Sleep in airport or stay at hostel?

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Bjarne T.

Default Sleep in airport or stay at hostel?

Hi,
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

Thanks,

BT

Old January 12th, 2005, 04:09 AM

On 11 Jan 2005 12:27:01 -0800, "Bjarne T." wrote:

Hi,
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

Thanks,

BT

50/50 depending on if your flight from Tahiti is delayed.

Check out Auckland Airport info at:

http://auckland-airport.co.nz/

Please remember, if you wish to leave the international terminal
arrivals/departures/transit area, you will be required to pass through
NZ Customs & Immigration Control.

To get back to Int'l Departures you will need to pay the $25 departure
fee. Check with your airline if you need to recheck back in at
AKL if you exit the terminal.

Check out the duty-free stores at AKL on the website.

All info is on the above website including bag storage.

If you are a through passenger, you shouldn't need to recheck your
bags as they should be tagged to your final destination - you
shouldn't even see them at AKL.

Cath
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Miguel Cruz

Bjarne T. wrote:
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

You could do a little of both - spend the day in town and then go back to
the airport to sleep. With a flight that early, that's what I'd do. It's not
worth the trouble of finding accommodation if you have to get up at 4 -
you're not going to get a great night's sleep anyway. But I also wouldn't
spend 18 hours sitting around in an airport.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:26 AM
roy

yep auckland airport isnt too bad to spend a few hours if you have a
good book. but i dunno about 18hours... i've not seen any public
showers there.

but if you leave it, you will have taxi/shuttle fares, departure tax
and of course the hostel bill. which could easily come to $nz100 in
total. you arent going to get too much sleep if you have to be back at
the airport to depart at 0630

if you have never been to auckland before, check out the city & the
harbour. if you have seen it before, take the books.

(just be grateful its auckland and not hamilton!!)

Old January 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Jan

Bjarne T. wrote:
Hi,
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

Thanks,

BT

There are 11 readers reports about Auckland airport he
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/auckland.htm

Jan

Old January 13th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Bjarne T. wrote:
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

You could do a little of both - spend the day in town and then go back to
the airport to sleep. With a flight that early, that's what I'd do. It's not
worth the trouble of finding accommodation if you have to get up at 4 -
you're not going to get a great night's sleep anyway. But I also wouldn't
spend 18 hours sitting around in an airport.

Particularly not Auckland airport. One of the world's less exciting
airports.

Personally, I'd head for town, see a few sights and stay there O/N. The
early rise sucks, but it beats sleaping in the airport (IMO)
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Miguel Cruz at
wrote on 1/12/05 2:36 AM:

Bjarne T. wrote:
I am travelling from from Tahiti to Sydney with a short stop-over
(about 18 hours) in Auckland. The Sydney flight departs at 6:30 AM.

I know there is a nearby hostel (Skyway Lodge), but given the early
departure, should book a bed or just spend the night in the airport?

Is it possible to check in luggage just after arrival, and travel into
the city for some hours? Or is there any lockers available at the
airport?

You could do a little of both - spend the day in town and then go back to
the airport to sleep. With a flight that early, that's what I'd do. It's not
worth the trouble of finding accommodation if you have to get up at 4 -
you're not going to get a great night's sleep anyway. But I also wouldn't
spend 18 hours sitting around in an airport.

miguel

Depends on the airport. For AKL, I agree with you Miguel (from what I
remember of it). For others, 18 hours is still a stretch but certainly not
the end of the world - Singapore's Changai springs to mind as a place where
it is certainly feasible (lots of stuff to do, free and almost so).

Other factors include how easily accessible the airport is from the city it
services (AKL isn't too far / long from downtown and the shuttles are quite
good) and whether you have lounge privileges for the airline you are using
(Frankfurt, for example, is far enough from the city / not an exciting place
in the first instance, and the Lufthansa lounge, while rather clinical, at
least is a place to hang your toque and catch up on the news).

For AKL specifically, though, I agree entirely - go into town and then go
back well in time for your flight.