Security camera mars Jefferson Memorial

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:19 AM
caribejoe@REMOVEmycaribbe

Default Security camera mars Jefferson Memorial

On 7 Mar 2004 06:22:38 -0800, (Charles Packer)
wrote:

I was at the Jefferson Memorial yesterday photographing for a Web
page I'm planning on Washington's security barriers...

About 8 days days ago I had the thrill of doing one of those things
that had eluded me for all my 71 years. On a cool clody morning, the
day when gurus and my own obeservation agreed that the cherry blossoms
were at their peak, my oldest son (bless him) got us up at 6:00am and
we made the traffic-free run from Falls Church in what seemed to be
about 20 minutes.

We even found a parking space right in a lot to one side of the Tidal
Basin bridge.

At that hour, and perhaps due to the weather, there were relatively
few people. It was a glorious experience, everything I'd expected and
more.

However, from that perspective, the view of the Jefferson Memorial is
marred for both viewers and photographers by a grey structure that
appears to be about the size of a small construction trailer sitting
squarely in front of Memorial. My son said he believes it houses
lighting and controls for events that are held on the steps of the
Memorial and he says he thinks it's a semi-permanent installation.

Is that true? How can any photographer stand it? It is a wart on the
nose of Mona Lisa; a McDonalnds arch over the Acropolis.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
--multiplaza.nl.nu--