Border crossing Kenya-Tanzania with rental car?

Old September 10th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Dieter

Default Border crossing Kenya-Tanzania with rental car?

I'd love to know whether it is currently possible to cross the
Kenya/Tanzania border with a rental car. Grateful for any up to date
experiences about hassle involved. I don't mind a couple of hours at
the border post but don't want to spend an entire vacation there.

I understand Rasul's car hire has been recommended by knowledgable
persons such as Hans-Georg Michna in this forum. Any other good
experiences with 4x4 hire in Nairobi ?

Thanks a lot in advance, Dieter Ebeling
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Gary Balfour

(Dieter) wrote in message . com...
I'd love to know whether it is currently possible to cross the
Kenya/Tanzania border with a rental car. Grateful for any up to date
experiences about hassle involved. I don't mind a couple of hours at
the border post but don't want to spend an entire vacation there.

I understand Rasul's car hire has been recommended by knowledgable
persons such as Hans-Georg Michna in this forum. Any other good
experiences with 4x4 hire in Nairobi ?

Thanks a lot in advance, Dieter Ebeling

Yes, it is possible. There is a documentation fee paid to the rental
company that covers the insurance outside of Kenya and the temporary
exportation documents. When you reach Namanga, you must leave some
documents with the Kenyan customs. There is a charge for this if out
of normal business hours (overtime), otherwise that part has not fee.

Then the Tanzanian customs will require a road license. This cost
varies depending on the lenghth of time you will be in Tanzania and
the type of car.

Some companies (mine for example) have agreements with an office in
Arusha in case you have problems in Tanzania or if you decide to
terminate the rental there.

You should be advised that the fee to enter a national park with a
foreign registered vehicle is much higher than a Tanzanian registered
one.

Safari njema!
Gary
Hertz Kenya

Send ecards with African themes, read the latest restaurant review and
more at
www.safari.cc.

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Gary Balfour

"Orzowei" wrote in message ...
I thought you´re not allowed to drive outside Dar es Salaam.

It would be pretty difficult getting around Tanzania if that were the case. There are no restrictions for driving in Tanzania so long as the vehicles are properly registered (with all of the documents present) and insured and the drivers have valid driving licenses and international license if they are not from East Africa.

The only regulation that sometimes confuses people is that a Kenyan
Tour Company vehicle (commercially registered) is not allowed into a
Tanzanian park because it would deny Tanzanian companies who have paid
their fees and licenses the clients.

The same is true for a Tanzanian tour company vehicle going to a
Kenyan game park.

Best regards,
Gary

Take a virtual safari at www.safari.cc