heading over from Belgium in one week for a short USA-trip.
Departing in LA and leaving to Las Vegas the next day by car. Now I
heard, because of the fire, the way to LV is closed. True or wrong? If
it's closed, what's the alternative route to Las Vegas? There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

Thanx
Gerald
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Brian K

On 10/28/2003 12:49 AM Roland Schmidt while directing tourists to the
Zazu Pits, was inclined to say:

Hi,

I'm heading over from Belgium in one week for a short USA-trip.
Departing in LA and leaving to Las Vegas the next day by car. Now I
heard, because of the fire, the way to LV is closed. True or wrong? If
it's closed, what's the alternative route to Las Vegas? There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

Thanx
Gerald

The firestorms are so intense that they are spawning tornadoes of fire.
One of the wildfires is over 3 miles long. On my local television
station I saw a satilite image of smoke from the fire blown more than 15
miles over the Pacific Ocean. As of right now, LAX Los Angles
International Airport is closed due to lack of viability. For up to
date info read the L. A. Times at: http://www.latimes.com/

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old October 28th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Gerald Fraux

The firestorms are so intense that they are spawning tornadoes of fire.
One of the wildfires is over 3 miles long. On my local television
station I saw a satilite image of smoke from the fire blown more than 15
miles over the Pacific Ocean. As of right now, LAX Los Angles
International Airport is closed due to lack of viability. For up to
date info read the L. A. Times at: http://www.latimes.com/

I found a map which shows the fire areas. Holy s..., unbelievable. I
hope for all the folks over there, that you'll get rain, real soon.

I guess I picked a bad time for my trip.........

Gerald
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:34 AM
fishman

"Gerald Fraux" wrote in message
The firestorms are so intense that they are spawning tornadoes of fire.
One of the wildfires is over 3 miles long. On my local television
station I saw a satilite image of smoke from the fire blown more than 15
miles over the Pacific Ocean. As of right now, LAX Los Angles
International Airport is closed due to lack of viability. For up to
date info read the L. A. Times at: http://www.latimes.com/

I found a map which shows the fire areas. Holy s..., unbelievable. I
hope for all the folks over there, that you'll get rain, real soon.

I guess I picked a bad time for my trip.........

Gerald

It is terrible. However, the worst should be over by next week and your
trip should be OK. Be sure to drop a few dollars in the 'rescue fund'
donation buckets when you see them.

Chris

Old October 28th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Gerald Fraux

It is terrible. However, the worst should be over by next week and your
trip should be OK. Be sure to drop a few dollars in the 'rescue fund'
donation buckets when you see them.

I am really sad what happens and will drop some bucks for sure.

Gerald
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
Roland Schmidt wrote:

Hi,

I'm heading over from Belgium in one week for a short USA-trip.
Departing in LA and leaving to Las Vegas the next day by car. Now I
heard, because of the fire, the way to LV is closed. True or wrong?

I-15 is now open again.

If it's closed, what's the alternative route to Las Vegas?

Yes, maybe 30 min longer, depending on where in Los Angeles you want to
go.

There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

There are 5 main fires burning, one of them has a fire line some 40
miles long. In total, the fires have consumed more than 500,000 sq
miles... about the size of the State of Rhode Island. More than 300
private homes have been destroyed and 12 lives have been lost.

By next week, hopefully, the worst will be over. The damage is in the
billions of dollars and it looks like these fires were intentionally
started.

Enjoy your trip.

jay
Tue, Oct 28, 2003

Thanx
Gerald

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:11 PM
gerald fraux

There is no
real information over here how big the fire is.

I found a map on latimes.com. As I know the area I can imagine how
huge this fire is.
This trip won't be as my other trips before.

By next week, hopefully, the worst will be over. The damage is in the
billions of dollars and it looks like these fires were intentionally
started.

Rumors say, this was another terror attack. Seems to be possible. One
more reason to support the USA.

All the best
Gerald
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Mark Hewitt

"gerald fraux" wrote in message

Rumors say, this was another terror attack. Seems to be possible. One
more reason to support the USA.

Unlikely. Forest fires happen all the time, every year in fact. Why a
terrorist attack this time?

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Gerald Fraux

Unlikely. Forest fires happen all the time, every year in fact. Why a
terrorist attack this time?

As I said, it's a rumor. I never said it's true or not.

Gerald