restaurants in Florence

Old December 29th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Liliana

Default restaurants in Florence

I'm arriving in Florence on a Sunday, and I don't know if a lot of the
restaurants close that day as they do in other countries. Can anyone
tell me the names and addresses of good but fairly inexpensive places
that are open then? I'm less worried about overcrowing from tourists
since this is going to be in February. Thanks!

Old December 29th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Judith Umbria

"Liliana" wrote in message

I'm arriving in Florence on a Sunday, and I don't know if a lot of the
restaurants close that day as they do in other countries. Can anyone
tell me the names and addresses of good but fairly inexpensive places
that are open then? I'm less worried about overcrowing from tourists
since this is going to be in February. Thanks!

Sunday is a problem. Cheap is a problem. While not particularly cheap, I
like Tre Merli, not far off the river for Sunday.
Florence is one of those places where cheap and good have a tenuous
relationship. For good meat at really good prices on a day other than
Sunday, try Mario near the Mercato Centrale, or you might eat at a cafe in
the Mercato Centrale, which I hear is abundant and cheap.
You might want to check out restaurant reviews on www.slowtrav.com for the
city, but you will learn very little about Sunday openings.
La Fiaschetteria Antica is open on Sunday in the Oltrano area, but my lunch
was uninspired, although not expensive.

Old December 29th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Luca Logi

Liliana wrote:

I'm arriving in Florence on a Sunday, and I don't know if a lot of the
restaurants close that day as they do in other countries. Can anyone
tell me the names and addresses of good but fairly inexpensive places
that are open then? I'm less worried about overcrowing from tourists
since this is going to be in February. Thanks!

As Judith has pointed, it is fairly difficult to find a cheap
restaurant, let alone good and cheap. On a Sunday, Baldini at Porta a
Prato should be open (they close on Saturday).

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old December 30th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Marcus Fox

"Liliana" wrote in message

I'm arriving in Florence on a Sunday, and I don't know if a lot of the
restaurants close that day as they do in other countries. Can anyone
tell me the names and addresses of good but fairly inexpensive places
that are open then? I'm less worried about overcrowing from tourists
since this is going to be in February. Thanks!

Wouldn't be Sunday 14th, by any chance? That's Valentine's day, and you can
expect the restaurants to be quite busy.

Marcus

Old December 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

"Liliana" wrote in message

I'm arriving in Florence on a Sunday, and I don't know if a lot of the
restaurants close that day as they do in other countries. Can anyone
tell me the names and addresses of good but fairly inexpensive places
that are open then? I'm less worried about overcrowing from tourists
since this is going to be in February. Thanks!

Wouldn't be Sunday 14th, by any chance? That's Valentine's day, and you

can
expect the restaurants to be quite busy.

My mistake. It's actually Saturday the 14th.

Marcus

Old January 1st, 2004, 12:14 AM
Liliana

It's the 1st, actually, no Valentine's Day dinner for me. I guess it is
too much to hope that there would be any good and cheap places in
Florence. . . Anyway, thank you for the suggestions!

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
Tony Day

"Liliana" wrote in message

It's the 1st, actually, no Valentine's Day dinner for me. I guess it is
too much to hope that there would be any good and cheap places in
Florence. . . Anyway, thank you for the suggestions!

Missed the start of the thread, but there are good cheap restaurants in
Florence and everywhere else, if you get off the tourist rail and hunt them
down. Where the heck do you think the Italians eat?

Tony

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:43 AM
Luca Logi

Liliana wrote:

It's the 1st, actually, no Valentine's Day dinner for me. I guess it is
too much to hope that there would be any good and cheap places in
Florence. . . Anyway, thank you for the suggestions!

However, the problem is finding a cheap place, not that you are arriving
on Sunday. On Sunday most restaurants are open anyway.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old January 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
Luca Logi

Tony Day wrote:

Missed the start of the thread, but there are good cheap restaurants in
Florence and everywhere else, if you get off the tourist rail and hunt them
down. Where the heck do you think the Italians eat?

Italians eat at home :-)

Frankly speaking, there are some good restaurants in Florence. And
lately they are getting better. For example, I had a very excellent
dinner at "Il Guscio", via dell'Orto, about ten days ago. The place is
open only at dinner, you'd better reserve as it gets quite crowded, and
we spent there about EUR 35,00 each for a quality dinner with an
excellent Dolcetto d'Alba red wine. This is where Italians eat, but I
wouldn't qualify it as being really convenient and/or cheap.

BTW, Italians really eat at home. I read a Guardian peace some time ago
that pointed that family lunch and dinners are much more common here
than in Britain. I also point that "communal" dinners (each person
brings a dish) are fairly common, and IMHO a restaurant is only a third
choice for having a dinner.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM