Getting started - How would you do it?

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Getting started - How would you do it?

Well you've probably all hear it a thousand times but what would you do
to get started in the travel industry? I'm 45 - no young chic - look
younger than that though. I know it's late to start a new career - but
no kids holding me back should be in my favor. You tell me. And
thanks in advance.

Old September 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_1_]

On 9/1/2006 12:37 AM sally plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:
wrote in news:1157081553.022315.23420
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Well you've probably all hear it a thousand times but what would you do
to get started in the travel industry?

What kind of job do you want? There are pleanty of service-level jobs
available in tourism (e.g., hotels and restaurants), but you're not going to
get rich unless you can move into management quickly. Airline jobs are
increasing, but there is an oversupply of experienced applicants from
previous layoffs. With the advent of the internet, travel agent and travel
writer jobs are disappearing. There are jobs around for local tour guides.
Don't expect to get rich, but these can be fun if you have the right
personality.

I don't think that Travel Agent as a career is dead yet. Agents who
work at larger agencies have more bargaining clout and can offer
packages competitive and sometimes better than internet travelbots.
Plus the client gets to deal with a real person, who can often provide
information not easily found on the internet.

If the O.P. is thinking about becoming a Travel Agent, why not go to the
source for information. A travel agent's time is as important as
anybody else. Make an appointment with several travel agents at both
large and small companies. Be clear that you want to discuss Travel
Agent as a career choice.

Some questions to ask: How did you get started? Did you go to school?
What are some of the things you do when not booking trips for clients?
Do you book corporate or leisure? Are professional affiliations
important? If your company has hired graduates from business schools,
which ones do you feel better prepare graduates for the job?

As for travel writers, as long as people prefer to relax in bed or the
bath tub with a travel book - there will be a place for travel writers.
However, the market is already crowded. Most who get published in
magazines or newspapers do it as an adjunct to their day job.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera