Delayed baggage-must airlines deliver?

Old March 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Delayed baggage-must airlines deliver?

We are booked to travel in April from TLV to MIA on Iberia, via Madrid.
Flying Iberia was a significantly cheaper option for our family of
four, however I have now read so many horror stories about Iberia that
I am seriously worried about the fate of our baggage.

I figure we can easily deal with surly staff and lousy food (we'll pack
meals), and I won't be packing anything very valuable or irreplaceable
in the baggage, but what is the procedure if the bags arrive a day or
two after we do? Is the airline required to deliver them to where we
are staying?

I ask because we will be staying a good 2 hours drive from MIA and I
don't want to have to waste time and gas on a four hour round trip to
fetch the missing bags. What are our options in this event? Any tips on
how to deal with such a situation appreciated.

--Lisa

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote .
We are booked to travel in April from TLV to MIA on Iberia, via Madrid.
Flying Iberia was a significantly cheaper option for our family of
four, however I have now read so many horror stories about Iberia that
I am seriously worried about the fate of our baggage.

I figure we can easily deal with surly staff and lousy food (we'll pack
meals), and I won't be packing anything very valuable or irreplaceable
in the baggage, but what is the procedure if the bags arrive a day or
two after we do? Is the airline required to deliver them to where we
are staying?

I ask because we will be staying a good 2 hours drive from MIA and I
don't want to have to waste time and gas on a four hour round trip to
fetch the missing bags. What are our options in this event? Any tips on
how to deal with such a situation appreciated.

If the bags don't arrive, simply leave a child at the airport to claim them
and watch them until you can return and fetch bags and the little bugger.
You'll save money on meals, and after a day or two the pangs of missing him
will begin to wear off as you discover a whole new world enabled by his
absence.

If he's still at the airport when you head home, he'll be overjoyed to see
you (and will consume all of Iberia's meals without demur). If not, couples
are usually able to produce another in a reasonable time frame. Don't worry
about his future. He'll be nurtured by the state and may decide to join the
Guardia Civil upon coming of age.

The only viable alternatives are the overhead bins (where in case your bag
is too big to fit, you may conveniently cram in a small child, releasing his
or her seat to hold the bags, belted for safety).

Don't worry....If you take four bags, odds are 3 will arrive. Simply spread
your clothes among the bags.

TMO

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air

SNIP
If he's still at the airport when you head home, he'll be overjoyed to see
you (and will consume all of Iberia's meals without demur). If not, couples
are usually able to produce another in a reasonable time frame.

Hi

Joking apart, I heard an apparently true story when I was in Peru a
year or two ago.

During a fairly severe earthquake in a particularly poor part of the
country, a villager was seen running out of his house clutching a
television set, leaving his 3 year old son to save himself. Somebody
asked wasn't his son more important than a television set, whereupon
he replied, "Not bloody likely. I can make another one of those in 9
months - it took me 7 years to save for a television set."

Regards
KGB

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air

I don't know if the airlines have to, but most if not all will deliver
delayed baggage. Most times a courier delivers it, but have even had
UPS do the job (just a luggaage cart) one time when I was not no where
near an airport. Did arrive until the night before I was to go home.

Michael