Domus Praetoria Hotel in Rome

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gadi Ben-Avi[_2_]

Default Domus Praetoria Hotel in Rome

Hi,

I am considering staying at the Domus Praetoria hotel in Rome.

Can anyone comment on the hotel.

I've already looked at the reports on tripadvisor and other sites.

Gadi

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:42:07 +0200, "Gadi Ben-Avi"
wrote:

I am considering staying at the Domus Praetoria hotel in Rome.

Can anyone comment on the hotel.

I've already looked at the reports on tripadvisor and other sites.

I don't know the hotel, but I'll comment on its location.

I wouldn't stay there because it's far from the center of the tourist
area and therefore very inconvenient.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Gadi*Ben-Avi wrote;

I am considering staying at the Domus
Praetoria hotel in Rome.

No personal experience with the hotel but it's ~200m from the Piazza
dei Cinquecento which is in front of the Termini Train Station.
This piazza is the central hub for the buses and where the 2 metro
lines cross.

If you decide to stay there pick-up a 'Roma Metro-Bus' map from any of
the newstands in the train station.
It has a small glossy map that shows the bus lines and the tourist
sites, so it's easy to follow.

At the end of the day it's fairly easy to find main bus stops with at
least one bus heading to TERMINI (Piazza Cinquecento).

Also if you stay there you might want to check-out this restaurant in a
4C building, it's a short walk (10-15min) from the hotel.

[This post is from a couple of years ago and a couple of links are dead
but the main ones are fine.]

This restaurant also now has a website
www.termedidiocleziano.it/english.html and can also host large groups
(click-on 'Info' link).

**The restaurant is located in one of the two circular Pavilions
that were located in the corners of the vast 'Baths of Diocletian'.

**Today these 2 Pavilions are completely seperated from the
remaining ruins of the Baths which house a church, museum and a few
other areas sometimes open to the public.

**The land was purchased ~298AD and the Baths were dedicated
~305/6AD and covered a 356mx316m area.

**Now on the next 2 models of the Baths I want you to look at the
top end of the complex.
(1) http://tinyurl.com/6ow7ms
(2) http://tinyurl.com/69gvj6
**Notice in the exact center a semi-circular structure, that is the
Exedra. With rows of wide steps it was likely used for theatrical
performances and on top a terrance overlooking the city.
On each side of the Exedra there is a building which were likely
libraries.
**And on each side of the libraries there are circular dome
buildings in the corners, these are called Pavilions.
**Kind-of like this o=_^_=o in the models.
Each Pavilion had 4 entrance/exits in it, 2 inside the Bath complex and
2 outside.

**I've found nothing on the purpose of these Pavilions so I assume
they were just cool looking entrance halls vs just a doorway in the
Bath's outer wall?

**Ok put yourself in photo #2 standing in the open space in front of
the Exedra facing the Exedra.
**See the bldg behind you, today a church is located in that bldg's
remains (3) http://tinyurl.com/6xrks6
**'S. Maria degli Angeli' originally designed by Michelangelo in
1563-6.

**Today modern bldgs (~1900) were build over the area of the
semi-circular Exedra with the modern street (Via Nazionale) entering in
the middle and into the Piazza della Repubblica (where you are
imaginatively standing). (4) http://tinyurl.com/5j97lq

**The Pavilion on the right of the Exedra today is the church of 'S.
Bernardo alle Terme' (5) www.romeartlover.it/Vas127bf.jpg

And the Pavilion on the left of the Exedra today is the restaurant
called 'Ristorante Terme di Diocleziano'.
(6) http://tinyurl.com/5jdldg
(7) Also http://tinyurl.com/6466o9

These are 2 past posts of mine, the 1st is from March '05 and the 2nd
from May '06 when I visited this restaurant.

[March '05] There is a restaurant near Termini that is actually in an
intact Roman ruin.
*The ancient ruin is a Pavilion that was once part of the 'Baths of
Diocletian' which was begun in 299AD.
I didn't eat there but I checked out the prices. Which were reasonable,
alittle higher than Termini-area restaurants but cheaper than a
centrally located restaurant.

It is on Via Viminale near the corner or cross-street Via G. Amendola.
Go to;
http://classics.furman.edu/~rprior/imgs/RCU5/5-097.jpg *OR*
http://tinyurl.com/35df6x (the Termini train station would be off to the
left).
**See the semi-circular Exedra (Present day bldgs*** still follow
this line in the 'Piazza della Repubblica').

*Now see the 2 small circular bldgs in the 2 far corners of the Bath
complex, they are to the left and right of the semi-circular Exedra.

*These are round Pavilions which can be seen today.
The best one meaning more original is on Via Viminale and houses a
restaurant http://tinyurl.com/5jdldg which is
www2.siba.fi/~kkoskim/rooma/kuvat/167_029c.jpg

*The other one has been built over and is a church in the Piazza S.
Bernardo www.romeartlover.it/Vas127bf.jpg
***Photo of the Piazza della Repubblica which shows the modern buildings
built over the ancient semi-circular Exedra
http://classics.furman.edu/~rprior/imgs/RCU5/5-098.jpg *OR*
http://tinyurl.com/2qoemz
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[May '06] I just got back from Rome and I ate in that restaurant I
mention above 3x.
I'm not a foodie or a winey but I thought the food was very good, it was
the best steak I've ever had in Rome.
And the House wine is a corked bottle for 10e which I enjoyed. The
ancient Pavillion bldg that the restaurant is located in is round. A
passageway for cars was cut thru the middle that leads into a large
courtyard private parking area.
So on the ground floor the restaurant occupies ~half of the bldg. This
section seats ~36 people comfortably.
The 2nd floor (20 steps) takes up the complete bldg and seats ~100. You
can see large sections of the ancient brickwork and where it has been
modernly remodeled in the interior it is done in an ancient style. Like
the doors and archways have a brick arch over them. And along the walls
there is a concrete band ===== that protects the walls from the table
and chairs (wainscoating) with leaves and flowers in an ancient style.
And the sinks in the w.c. are like ancient clay basins. There is also a
diagram of the 'Baths of Diocletian' and info on the wall of this site
as soon as you enter.
There is also a roof garden on the 2nd floor for outside dining, this is
within the courtyard so no views except of the stars above. The service
was *very* friendly by everyone and I mean exceptional! They also had a
singer with a guitar to liven things up.
Their prices were great, I was only paying ~5e more than what I was
paying in average restaurants where I was staying near the Roman Forum.

I had their most expensive steak fillet (15E), a pasta dish, bottle of
wine, large bottle of water, bread and 10% service charge which all came
to 40e. Meat dishes; 10-15e Pasta dishes; 8-15e (half under 10e) Fish;
15e Soup; 5-8e
Hors d'oeuvre; 8-12e
Bottled 750ml House Wine; 10e.

It's called the Ristorante 'Terme di Diocleziano' on 'Via del Viminale
3/A'.
Telephone; 06.4742184 or 06.4872120
FAX; 06.48903083
Casual dress is fine.

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...