kangaroos @ large

Old January 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default kangaroos @ large

wrote in message
oups.com...
hi,
I'm coming to Oz Apr/May this year with my wife, planning to travel
from Sydney up to Cairns. We've got 3 weeks to spend and want to mix
diving with outback experience (we plan to rent a 4WD and rumble a bit
around qld).
but the key priority is seeing wild kangaroos in nature, at large - you
know, a herd of them running across our road at sunset or something )
anyhow, much as I know it's not really 100% certain to see live, wild
kangaroos while travelling Oz. I can be sure of seeing some dead ones
on side of the road but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

so - any advice for travelling kangaroo lovers? how can we improve our
chances?
where should we drive? where should we stay? how big - as your personal
guess - is a chance of seeing a wild kangoo? or a bunch of them?

cheers,
artur

i was in cairns last week, on the road from cairnes to port douglas, between
the road & the sea is a lot of bush, we saw loads of 'em there on several
occasions.
otherwise we visited a grave yard in perth, there were loads there eating
the flowers!

roy
roy

Old February 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Royc wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi
If you hire a 4wd and are driving you will come across kangaroos. If you
drive into country areas at night they will jump in front of your car
(we call it road kill) or as you drive and think you have missed it it
will jump into the side of your car. the headlights blind them.
Kangaroos WILL damage your car if you drive outback at night so check
your insurances when you hire a car. The 4wd's have bullbars on the
front and often on the side of the car to stop the Roo damage. There are
heaps of Wildlife parks where you can feed them and pat them.I recommend
Australian Reptile Park about 50 minutes from Sydney(at a place called
Somersby on the Central Coast,this is a beautiful place to explore most
tourists bypass the Central Coast .It is a beautiful place awesome clean
beaches.
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Thanks for that.
To tell you the truth, I'm not worried about the car now. My wife will
most certainly fall into desperation if we hurt - not even kill - a
single Roo.

So I guess this means 'no night driving'.
Fine, and thanks for the tip on Somersby.