Singapore highlights & moderate hotels

Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
coco

Default Singapore highlights & moderate hotels

Hello everyone, We will be taking a stop over in Sinapore for 3
nights (2 full days)
We are wondering what anyone can tell us about the highlights. We
would like to be spending about $75. -$100 Canadian per night, a
little more or less is okay too. (I think very close to the
Singaporean currency) Anyone's opions on what to do and see will be
greatly appreciated. Thank you. Coco
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Viviane

Trip on the river, night zoo, walk around some of the "cultural" streets,
such as Serangoon Road, check out the colonial buildings, Changi prison.
Sentosa is worth a look but you need a full day. With only 3 days there I'd
visit other things before Sentosa. Eat at some of the food courts - they're
clean, cheap and the food is great. Don't eat at the tourist places like
Clark Quay - rip off with bland food.

om...

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
hvpl

Check in at Hotel 1929 right in Chinatown's Keong Saik Road for a most
unique experience of "Old Singapore". Prowl the roads in the area to
understand Singapore better. All pretty safe, yet exciting.

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
Trip on the river, night zoo, walk around some of the "cultural" streets,
such as Serangoon Road, check out the colonial buildings, Changi prison.
Sentosa is worth a look but you need a full day. With only 3 days there

I'd
visit other things before Sentosa. Eat at some of the food courts -

they're
clean, cheap and the food is great. Don't eat at the tourist places like
Clark Quay - rip off with bland food.

om...

Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
Mr. Free Notes

Zoo -- http://www.zoo.com.sg/
Juron Bird Park -- http://www.birdpark.com.sg/
Botanical Gardens (and the Orchid Garden Inside) --
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/parks/sbg/par-sbg.shtml
Orchard Road Shopping (Centrepoint and Takashimaya) --
http://www.takashimaya-sin.com/

Mr. Free Notes
http://www.thelinksociety.com/

om...

Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
DaveOnHols

Hi!

I was in Singapore around a year ago and really enjoyed it. Maybe
because it was the first place I travelled to in years but still, I
thought it had a great atmosphere!

I would echo the comments above about eating at the food courts,
really good value and great tasting food.

Yeah the night zoo is another option, but I would recomend the Jurong
Bird Park over that. Some really funky birds to see there including a
fat blue one that makes weird noises and tries to headbutt your feet!

As for accomodation, I really liked the new Seventh Story Hotel, I
think it was on or near Beach Road, it is mentioned in the LP and/or
RG I am pretty sure. Don't forget to haggle! The people who work
there are very friendly and helpful!

The Trip to Sentosa is nice too, you can go over to the island on a
cable car which is cool and you get a nice view of the area!

My Website has pictures of my time in Singapore (a few) and of the
other places in SE Asia that I visited on the trip if you want to
check it out:

http://www.daveonhols.co.uk/singapore.htm

Hope you have fun!
DaveOnHols (I wish)
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM
ht

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:27:26 +1000, "Viviane"
wrote:

Trip on the river, night zoo, walk around some of the "cultural" streets,
such as Serangoon Road, check out the colonial buildings, Changi prison.
Sentosa is worth a look but you need a full day. With only 3 days there I'd
visit other things before Sentosa. Eat at some of the food courts - they're
clean, cheap and the food is great. Don't eat at the tourist places like
Clark Quay - rip off with bland food.

My sis in law took a sampling of the "hawker food" and promptly fell
violently ill with food poisoning. If you ever have the chance to
witness the singaporians handling food (VERY VERY filthy) you too will
fall ill.

Old August 24th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Alan Street

€ wrote:

€ Trip on the river, night zoo, walk around some of the "cultural" streets,
€ such as Serangoon Road, check out the colonial buildings, Changi prison.
€ Sentosa is worth a look but you need a full day. With only 3 days there I'd
€ visit other things before Sentosa. Eat at some of the food courts - they're
€ clean, cheap and the food is great. Don't eat at the tourist places like
€ Clark Quay - rip off with bland food.

€ My sis in law took a sampling of the "hawker food" and promptly fell
€ violently ill with food poisoning. If you ever have the chance to
€ witness the singaporians handling food (VERY VERY filthy) you too will
€ fall ill.

I strongly disagree. I've been eating hawker food in Singapore for
years and I've never had a problem. You're welcome to eat the KFC and
McDonalds there if you want, but don't mislead people about something
you appear to know little about.
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alan Street wrote:
In article , ht wrote:
My sis in law took a sampling of the "hawker food" and promptly fell
violently ill with food poisoning. If you ever have the chance to
witness the singaporians handling food (VERY VERY filthy) you too will
fall ill.

I strongly disagree. I've been eating hawker food in Singapore for
years and I've never had a problem. You're welcome to eat the KFC and
McDonalds there if you want, but don't mislead people about something
you appear to know little about.

The person you are responding lives in Singapore and has been posting
nonsense disinformation about the place for years. He can safely be ignored.

miguel

Old August 24th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä
Alan Street wrote:
In article , ht

wrote:
My sis in law took a sampling of the "hawker food" and promptly fell
violently ill with food poisoning. If you ever have the chance to
witness the singaporians handling food (VERY VERY filthy) you too will
fall ill.

I strongly disagree. I've been eating hawker food in Singapore for
years and I've never had a problem. You're welcome to eat the KFC and
McDonalds there if you want, but don't mislead people about something
you appear to know little about.

The person you are responding lives in Singapore and has been posting
nonsense disinformation about the place for years. He can safely be

ignored.

You never know about those pesky Singaporians. They just might whip you up
on Bukit Street. This very chap is the village idiot.