what about cash?

Old April 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default what about cash?

maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

Old April 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On 11 Apr 2006 02:45:40 -0700, "artur"
wrote:

maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

No idea about Citibank - but every time I turn around I see
another ATM in a wall or in a supermarket or just next to
the public phones. All seem to be Plus or Cirrus compatible.

They should stop planting the damn things and withhold the
fertiliser. They seem to multiply like rabbits. About the
only time I couldn't use a CC in the past ten years was at
Dirinbandi on the way to Lightning Ridge. But they've
probably got an eftpos there by now.

How much cash? Gawd knows - depends whether you're budget
back-packing on $30 a day in a tent, or 4* relaxing on $300+
per day plus rental SUV.

In practical terms, when I'm travelling in any country not
my own I carry the equivalent of $200 cash in the local
currency and do as much as I can on plastic.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Credit cards are acceptable, even in tiny towns who've only heard of ATMs.
However - to be honest - I've not yet seen Parking Meters which will accept
credit cards in any municipality - (I have used such in Vancouver).

Yep!! We're pretty well entrenched in the 21st C consumer economy!

ups.com...

Old April 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

I would travel with no more than $200/300 (Aus i.e.) because we use our card
for almost everything, especially fuel.

Having said that, if you are a visitor to this country bear in mind that
there may be "conversion fees" for each transaction that you make. Apart
from the exchange rate I mean.

Here in Oz, if I make a transaction overseas then there is usually a "loss"
in the conversion rate PLUS a bank fee of between $1.50 and $3.00 just for
using my card.

I suggest you check with your credit provider before hand. Then plan your
spending the way it suits you best. Oddly enough, cash is still acceptable
at most places in Oz.

Ross

ups.com...

Old April 12th, 2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Hello Artur

Yes, credit cards are huge in Australia. It is rare to find a business these
days without an EFTPOS terminal. As the other poster said, you will even
find them in small towns that only dream of having an ATM machine. For some
small villages, a local business with an EFTPOS machine becomes a surrogate
bank.

In Australia, most people will understand what a gas station is but we call
them petrol stations or service stations. However, if you pull into one and
ask for gas, you may end up with something altogether different than you
expected. Gas sold at service stations is Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). You
will probably need the pump which says unleaded.

Citibank has a very limited representation in Australia. If your card from
your home bank uses the Maestro, Plus, Cirrus, Mastercard or Visa system,
you will have easy access to cash from ATM's within Australia. You will
probably have to pay for withdrawals from ATM machines. Your bank may have
arrangements with a bank in Australia not to charge any fees. Check with
your bank before you leave home. Also, check with your bank what your daily
withdrawal limit is so you can plan your withdrawals in need.

Asking how much you need for a 3 week journey is like asking how long is a
piece of string. Here is a site so you can get an idea of some hotel prices:
http://www.wotif.com.au
Here is a site so you have an idea of the cost of renting a car for your
journey:
https://www.hertz.com.au
How much you spend each day for food and entertainment is up to you.
However, I think a reasonable guide would be aud $100, per person, per day.

Enjoy your time in Australia.

Regards; Jim Sibbick

ups.com...

Old April 12th, 2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

If you intend to use ATMs be aware that the Bank of America has a reciprocal
fee free arrangement with Westpac in Austr and NZ. Could save you a few
bucks!!

Westpac is a major bank in Oz, with many ATMs.

ups.com...

Old April 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"artur" wrote in message
ups.com...
maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

One of the very few places in Australia which does not accept credit cards
(or even EFTPOS) is the pancake restaurant at the top of Elephant Pass in
Tasmania. Seeing as you are not going there you won't have any need to take
out a lot of cash.

Gerrit

Old April 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

gr8 thanks to all of you

guess I'll be fine with my cards then.

artur

Old April 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"A Mate" wrote in message
Credit cards are acceptable, even in tiny towns who've only heard of ATMs.
However - to be honest - I've not yet seen Parking Meters which will
accept credit cards in any municipality - (I have used such in Vancouver).

Yep!! We're pretty well entrenched in the 21st C consumer economy!

"artur" wrote in message
ups.com...
maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

I used a CC parking meter in Bathurst street in Sydney last Wednesday
evening. I've also used them in Glebe.

They're a great idea, I never seem to have the correct change and have to
end up buying a chocolate or some other junk item just to get some change.

It's unfortunate that CityRail and Sydney Busses have not (yet) installed
credit card (EFTPOS) ticket vending machines. Hopefully one day it might
happen.

Kerry

Here's some thoughts on the subject of accessing your money while on the
road
http://www.capebyron.com/travel-money/

Old April 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

I have used credit card all over Australia. Only used cash in the pubs.

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australian, New Zealand, USA, UK, South African, Thailand Sim Cards.