Credit Card Info for Bookings - BEWARE

Old February 15th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Christina

Default Credit Card Info for Bookings - BEWARE

I seem to learn something new with every cruise in regards to credit
cards. The last one I told you about, but didn't know myself, was
learning about telling your card companies that you would be traveling
so they wouldn't deny your charges because you weren't where you were
supposed to be. I learned a new one yesterday.

Charged my trip in Dec on the Brilliance on my Check card thru my
bank. That part was good. I sent in coupons to RCI and was supposed
to get a $168 credit back on my card for ticket purchase. Well, $23
of it showed up before I ever left. And also before I left, I closed
that checking account. Luckily, which I'll explain later, I had other
accounts at the same bank. By Feb1, I had still not received the
remaining $145, so I began to pursue through CruiseQuik where I bought
the tickets. They contacted RCI who said OK, we'll send it. I
emphasized to Cruise quik that the card I charged on was no longer
valid. Yesterday, still no money, so I called RCI. Here was their
response:

Yes the money was credited back to card #.... I said it can't
because it is no longer open. Here's the punch line. "We cannot and
will not give a refund back to another card number other than the one
it was charged on for your security and protection!"

To end this, I did get the money but only because the bank put it
toward another one of my accounts, which may or may not be all banks'
policies. MORAL OF STORY: If you purchase with credit card or check
card, don't close the account or change card numbers or you might be
SOL.

Hope that was educational for somebody,

Chris
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM
KathyDFrog

"We cannot and
will not give a refund back to another card number other than the one
it was charged on for your security and protection!"

Very interesting. I had a credit card hassle from last summer's Mediterranean
cruise on Celebrity. I argued about an overcharge that Celebrity swore they
has credited to my credit card, although it never appeared on my statements.
I finally discovered that the refund had been posted to another of my credit
cards. I didn't notice the credit because I was looking on the card I used for
that particular cruise.

It turned out that Celebrity was honest but incompetant-they used the card they
had on file from a previous cruise rather than my on board card.
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:14 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Credit Card Info for Bookings - BEWARE

Hi Chris:

It's pretty much Standard Operating Procedure with the credit card companies.
Had a similar instance with play tickets.

Babette
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM
E.k.R.

I just had a very similar scenario with a refund from Cunard. I booked the
QM2 a couple years ago and put down a deposit on a credit card. Since that
time I closed the account and had no other accounts with that bank. Cunard
insisted that the deposit refund would still go through even to the canceled
credit card and that the credit card company would issue me a check. I
called the credit card company and they said no way, Cunard could not credit
the account even if they wanted to as the account no longer exists. After a
LOT of hassle dealing with Cunard, I finally got manager approval to have
the credit issued to another card. It took months and months though.
Bottom line.... it was MY money and I was getting it back! Cunard certainly
earned enough interest off it in the two years they had it.

Ernie

Old February 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Christina

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:35:16 -0500, "E.k.R."
wrote:

Bottom line.... it was MY money and I was getting it back! Cunard certainly
earned enough interest off it in the two years they had it.

Ernie

How very true Ernie! I was determined not to lose my cool because
somehow, I was going to get MY MONEY back. That is the problem with
our financial institutions (and I have worked at a bank), They have
forgotten that even though they are holding/captured our money, it is
still ours, not theirs.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think we may have put something
good out there.

Chris

Old February 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Linsifer

Perhaps it was stolen or lost. Or there is suspicion that someone "lifted" the
numbers off the card. We've had this happen and most of the time had been able
to contact any companies with pending transactions. Of course, sometimes we
forget about the ones who take money out of our account on a regular basis; ie;
monthly payments, etc. For us, it's all worked out in the end, though.

Lindsay

zegarskis wrote:

Hi All,

Maybe it is just me, but I wonder why anyone would close an account (Credit
Card, Checking, whatever) if there are still pending transactions. It seems
as
thought that may just be asking for unwanted grief.

Ray

Wishing light winds and smooth seas to all

Old February 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM
MsPatty4

Maybe it is just me, but I wonder why anyone would close an account (Credit
Card, Checking, whatever) if there are still pending transactions. It seems
as
thought that may just be asking for unwanted grief.

Sometimes it's the banks that do the closing. We always had a Mastercard
through our bank. Last year at renewal time they up and closed everyones and
changed them to Visa.

~ Patty
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Charles

In article , Zegarskis
wrote:

Maybe it is just me, but I wonder why anyone would close an account
(Credit Card, Checking, whatever) if there are still pending
transactions. It seems as thought that may just be asking for
unwanted grief.

One of my credit card issuers switched all their cards from Visa to
Master Card. They did not ask me. New account numbers, and there were
pending transactions.

--
Charles