Restaurant tipping in Europe?

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Restaurant tipping in Europe?

Rick Steves says that restaurant services generally are included in
the final bill and that tipping should be limited to either leaving
just loose change (e.g., rounding up to the next Euro) or none at all.
He mentioned that the U.S.'s culture of tipping 15-20% is definitely
regarded as "ugly American" to Europeans. I'd certainly like to avoid
that pitfall.

During my last trip to Europe (almost 30 years ago), I thought I
recalled that each country had different tipping practices. Has the
EU created uniformity on tipping within EU countries?

We'll be visiting Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy,
Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway for our
10-week Spring trip.

I'd appreciate any guidance you may have on restaurant tipping (and
other services, too, please!) while we're traveling.

Thanks much for your help.

Stan
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman wrote:

During my last trip to Europe (almost 30 years ago), I thought I
recalled that each country had different tipping practices. Has the
EU created uniformity on tipping within EU countries?

No it hasn't. Each country has different practices, as you would expect.
In France, for example, there is a mandatory service charge added to
bills. No need to add anything.
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mike O'Sullivan wrote: Each country has different practices, as you
would expect.
In France, for example, there is a mandatory service charge added to
bills. No need to add anything.

The same is true in Germany, but we usually leave an additional tip,
the amount depending on the bill and our satisfaction with the service.

George

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 19/01/06 10:03, in article , "Earl
Evleth" wrote:

the patrib

that should read patron!

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Owlman :

Austria,

Service is included in the price on the menu (it'll normally say "Inkl.").
However it is customary to tip a little, unless the service was not to your
satisfaction - in which case don't tip.
Round up to the next 50c or Euro for small bills. A couple of drinks ~50c
max, a meal for 2 ~Eur 1-2, max.
In Austria, the basket of bread that's put on the table isn't free. You
have to remember how many you had and they'll charge you for them.
--
Tim C.
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

The British can comment on Britain, I seem to recall that in London
some credit card slips has a place for "tip". Am I correct?

Can't comment on London. But where I've been the new chip and pin systems
sometimes give you the option of leaving a tip before confirming the final
amount. Much to the embarrasment of my girlfriend with the waiter standing
over her asking her how much she would like to tip!

Tipping in resaurants depends on a few things. Personally I will usually
round the amount up to the nearest pound and then add a pound extra. e.g. If
the bill is £23.34 I will leave £25. But that is only if I have enjoyed the
meal and thought the service was good, in which case I will pay only the
stated amount.

However it's certainly not compulsory and I've never seen anyone leave
15-20% extra, although I've no doubt it happens.

But then the OP isn't going to the UK :-p

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:40:54 -0800, Owlman wrote:

Rick Steves says that restaurant services generally are included in
the final bill and that tipping should be limited to either leaving
just loose change (e.g., rounding up to the next Euro) or none at all.
He mentioned that the U.S.'s culture of tipping 15-20% is definitely
regarded as "ugly American" to Europeans. I'd certainly like to avoid
that pitfall.

The waiters and waitresses don't object to it at all. Other diners may
object to the raising of expectations.

I can't speak for all the countries on your list. However, in Ireland
I think tips are expected, although not in the 15% range.

In tourist locations in Italy, tips are expected, but 10% would be
generous. Where we live, out in the provinces (Le Marche), no one ever
tips anything.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Rick Steves says that restaurant services generally are included in
the final bill and that tipping should be limited to either leaving
just loose change (e.g., rounding up to the next Euro) or none at all.
He mentioned that the U.S.'s culture of tipping 15-20% is definitely
regarded as "ugly American" to Europeans. I'd certainly like to avoid
that pitfall.

In the Netherlands, you have the choice, if you do not give anything, no
problem.
I do not give a tip for drinks or lunch.
For dinner, 25% of Dutch people never give a tip (fooi in Dutch)
25% leave some change and 50% give a tip between 5 - 10%.
In expensive restaurants I leave between 5 and 7,5% depending on the
service; in small inexpensive restaurants about 1 Euro.

Giny