'for rent' ad jargon?

Old September 27th, 2003, 02:43 PM
4000 psi

Default 'for rent' ad jargon?

what does SLUG or S.L.U.G. stand for in the 'for rent' ads?

thanks!

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Anette

Single Luck Up Garage

Anette

Old September 27th, 2003, 07:56 PM
4000 psi

thank you for that info ...

a few more related questions if i may ...

what are the differences between: a flat, apartment, and unit?

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Anette

Haven't got a clue... they all look the same to me :-)

Anette

"4000 psi"

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Roger Martin

"4000 psi" wrote in message
thank you for that info ...

a few more related questions if i may ...

what are the differences between: a flat, apartment, and unit?

My interpretation - which may not be standard real estate agent English
.......(Truth ....def: not known in real estate terminology)

Flat is either a small self contained building in the back yard of a house
eg "granny flat" or a dwelling in a low rise building, eg a flat in a three
storey converted house. Often big old houses converted to have multiple
dwellings.

Apartment is an up market (in the seller's view) flat, but is likely to be
in a multi storey high rise building, but recently the estate agents have
been advertising apartments in converted factories, warehouses and old
office buildings so your guess is as good as mine!!

Unit is usually a dwelling in a low rise building, often with common walls
and gardens.

But the usage seems to be totally interchangeable with private sellers and
land lords using whatever they want to get the punters in.

Old September 27th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Geoff Lillico

"Anette" wrote in message
Haven't got a clue... they all look the same to me :-)

Anette

"4000 psi"
thank you for that info ...

a few more related questions if i may ...

what are the differences between: a flat, apartment, and unit?

In "for rent" ads, I would suggest little. Technically, a "unit" would stand
for a home unit which is an apartment with a separate title deed for the
owner. An apartment would otherwise be any self-contained living space in a
building containing many such apartments. A flat could well be only a room
or two in a private house.

Hope that helps.

Geoff Lillico

Old September 28th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Roger Martin

thanks for clarifying that up ... BTW, how negotiable is rent in AUS?

At the moment its probably very negotiable as there is an oversupply of
rental properties due to lots of people buying investments. I rented a 3
bedroom house for $275 a week in 1997, similar houses are now being rented
for around $200 a week. My local paper has a 4 bedroom house with a pool and
canal frontage for $315.