Ticket Revoked By El-Al

Old February 17th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Rubey Vogle

Default Ticket Revoked By El-Al

I bought 4 tickets from London to Israel on El-Al from gorillaair.com
I even received the tickets and had seat assignments. The flight is in
6 weeks.

El-Al just called me up and told me they're canceling my tickets due
to overbooking and placing me on standby. This will end up costing me
thousands of dollars as now I have to either miss a week of work or
rebook at double the price.

Can they do this?

Old February 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Malcolm Loades

In message , Rubey
Vogle writes
I bought 4 tickets from London to Israel on El-Al from gorillaair.com
I even received the tickets and had seat assignments. The flight is in
6 weeks.

El-Al just called me up and told me they're canceling my tickets due
to overbooking and placing me on standby. This will end up costing me
thousands of dollars as now I have to either miss a week of work or
rebook at double the price.

How did you manage to book that flight with gorillaair? Their website
clearly states "All Fares in US$ / Departure must begin in USA/Canada".
Do you mean London, Ontario?
--
Malcolm

Old February 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Rubey Vogle schrieb:

I bought 4 tickets from London to Israel on El-Al from gorillaair.com
I even received the tickets and had seat assignments. The flight is in
6 weeks.

El-Al just called me up and told me they're canceling my tickets due
to overbooking and placing me on standby. This will end up costing me
thousands of dollars as now I have to either miss a week of work or
rebook at double the price.

Can they do this?

See http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/citizens/en/uk/010991.htm just for
beginning.

"to choose between reimbursement without penalty of the cost of the
ticket for the part of the journey not made, re-routing to his final
destination at the earliest opportunity and re-routing at a later date
at his convenience. If the passenger chooses to be re-routed at the
earliest opportunity and this re-routing takes place from another
airport, the air carrier must pay the cost of travel to this other
airport"

Regards, ULF
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Binyamin Dissen
writes
At any rate, the people you should be pushing are gorillaair.com. They are
your agent.

Their T&C have a certain robust flavour to them.

eg:

CHANGES & SPONTANEOUS CANCELLATIONS MADE BY THE AIRLINE:

Airlines reserve the right to cancel or change schedules without
notice. Schedules shown are based on expected flying times as
indicated by the airlines. Because weather, war, world virus
outbreaks, natural disastors, simple cost-cutting and other
factors may cause airlines to cancel or reschedule flights,
flights cannot be guaranteed nor are the responsibility of
AirGorilla, but they are between you and your airline [...]

http://www.airgorilla.com/terms.html#spontaneous
--
Roland Perry
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Gunnar Evermann

Roland Perry writes:

In message , Binyamin Dissen
writes
At any rate, the people you should be pushing are gorillaair.com. They are
your agent.

Their T&C have a certain robust flavour to them.

eg:

CHANGES & SPONTANEOUS CANCELLATIONS MADE BY THE AIRLINE:

Airlines reserve the right to cancel or change schedules without
notice. Schedules shown are based on expected flying times as
indicated by the airlines. Because weather, war, world virus
outbreaks, natural disastors, simple cost-cutting and other
factors may cause airlines to cancel or reschedule flights,
flights cannot be guaranteed nor are the responsibility of
AirGorilla, but they are between you and your airline [...]

http://www.airgorilla.com/terms.html#spontaneous

:-)
however none of this applies in this situation. El-Al didn't cancel
the flight they just bumped the original poster of the flight.

It is my understanding that they are not allowed to do this without
paying the denied boarding compansation (DBC) defined by law.

Gunnar
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Binyamin Dissen

:
: CHANGES & SPONTANEOUS CANCELLATIONS MADE BY THE AIRLINE:
:
: Airlines reserve the right to cancel or change schedules without
: notice. Schedules shown are based on expected flying times as
: indicated by the airlines. Because weather, war, world virus
: outbreaks, natural disastors, simple cost-cutting and other
: factors may cause airlines to cancel or reschedule flights,
: flights cannot be guaranteed nor are the responsibility of
: AirGorilla, but they are between you and your airline [...]

:http://www.airgorilla.com/terms.html#spontaneous

They are attempting to cover themselves.

They are the ones who issued the ticket.

They are the ones who are on the firing line.

They cannot dodge the responsibility by adding something to their T&C unless
the airline agrees to it.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Gunnar Evermann
writes
http://www.airgorilla.com/terms.html#spontaneous

:-)
however none of this applies in this situation. El-Al didn't cancel
the flight they just bumped the original poster of the flight.

The paragraph I quoted goes on to say you might get bumped, and that
once again "This is between you and the airline."

It is my understanding that they are not allowed to do this without
paying the denied boarding compansation (DBC) defined by law.

Perhaps so. Although there's quite a difference between being bumped on
the day, and six weeks in advance.

Reading the OP's posting again, the airline is talking about "standby"
and the OP about "missing a week's work". Do they only fly once a week,
and why does the OP think he won't get a standby seat on the original
flight, but will get one a week later? Or have they offered him a
definite seat, but only a week later? Or is his trip only for a week,
and missing the first flight means he just can't go at all?

And if the flight's full, how can he get a seat at "double the price" -
will the airline be forced to bump another low price passenger, or is
that with a different airline?
--
Roland Perry
Old February 17th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Steve

consolidators have but two jobs:
1. negotiate and secure price
2. issue the ticket

once the ticket is issued it is a contract between the pax and the airline -
and it calls up the same contract of carriage that applies to all pax and
all regulations by which the airline must operate

before the ticket is issued, the consolidator is performance bound and after
the ticket is issued, the carriers are performance bound

any office which issues an airline ticket must be a member of and have staff
who are trained and certified by the Airline Recording Corporation and the
company must be a member of the International Air Transport Association -
both of which apply to every airline

remember - the consolidator or agency is issuing the ticket (on behalf of)
the airline and under contract with that airline - thus the issuance of the
ticket demarks the areas of responsibility to the pax

of course- non of this bars a consolidator or an agent from attempting to
assist the pax when a problem comes along - sometimes they can be helpful

Old February 17th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Steve
writes
remember - the consolidator or agency is issuing the ticket (on behalf of)
the airline and under contract with that airline - thus the issuance of the
ticket demarks the areas of responsibility to the pax

It gets more complicated why you pay by (UK) Credit Card. But perhaps
the OP isn't UK-based because as another has commented this particular
consolidator says he only does fares for trips starting in America.
--
Roland Perry