Cruise or not

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Cruise or not

"Skipfromla" wrote in message
In 1999, we took an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Wind, the only
cruise we've been on. The service couldn't was wonderful and I don't
see how it could have been better, possibly because of assigned meal
seatings with the same table, same waiter, same cabin steward and tips
in cash at the end of the cruise. The food was wonderful, so good in
fact, we never went to the one extra-pay restaurant.

We were thinking of taking another cruise but after speaking to
several friends about their resent cruises, we may not. Every one of
them said the freestyle dining and tips that are added to your bill
that don't reflect service levels, have caused a severe decline in
service. They also mentioned that the quality of food and attitude of
the crew had been less than acceptable.

Some of my friends, just about all of them cruising on different
cruise lines, were told essentially the same thing by crew members,
that there was no point in going that extra mile in service to the
passengers because they don't get more in tips if they give good
service and don't get less if they give minimal service or maybe even
poorer service. The crew member also said that the tips are now also
going to the salaried people behind the scenes, not just those who
live on their tips and went on to say that the company was charging a
percentage of the tips for a processing fee that comes out of the
pockets of the crew. I have no idea if all this is really true but it
sounds like it could be.

If we are going to spend that much money on a cruise, we expect great
service and food. If we can be expected to be treated like cattle, I
have no interest in cruising.

Hi Skip... welcome to r.t.c.

Skip, NCL has changed a lot since 1999... and not for the better. But the
entire cruise industry has changed a lot in the past 10 years and some of
the changes are pretty good (and some not so good).

While most of the mass markets lines have some sort of "freestyle",
"personal choice", "my time" type of dining, it is true that traditional
early or late seatings are available on most ships. While I like the
freedom of being able to go to dinner any time I want between say 5:30 and
10 PM, you do give up the familiarity of having the same waitstaff for every
evening. For me, not a big deal. For others who like having the same
waiter every evening, they rather have traditional dining.

One thing for sure... back in the 90's, a waiter usually has between 16 and
20 people per seating. Now, they are more likely to have 24. I think the
food has improved since the 90's pretty much across the board (except for
NCL)

Cabin service has remained good on most cruise lines. Many have doubled the
number of cabins that a Steward may have, but they now have assistants. The
assistants may not have the language skills necessary to inter-act with the
passengers.

The big positive change is in the ships themselves. Cruise lines have been
touting the "ship as destination" and the advances in facilities is
astounding... including ice skating rinks, flow-riders, outdoor movie
screens, rock climbing walls, glass making facilities, expended gyms... you
name it. it is all about the facilities, now.

One other thing has changed..... prices are now cheaper than they were 10
years ago. We recently booked a group where inside cabins sold for less
than $500 pp for a 7 night cruise. I don't know what you paid for your NCL
cruise in 1999, but I'd bet that booking a similar cabin on a similar
itinerary now would be the same price... or cheaper.

BTW - I sailed on the Norwegian Wind twice and her sister ship the Norwegian
Dream once. They started out as the Windward and the Dreamward and they
were both cut in half, and had a new mid-section added that gave them more
cabins and a little more public space. They were nicer as they were
originally built... but I enjoyed them both.

If the Wind was the last ship you were on... you will be amazed at the new
ships.

--
George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Old August 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Skipfromla
wrote:

If we are going to spend that much money on a cruise, we expect great
service and food. If we can be expected to be treated like cattle, I
have no interest in cruising.

You might want to look into some of the more boutique or luxury cruise
lines. The mass market cruise lines don't have wonderful food anymore.
I think the service is still pretty good but if you have 3000 people on
a ship it is not going to be the same as on a smaller ship of 1000 or
less where the staff will remember you and your preferences.

--
Charles
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ND-TX

[...]

Skip

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on Serenade OTS (Royal Caribbean).
Our 6th cruise, 5th on RCL - and the best so far, though we never had a bad
cruise. The service was better than ever, the food was good (though I'd say
a notch worse than before). No, we were not treated like cattle. We loved
the cruise overall so much, we immediately booked another cruise in
November. Call us crazy, if you will.

Of course, this is RCL, so "free-style-cruising" is optional, and automatic
tipping too. So we chose assigned seating (early) and personal tipping.
Service was very personal. Waiters remembered our names, eating/drinking
habits, etc. We shared a lot of laughs, hugs at the end, etc. Cabin
attendant did his job well.

I know RCCL has free-style cruising (which most likely requires automatic
tipping), meaning random waiters every night - and therefore random service.

On RCL even during open seating (breakfast, lunch) the service was good. It
was just better in the evening.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Happy sailings everyone.

NND-TX

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:32:16 GMT, "Riley 77"
wrote:

"Skipfromla" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dear Lord Fauntleroy,

I've been on five Caribbean cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean
since 2006 and have yet to have an experience which would remotely turn me
away from the ships. Aside from one minor lavatory problem which was
cleared up in 15 minutes with apologies, every expereince has been to my
liking from the food to the service which was always attentive.

The tips were merely added on to my bill at cruises end, except for room
service where we gladly tipped in person. All staff..and I do mean ALL staff
was gracious and professional. Not a sullen one amongst them.

I have the feeling that on dry land and sea you are the type that
insists your rear end be kissed at all times, from the office to the on deck
hot tub, and quite frankly, I cruise to get as far away from people like you
as I possibly can, as I work for and with people such as yourself.

Your opinion is duly noted. We invite you to search other usenet groups
to find leisure time activities that may better suit your tastes and needs.

Have a pleasant day.

I see. So unless I do nothing but rave about cruising, I should go
away. My point, Poindexter, wasn't that cruising is crappy it was my
observations and those of others. I was waiting for helpful people
who would point me in the right direction. I guess that was too
difficult for you. Your comments on your cruises were well written
and informative, exactly what I was looking for, except you seem to
have written them to prove me wrong in some kind of imaginary contest
that's only in your head. Your hostility for me daring to say there
are cruises where people are not happy is childish and petulant.

As for your feeling about what my feeling is, I have the feeling you
don't read minds, have no idea what I'm thinking but see it as an
opportunity be to the "defender of the newsgroup" for what ever
reasons you have. Being helpful is much more of a mature response
than hostility cloaked in faux pleasantness.

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:27:55 -0400, (Surfer E2468)
wrote:

Cruise any line except NCL they are the worst

cruise lover(~~~~~)

I enjoyed our cruise on NCL but I guess things change. Thanks for you
response.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:16:20 -0400, "Tom K"
wrote:

"Skipfromla" wrote in message
.. .
In 1999, we took an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Wind, the only
cruise we've been on. The service couldn't was wonderful and I don't
see how it could have been better, possibly because of assigned meal
seatings with the same table, same waiter, same cabin steward and tips
in cash at the end of the cruise. The food was wonderful, so good in
fact, we never went to the one extra-pay restaurant.

We were thinking of taking another cruise but after speaking to
several friends about their resent cruises, we may not. Every one of
them said the freestyle dining and tips that are added to your bill
that don't reflect service levels, have caused a severe decline in
service. They also mentioned that the quality of food and attitude of
the crew had been less than acceptable.

There are a lot of other options besides NCL.

Cruise lines are typically grouped into the following categories:
Mass Market
Premium
Luxury

NCL is in the Mass Market group, along with Royal Caribbean, Carnival,
Princess.

Some lines like Royal Caribbean focus on activities (ice shows, mini golf,
rock climbing, etc.). Others like Celebrity focus on pampering and better
food. Some put Celebrity in the Premium category, though they are still a
mass market, albeit a bit more upscale. Then there's the expensive boys
like Crystal where food and service are superb. They're the luxury boys.
But big money. In between there is a new category comprised of Oceania,
which has smaller ships but outstanding food.

For what it's worth, I've seen no decline in service, though food can be hit
or miss in the mass market group. Celebrity has made a niche based on
better food. I think their food is considerable better than NCL food.
Their service is also a notch above the Mass market lines. Plus they still
have assigned seating times. And I thought Cunard (the Queen Mary 2) had
even better food than Celebrity, though Cunard is very dressy. If you want
even better food there is Oceania and the luxury brands.

Here's a very quick 4 question test to help pick a cruise line. It doesn't
include food though. It might help you look at options to NCL. Let us know
what you come up with.

http://www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp

--Tom

Thanks for your response. It's entirely possible that the people I
spoke with had unreasonable expectations. I didn't question them, I
just listened to their comments. I'll call some of them and ask
specific questions to find out exactly what the problems were. I'm a
realist and know that nothing is ever perfect.

I appreciate your answer as opposed to those who seem to think I was
bashing cruising and evidently pricked their egos while having the
audacity to post such things in their personal newsgroup.

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:47:31 -0500, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I have cruised RCCI, HA, Celebrity and Princess since 1999, and have had
good to excellent service on each cruise with no decline evident. Our first
cruise was 1960. We only use the regular dining room, assigned seating and
the food has been to our satisfaction. We had no complaints on service, in
fact, on three separate cruises, companions or tablemates have attempted to
hire employees away from the cruise line. In my experience, successful
business people are always on the lookout for quality employees and cruise
ships can be a good source.

I don't know if you will have the same results, but go with a positive
attitude and you should have a good time. If you stay home, you know you
won't have a good cruise. JMHO.

Harry Cooper

I've never had a negative experience cruising but then I've only been
on one cruise. You make some good points. Thanks.

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

I don't know how you could have had different cabin stewards no matter
what cruise line it was.

I didn't. We had the same cabin steward for the entire cruise. I'll
have to ask them more pointed questions.

RCCI has assigned meal seatings with the same waiter and table and I
think Celebrity does too. HAL and Princess (I think) has both
assigned seating and personal choice.

You can still, I think, tip in cash, but I prefer not to.

I have nothing against having the tips included in the charge for the
cruise as long as it doesn't lower the standard of service. From the
answers I've received, even the hostile ones, it appears that it
mostly hasn't.

I've heard all kinds of things about the tips, most of which I don't
believe. If the salaried people took the tips, then they'd not just
have unmotivated workers, they'd have no workers at all as those jobs
wouldn't be attractive. Sounds like the crew member wanted you to tip
him/her extra in cash.

It wasn't me, it was people I know who had taken recent cruises but
you could be right.

Depends on what you call 'that much money'. On our boat we spend a
maximum of $80 each a day if we spend the night in a marina and eat
dinner out. And we don't have to pay large amounts for a hotel room.
Mostly the highest marina charge is $90 a night. So IMO, if a cruise
costs under $200/day each, it is cheap. I expect good food and good
service (not being treated like cattle whatever that is), but nothing
extra special.

Included $80 to $100 a day in tips would be fine since it's less than
we tipped at the end of the cruise. I don't mind tipping for good
service. I feel they work for me and should be rewarded as I'd reward
my real employees for doing superior work.

Now if you are going to pay $20,000.00 for a cruise on Crystal, then
you have a right to expect to eat well and be treated like a king (or
a millionaire).

Doubtful I'll be spending that on a cruise although I get your point.

Since 2004, I have only cruised HAL, RCCI and NCL (10 cruises) and we
are trying Celebrity for the first time this winter. I have seen that
the stewards have more rooms to keep and have to work harder or at
least their work is more evident - they are not as invisible as in the
past.

I don't expect someone to appear magically to pick something up I just
dropped. I was amazed that the room stewards work as quickly as they
seem to do.

We also normally just eat in the regular dining room, and I've always
found good food to eat and some of it was excellent. Some of the
dining room employees were better than others, but that was true from
the very first cruise (which was on NCL)

I don't know how big the Wind was, but I prefer the smaller ships. I
think there's likelihood of being one of a huge herd on the larger
ships.

The Wind wasn't one of the larger ship and the only time I saw it
crowded was at the end of the cruise when we disembarked.

Thanks for your comments.