Airline Help

Old February 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Tony Bailey

"diane345" wrote in message

Thanks for your replies. Here is my delema(sp?) I am using FF miles to
fly from USA to Singapore Dec 05 and taking a cruise which ends in Fiji
Feb 06. The airline classifies Singapore as one zone and Fiji as
another and you must return from the same zone. So I and my husband
need to return to Singapore from Fiji in order to qualify for the FF
rules. I will need a hotel both in Singapore and perhaps mainland New
Zealand if I cannot make connecting flights? HELP!!

Diane-

Do a price comparison with two options -

1) Get an online agent in Australia to book you on Air Pacific to SYD and
the best price on another airline to Singapore.

2) Ditto for one in New Zealand to Book you on NZ,.

Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old February 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
diane345

Hi Tony: How do I go about finding an agent from Australia and NZ.
From my own research I found the best way to Singapore and cheapest was
to fly from Nadi to Brisbane and then on to Singapore all on Qantas. If
I do this in 2 separate legs it is cheaper than to book as one. But
there may be some airlines that fly these routes that we have never
heard of here. So I really would like to find a TA from the South
Pacific region....but how???

--
diane345
diane345's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=804

Old February 17th, 2005, 08:35 PM
David Bennetts

"diane345" wrote in message

Hi Tony: How do I go about finding an agent from Australia and NZ.
From my own research I found the best way to Singapore and cheapest was
to fly from Nadi to Brisbane and then on to Singapore all on Qantas. If
I do this in 2 separate legs it is cheaper than to book as one. But
there may be some airlines that fly these routes that we have never
heard of here. So I really would like to find a TA from the South
Pacific region....but how???

--
diane345
diane345's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=804
View this thread: http://travelforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65707
This post was submitted via http://www.TravelForums.org

The travel agent I've used for the past few years is www.travel.com.au
They're fully licensed and have given me excellent service. And their
prices beat the one that advertised until recently "Lowest airfares
garanteed".

Regards

David Bennetts

Australia

Old February 18th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Tony Bailey

"diane345" wrote in message

Hi Tony: How do I go about finding an agent from Australia and NZ.
From my own research I found the best way to Singapore and cheapest was
to fly from Nadi to Brisbane and then on to Singapore all on Qantas. If
I do this in 2 separate legs it is cheaper than to book as one. But
there may be some airlines that fly these routes that we have never
heard of here. So I really would like to find a TA from the South
Pacific region....but how???

See Dave's comment below mine -

Only Air Pacific(FJ)/Qantas(QF) (who codeshare with FJ) and Virgin Pacific
Blue fly Fiji - Australia you might try Googling for the Virgin Pacific
Blue web-site and look for some cheap fares.

It is definitely cheaper to book two separate legs - but if you do SYD-SIN
you can get fares a lot cheaper than QF charge by going to an on-line agent.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old February 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Scott Howard

diane345 wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Here is my delema(sp?) I am using FF miles to
fly from USA to Singapore Dec 05 and taking a cruise which ends in Fiji
Feb 06. The airline classifies Singapore as one zone and Fiji as
another and you must return from the same zone. So I and my husband
need to return to Singapore from Fiji in order to qualify for the FF
rules. I will need a hotel both in Singapore and perhaps mainland New
Zealand if I cannot make connecting flights? HELP!!

Doing it is easy. Doing it cheaply is not.
Several airlines do Nadi to Sydney/Brisbane/Auckland, and connecting
flights to Singapore (same day) are easy on the same airlines or
different.

The problem is that one-way fares like that are generally going to be
expensive. As a rule airlines presume that one-way fares are not normal
tourist fares and thus dont discount on them.

What I'd suggest is to contact your cruise company (or the travel agents
you booked the cruise through) - they normally have special deals with
airlines, especially when you just want to get back to where the cruise
started. Think about it - everyone who gets on the cruise in SIN and
gets off in NAN is going to be in exactly the same situation you are!

Scott
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:10 AM
Dave Campbell

"diane345" wrote in message

Can someone recommend a cheap way of flying from Sydney to Singapore

Thanks

--
diane345
diane345's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=804
View this thread: http://travelforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65707
This post was submitted via http://www.TravelForums.org

When I wanted to go SYD-SIN one-way I used Zuji.com and found that Gulf Air
was about the only airline in their stable to offer a sensible fare for the
trip. As it turned out the plane was broken that day, so they (Gulf)
rebooked me on Singapore Airlines the following day. Hence I can't comment
on the quality of the service, although I have heard that there might be
reasons why it's less expensive....

Dave Campbell

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:42:49 -0600, diane345
wrote:

Hi Tony: How do I go about finding an agent from Australia and NZ.
From my own research I found the best way to Singapore and cheapest was
to fly from Nadi to Brisbane and then on to Singapore all on Qantas. If
I do this in 2 separate legs it is cheaper than to book as one. But
there may be some airlines that fly these routes that we have never
heard of here. So I really would like to find a TA from the South
Pacific region....but how???

Bit late jumping in here but:

Any 'trained' travel agent or airline should be able to help you.
Every travel agent has access to a computer reservation system and
should be able to offer you several fares.

Alternatively, phone Qantas [or Air Pacific, Singapore Air or Air New
Zealand] reservations. Normally the further you fly with one
airline, the cheaper!
Sorry but the bad news is, one way fares are always expensive!
Not knowing your actual dates, but I was able to pull US$1300 as being
the cheapest fare.

You may also want to look at what airlines you can gain more frequent
flier miles on!

You may perhaps like to overnight or spend a couple of days in
Singapore.

Looking at some of the available flights, I see flights operated by
Qantas and flights using Qantas flight numbers but operated by either
British Airways or Air Pacific - as long as the flights have a QF
flight # you are ok...

It's not unusual to have four different airline flight numbers for one
only flight i.e. QF777 is being run by Qantas but could also be
running as say AP888, AA333, etc.

If you book a flight that is a combination of a partnership, ensure
your ticket is issued under one airline i.e.
NAN-BNE QF999 [being operated by Qantas]
BNE-SIN QF555 [being operated by Air Pacific .

Do NOT have the BNE-SIN sector ticketed as AP***.
There is a reason for this - to protect your rights!

Airlines often have hotels available [I have used this booking feature
many a times and have never been disappointed].

If you are not savvy about using several tickets to gain a low fare
[which are normally loaded with restrictions/heavy penalties], do not
do so as in the event of a missed flight etc, you could finish up the
looser by having to pay additional fees, not be entitled to
compensation etc.

Cruise ships normally do have special fares associated with cruises
however in your case, they most likely won't apply.
I hope you have at least one night from your point of arrival until
your cruise departs to allow for 'the unforeseen' such as baggage
going missing.

I've seen cases where people arrive/depart the same day and their
luggage has not arrived until they are in international waters!
Onforwarding bags to the first port of call can sometimes be a hassle
particularly if the country's Customs & the ship's agents are not very
co-operative.

Ensure your bags are very very clearly marked at the end of the voyage
as to where they are to go as this is another area where bags can
become a MAJOR problem!

Cath