Insurance

Old October 26th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Jack Kotulik

Default Insurance

I know this has been asked before... BUT

Given the current state of international affairs.. I would like some
feedback on Travel insurance going to the Mediterranean??

Cruise Itinerary:

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
2 Naples, Italy
3 At Sea
4 Dubrovnik, Croatia
5 Venice, Italy
6 Venice, Italy
7 At Sea
8 Messina, Sicily
9 At Sea
10 Barcelona, Spain
11 Cannes, France
12 Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
13 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Thanks in advance for you feedback

Old October 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM
HDawson228

Go to:
Travelguard.com or
Insuremytrip.com
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM
HDawson228

Go to:
Travelguard.com or
Insuremytrip.com
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Mike Cordelli

What are you insuring against? If it's terrorism, make sure you read the
policy, as they have a very tight set of conditions as to what will be
covered. Things like:

A Terrorist Act which occurs in your departure city or in a city which is a
scheduled destination for your Covered Trip provided the Terrorist Act
occurs within 30 days of the Scheduled Departure Date for your Covered Trip

or

If within 30 days of the departure of an Insured, a politically motivated
Terrorist Attack occurs within a 1 mile radius of the territorial city
limits of the city to be visited by the program for which You have
registered.

So for example, if something happened in Florence, you may not be covered
since the cruise doesn't actually visit Florence, it visits Livorno.

I'm not saying insurance is a bad idea, just make sure it's in writing that
you are getting the coverage's you want to get. Not really sure how they
would define politically motivated either.

Old October 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
JLP20

. I would like some
feedback on Travel insurance going to the Mediterranean??

Sure you don't mean Life Insurance?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Old October 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Windsong

Thank you for the links. Very helpful for me too.
We just booked on the rssc Navigator in January, Caribbean. We are so
excited. I know, compared to the other thread, it sounds like a commercial -
it is not.

Song of Flower 2x
Mariner
Voyager

Happy Cruising
Annemarie
"HDawson228" wrote in message
Go to:
Travelguard.com or
Insuremytrip.com

Old October 26th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Cruzinsure

Given the current state of international affairs.. I would like some
feedback on Travel insurance going to the Mediterranean??

Assuming you're talking about coverage if you have to cancel or cut short your
trip because of a terrorist incident, most of the policies are currently worded
so that it would be hard to collect except under some very tightly defined
circumstances. For example, this is from Access America:

"A terrorist act committed by an organized terrorist group (recognized as such
by the U.S. State Department) that results in property damage, Injury or loss
of life. The incident must take place in a foreign city in which You are
scheduled to arrive within 30 days following the incident and Your tour
operator (if applicable) must not have offered a substitute itinerary. Coverage
for travel to or through countries in which such a documented or reported
incident has occurred in the 6 months prior to purchase of the insurance is
excluded. Losses resulting due to the issuance of travel advisories, bulletin
or alerts; war or acts thereof; civil disorder, riot or unrest; bomb scares or
threats of terrorist activity; or terrorist acts against any Common Carrier
(e.g., airline or cruise line) are not covered"

Note that if the cruise line substitutes a port city or drops a port where the
terrorism occured you're not covered. And also note that if the terrorism
involves an airline (as happened on 9/11) or the ship itself you're not
covered. Some other plans also exclude coverage for any country/city where a
State Dept. warniing was in effect at the time the policy was purchased so
watch out fot that too. For example, I doubt you'll be able to find a plan that
includes terrorism coverage for trips to Israel. Spain is off the list for some
plans after the Madrid railway bombing, etc.

The most common question we get concerns getting stuck away from home or not
being able to get to your departure city if the airlines are shut down for
several days like last time. If you look in the "General Exclusions" of many
plans you'll find something like "Governmental restrictions or prohibition."
Would that apply to the FAA shutting down air traffic for several days? I don't
know.

And be sure that you know the plan's definition of a "terrorism incident."
Don't confuse it with "civil disorder". They're not the same.

My feeling in general on terrorism coverage is that if that's the sole purpose
for purchasing a policy for your cruise then think long and hard before
spending he money.

Old October 26th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Martin

"Windsong" wrote in message
Thank you for the links. Very helpful for me too.
We just booked on the rssc Navigator in January, Caribbean. We are so
excited. I know, compared to the other thread, it sounds like a

commercial -
it is not.

We'll be on that ship in February, probably the same itinerary. Perhaps you
will have some notes and comments to post here.

Have a great trip.