Carry ons.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

Default Carry ons.

The guy in front of me at CPH yesterday had four, yes four, items of carry
on.
So much for the new single item rule.

(Glad I wasn't on the same plane as him)

tim

Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 08:28:05 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

The guy in front of me at CPH yesterday had four, yes four, items of carry
on.
So much for the new single item rule.

(Glad I wasn't on the same plane as him)

What, exactly, were the four items?

Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

wrote:

The guy in front of me at CPH yesterday had four, yes four, items of carry
on. So much for the new single item rule.

(Glad I wasn't on the same plane as him)

What, exactly, were the four items?

A more important question is, "Did the airline take most of them away from
the idiot and put them in the cargo hold..?"

That all depends. I've carried more then two carry-on items before,
although they all fit nicely into my backpack, I only carried them in my
hands so that I wouldn't hold up the line pulling stuff out of my
backpack after finding my seat (before putting my backpack in the
overhead bin)

It's never been an issue.

(Normally we're talking headphones, MP3 player, sometimes a PSP, etc.

These days I have a carryon bag (actually my headphone bag, I use a
large set of Sony Studio Monitor headphones) for all my in-the-seat
stuff, so I won't really know if the enforcement starts changing.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

wrote:

The guy in front of me at CPH yesterday had four, yes four, items of carry
on.
So much for the new single item rule.

(Glad I wasn't on the same plane as him)

What, exactly, were the four items?

A laptop bag (the laptop went through separately), a normal sized
carry on bag, a small rucksack and a rolled up 'tube' about 12
inches in diameter. It was obviously far too much, but he was
allowed to keep it all.

tim

Old November 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

What, exactly, were the four items?

A laptop bag (the laptop went through separately), a normal sized
carry on bag, a small rucksack and a rolled up 'tube' about 12
inches in diameter. It was obviously far too much, but he was
allowed to keep it all.

Alot of this stuff could have been stuffed into the carry on bag.

Its usually the gate agents responsibility to determine what is
acceptable in terms of Carry On's.
Some airlines are lax and some more stringent.
Most of the airlines I fly allow one Carryon Luggage and one personal
item.
The personal item can be a purse or laptop or the like.
When I have had more to carry on, I shove my laptop in the carryon
bag.
When going thru TSA security, it SEEMS like I have a lot of stuff,
( laptop food quart baggie of toiletries etc) but more often than Not,
I am repacking it after TSA into one or 2 carryons (within
Limitations)

The airlines usually let u carry on extra that is purchased after TSA.
Example in tourist destinations, people load up on gift or memento
items and they are usually allowed above and beyond the 2 carryon
limit.( USA)

Old November 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Dick Locke

wrote:

The guy in front of me at CPH yesterday had four, yes four, items of carry
on.
So much for the new single item rule.

(Glad I wasn't on the same plane as him)

tim

I'm the screenee from hell.

When I travel on business I have to bring a laptop, an LCD projector,
and a CPAP (breathing assistance machine for sleep apnea--not used on
plane but too delicate to check). In the US, the CPAP machine, the
projector and of course the laptop have to come out of their carrying
cases.

So, I wind up with a line up consisting of
1. CPAP in tray
2. Laptop in tray
3. LCD projector in tray
4. CPAP carrying case
5. Projector carrying case
6. Shoes, cell phone, coins and assorted pocket junk in tray
7. Computer bag

All going through the scanner separately. Then the CPAP has to be
swabbed.

I need to put a sign on my back saying "use another line."

This of course only applies in the US. In Mexico, my belt and watch
have to come off and everything else can stay in bags.

I'm actually thinking of retiring completely because of this hassle.
Fortunately I only fly on business about three times a year now.

Old November 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

Ideally, I'd be screened carrying only an ID and wearing only a
bathrobe + bunny-slippers. :-)

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Larry in AZ
wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, Dick Locke said:

So, I wind up with a line up consisting of
1. CPAP in tray

Packed correctly, this could easily survive checked baggage. (It got
shipped from the mfg to a wharehouse, to a store, to you, didn't it..?)

Given that it could easily cost in the same ballpark as a cheap laptop,
I wouldn't really recommend checking it.

2. Laptop in tray

May as well check this one with #1 and #3.

3. LCD projector in tray

Again, this will survive checked baggage easily.

See #1, except that a decent LCD protector will probably cost
substantially more then the laptop.

Also, your lack of experience with these is showing, they often are not
shipped fully assembled, the bulb (often 33%-50% of the overall value)
may need special handling. If you're careful, moving one around with
the bulb isn't a big deal, but baggage handlers are anything but
careful.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

CPAP is a medical necessity and I would not recommend anyone check that
device. CPAPs can't be replace immediately and may take days or weeks in a
foreign city (home country or foreign country) to have it replaced. These
devices are lifesavers for most of the people using them and they need to
use them every night (and I speak from more than 10 years of experience
using one.) They can't afford to have them lost in transit for any reason. I
once had an overnight in Singapore and forgot to pack in my carryon (was in
checked baggage) the power plug adaptor that was needed to put my US plug
into the UK type socket in the transient hotel there. Never forgot that
little item again.

Once at the destination, if arrangements are made in advance (carrying CD or
DVD with all data needed) you can replace a laptop, projector, etc. just by
going to the local electronics store but not medical devices.

I personally carry a laptop, CPAP, extra laptop battery, charger, backup
DVD, video and still cameras, one change of clothes and all my medicines in
one normal sized carryon for most of my trips (pray that they never weight
it.) If I had to take my projector, then, because of its size I would need
a second case as it is not a compact unit but it would fit in a normal
laptop rolling case that I have as my personal item. The only problem I
have is having to go through security so I preplan the location of each item
so I can get them out and back in the carryon easily. Was surprised last
week when coming out of Nashville, was required to pull out the CPAP.
Didn't have to do it when leaving BWI 3 days before.

"Larry in AZ" wrote in message
.. .
Waiving the right to remain silent, Dick Locke said:

So, I wind up with a line up consisting of
1. CPAP in tray

Packed correctly, this could easily survive checked baggage. (It got
shipped from the mfg to a wharehouse, to a store, to you, didn't it..?)

2. Laptop in tray
3. LCD projector in tray

Again, this will survive checked baggage easily.

4. CPAP carrying case

See above.

5. Projector carrying case

See above.

6. Shoes, cell phone, coins and assorted pocket junk in tray
7. Computer bag

Now, you've got four fewer items to put through the scanner.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."

Old November 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message Larry in AZ
wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, Dick Locke said:

So, I wind up with a line up consisting of
1. CPAP in tray

Packed correctly, this could easily survive checked baggage. (It got
shipped from the mfg to a wharehouse, to a store, to you, didn't it..?)

Given that it could easily cost in the same ballpark as a cheap laptop,
I wouldn't really recommend checking it.

Additionally, it might not be easy to quickly replace at the
destination. If the condition is serious enough to warrant the use of a
CPAP, it can kill you to not have one.