Barcelona - pickpockets

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
berry[_2_]

Default Barcelona - pickpockets

I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? Good idea?

Thanks.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Z. Greenberger[_2_]

berry wrote:
I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? Good idea?

Thanks.

When I was in Las Ramblas in Barcelona two years ago, nobody would
accept US Dollars so I went to an ATM machine and got Euros. However,
I was charged a commission at both ends so nothing was really a bargain.
Unless you are going to other "Euro" countries after that, small
denominations would be wise.
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT[_4_]

"berry" wrote in message

I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? Good idea?

It depends on how much you intend to spend. The smallest value note is 5,
the one Euro is a coin.
--
JohnT

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Oct 14, 8:54*pm, (berry) wrote:
I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). *I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? *Good idea?

Thanks.

Barcelona does indeed have that reputation ...especially at the busy
area in Las Ramblas ... So it is best to be prepared and alert ...
They're said to be more brazen and less stealthy than other places ...
Watch yourself especially around an ATM machine though ... If they get
your pin ... they'll find a way to get your card ...

That ATM machine though is the best place to get Euros ... my bank
converted withdrawals at the exchange rate for the day ... without the
huge buy/sell differential you get through the exchanges ... Watch the
money though ... Although we have 6 coins here in America ... only
four are used ... the 8 coins associated with the euro including 1 and
2 euro coins are all used ... hard for one to recognize at first if
not used to it ... and those giving change ... know you're a
tourist ... and will apologize profusely when caught giving the wrong
change ...

Old October 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

(berry) wrote:

I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

I heard that too. I didn't have any problem there, but my grandson said he saw
a gang of kids who snatched someone's daypack and ran off. Of course it could
have been just kids fooling around. We sat for a short time in a square and
observed people, and he said he saw people who appeared not to know each other
but who actually did communicate. It is possible there are some snatch and grab
type people in addition to the sneaky pick-pocket type people

I have been with people who had a problem in other areas of Spain but it was 45
years ago. My mom had a coin purse stolen out of a small waist bag in a
bookstore, and a girl on a day trip to Segovia with us had her gold card stolen
twice in three days. She carried it in a little tiny shoulder bag, not much
larger than passport size.

For myself, I take all my jewelry off and leave it at home with the exception of
a plain gold wedding band of no emotional significance. I do wear a waist bag -
in front. For a tour or walking around in a city, I have in it a small change
purse with one credit card, a photo ID (not my passport), a small amount of
money and my camera batteries.

I carry my passport and an alternate credit card under my clothing against my
body except when I'm actually in places where I need to take it out, and then I
have it in one of those passport carriers that go around my neck. Otherwise, I
can't get to it without undressing. [I had my extra money there plus some pills
in a carrier that rattled when I was going through Heathrow in a wheelchair, and
when they patted me down they wanted to look at this, and I said I couldn't get
to it without undressing - I was wearing a one piece dress with sleeves. They
took me into a separate room so I could pull my dress up and they could inspect
it. My grandson thought this was hilarious - he kept saying "Grandma had a
cavity search, Grandma had a cavity search.]

My husband has a belt safe which hooks over his belt and is inside his trousers
- very hard to get things out of, so I think it would be equally hard for a
thief.. He wraps his wallet with rubber bands.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? Good idea?

Thanks.

I try to use a credit card for everything I can. (Be sure your card doesn't
charge extra for other currencies, and tell them you are going to be traveling.)
The ship will probably charge you a percentage like 3% - more than what an ATM
would charge for giving you Euros. I changed some money at the airport. I have
gotten money at an ATM (be sure you have a pin that uses numbers as the ATMs in
Europe may not have the letters on them), and then bought a gellato so that I'd
have change.

It's a good idea to have some small US$ denominations. I would say $10 worth of
ones and a couple of $5s

Old October 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:54:32 GMT, (berry) wrote:

I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

Also, haven't bought Euros yet. Have been told - to get them
in small denominations. Like 1, 5 and 10? Good idea?

Thanks.

I'm not a fan of fanny or waist packs. I've seen too many of them
stolen right off people with a sharp blade cutting the strap, unless
you get one with the steel cable in the strap that REI used to sell.

You might want to try a good travel vest like the ones Tiley
Endurables make. The are a bit pricey but their stuff seems to last
for ever and most have a lifetime replacement guarantee if the item
wears out. There are cheaper travel vests available but I've never
seen the others with the same quality as Tiley has. They are think
enough to wear under a jacket and cool enough to wear on a hot/humid
day.

I've had one of their travel vests for years and it still looks new.
I've been bumped and prodded, maybe by pickpockets, maybe not, but
I've never lost anything out of it.

Also, it's great for airport security. I keep all my metal stuff in
it so all I have to do is take the vest off and put it on the conveyer
belt to be scanned. No more digging around in my coat or pants
pockets.

Anyway, if you are interested, take a look.
http://www.tilley.com/thumbnail.asp?...egory Id&id=9

No, I don't own any part of Tilley, I just like their travel stuff.

Skip
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Oct 15, 10:28*am, Rosalie B. wrote:
(berry) wrote:

I've heard that Barcelona is rife with pickpockets. Will be there in 3
weeks (RCCL cruise). *I do not intend to carry a purse -- but maybe
wear one of those little waist bags -- lipstick, cc and very little of
anything else in it.

I heard that too. *I didn't have any problem there, but my grandson said he saw
a gang of kids who snatched someone's daypack and ran off. * Of course it could
have been just kids fooling around. *We sat for a short time in a square and
observed people, and he said he saw people who appeared not to know each other
but who actually did communicate. *It is possible there are some snatch and grab
type people in addition to the sneaky pick-pocket type people

While sitting and resting a bit in Las Ramblas ... I watched someone
basically casing out the ATM machine (one of the many there) ...
Oblivious to it ... looking off in another direction ... until someone
came to use it ... I'm sure he got the PIN because he started
following the guy ... who I feel luckily hailed a taxi very quickly
and left ...
There were a couple other suspicious people I noticed like your
grandson did ... and I'm sure many more ... who didn't look suspicious
at all ... and therefore ... not noticed ...

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

We had no problem in barcelona and we were there 4 times,but you really
must be careful,as stated there are numerous pick pockets,and they will
try to distract you so they can help themselves.
The cruise director on one of our sailings had his belongings
taken,since he was not aware of the problem and he trusted everyone. I
wear a bosom buddy,and it fits around my neck,and into my bra. Usually
only carry a couple one's and my credit card,and health card.
surfer e2468

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old October 15th, 2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

My cow got pickpoked right on thr Ramles in Barceloma...good thing I didn't
get my hands on the theif..Senior citisen