Prague - Transportation from AIrport to Hotel

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Default Prague - Transportation from AIrport to Hotel

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:57:42 -0700, "Steve Cain"
wrote:

We used this online booking service on our trip. They meet and greet you
and even at your request escort you to the airport ATM which is in a
counterintuitive position on the level above arrivals. Got an expat driver
from San Diego. Very interesting. s

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/

Great, and thanks very much. That may be the best option for us.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Frank Clarke wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:31:55 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

AAA Taxi. Look for the signs all over the airport.

I think AAA taxi are not allowed on airport premises.. but a little way out.
so look outside for their parking place and walk a few metres.
normally, you have to call them. but sure they are correct and honest.
In any case, there are shuttle buses and many type of transport cheaper than
the normal pirate taxes. They charge 650 cronws.. for yr info.
the town is about 12 kms away

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

It is fairly easy to get from the airport via public transport but
sometimes it is worth paying for a taxi or car to save you lugging
bags around with you.

That's certainly why a taxi gets my vote, every time! I've learned to
travel much lighter than I did on my first trip to Europe, but at the
end of a long overseas flight I really don't want to struggle with my
luggage and public transportation in a country where I have no fluency
in the language! Especially Czech, which may be slightly easier than
Hungarian, but where the "phonetics" in most phrase-books insure (as in
Hungarian ones) that one will NOT be understood by the natives.
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ken Blake wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:05:06 +0000, Andy Davidson
wrote:

On 10/03/2010 01:31, Ken Blake wrote:
My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

I don't recall being cheated on a recent business trip to Prague, in
fact I found it a friendly city, but I tended to use the Metro to get
everywhere.

The bus #119 links the Airport to the underground network via Dejvická
station.

Otherwise, you can pay in advance for a taxi, at an official stand in
the Arrivals hall, I think the cost was ~500 CZK - about 20 Euros (I
think you can even pay in Euros, but my mind is starting to go hazy).

Thanks very much. That paying in advance choice sounds like a great
one!

At least, if you ARE cheated, it will be by officialdom, not free
enterprise. ;-)

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Clarke

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:41:37 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

... in a country where I have no fluency
in the language! Especially Czech, which may be slightly easier than
Hungarian, but where the "phonetics" in most phrase-books insure (as in
Hungarian ones) that one will NOT be understood by the natives.

On the other hand, I have yet to meet a Czech in Praha that couldn't speak
enough English to meet American/British travellers more than half-way. They may
exist out in the hinterlands, but there aren't any in Prague.

And an Englisch-sprecher who can manage "dobry den" will get a smile every time.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_7_]

On 10/03/2010 9:21 PM, Runge11 wrote:
Yawn.

FOAD.

--
JohnT
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Jack wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:56:04 +0000:

[Czech Republic]
I was always fascinated at how the measures of beer varied.
I never got a glass filled up to the mark and I'm sure the
"locals" got bigger quantities. Had I been able to speak
some of the language I would have questioned it. As it
seemed to happen everywhere, I never felt I was being
deliberately ripped off and took it as just part of
the experience of being in another culture.

The beer was good!

I think this is just a way of dealing with froth. Czech pub
taps seem designed to produce far more of it than you get
anywhere else, so their beer mugs have more built-in ullage.

I seem to remember that there was a mark on the glass that indicated a
true pint in England. In Scotland, the rather messier top of the glass
was the mark.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Martin wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:25:30 +0100:

Jack wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:56:04 +0000:

[Czech Republic]
I was always fascinated at how the measures of beer varied.
I never got a glass filled up to the mark and I'm sure the
"locals" got bigger quantities. Had I been able to speak
some of the language I would have questioned it. As it
seemed to happen everywhere, I never felt I was being
deliberately ripped off and took it as just part of
the experience of being in another culture.

The beer was good!

I think this is just a way of dealing with froth. Czech pub
taps seem designed to produce far more of it than you get
anywhere else, so their beer mugs have more built-in ullage.

I seem to remember that there was a mark on the glass that
indicated a true pint in England. In Scotland, the rather
messier top of the glass was the mark.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass

Wow! Complicated!