Suggestions on what to see and do in Russia

Old May 31st, 2004, 10:19 PM
?ystein

Default Suggestions on what to see and do in Russia

I am planning to go to Russia this summer. I will go to a summerschool
in St.Petersburg for 2 weeks to improve my Russian. After theese to
weeks I have visa for another 2 weeks where I can travel in Russia on
my own. I have some vague ideas on places to visit, but I have not
made my mind up yet. I am of course aware of that I have to pick 2 or
3 places of my ideas. If anyone have suggestions on the places I have
considered or suggestions of places I should cosider, please let me
know.

One idea is to go to Moscow. Obvious reasons. May be that can be
combined with seeing some Russian countryside. Suggestions and commets
welcome!

Another idea is to see some of Western(the Black sea coast) and/or
central Caucasus. One reason is that it would be a change from big
cities and a rest at the Black Sea coast. I also think it might give
me a chance to get some insight in Soviet style of life. When it comes
to central Caucasus the mineral water spas and the impresive nature is
what I would like to see. From what I have read I have the impression
that as long as you stay away from Chetchnya, Dagestan and Ingusethia
(of obvious reasons) it represents no serious safety risks to travel
in the Caucasus region. Anyone who has knowledge of Caucasus area?

I also think it could be interesting to see Volgograd and/or
Astrakhan, perhaps combined with Black sea coast. One reason is
because of the WWII history. another reason is that it could give
oportunity for a cruise on the Volga and experience the impressive
Volga delta. I have also heard that the huge steppe around Volgograd
is very impressive.

Another option is to see nothern Russia for instance Archangelsk. I
have read that northern Russia is may be the best place to get an
impression of traditional Russian culture. I would also like to see
Solovetsky, if I visit this area.

Another option I have considered is Yekaterinburg area. The reason is
that it could be a way to see east of Urals Russia, without traveling
longer than neccesary. It also gives an opportunity to experience the
Urals. I have read that this might be the most interesting option in
this area. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them. I am pretty
sure I will be through with cathedrals and art museums after St
Petersburg and may be Moscow. After theese destinations I will
probably like to get of the typical tourist track as well. My Russian
is probably good enough to book accomondation and transports, ask the
way and have a simple conversation with patient natives, but - as you
understand - not too good. Suggestions on things that is interesting
to see and do with a very limited knowledge of Russian language is
therefore very welcome.

Best regards,

Jan
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:28 AM
Leland Windreich

I suggest a waterways cruise between St. Pete and Moscow. The trip takes
8-10 days and goes through the two large lakes (Lagoda and Onega) with a
spectacular stop at Khizhi Island. Then on to man-made canals and finally
into the upper Volga. The ship stops each day in port, so you get to see
some life in rural Russia. It ends up in Moscow, where you will have 2 or 3
nights on board with daytime sightseeing. From Moscow you can travel to
nearby cities such as Zagorsk, Suzdal,
Vladimir, etc. Return to St. Pete on overnight train (8 hours).
Be forewarned that it will not be easy on your own without a command of
Russian. Will you have a companion? (And, if female, a male companion
would be most desirable). There are lots of scams and some victimization of
tourists still. And negotiating your daily travel plans can be very
complicated if you don't know the ropes.
Check in your home country to see what cruises are available and if it would
be best for you to book them before you leave for Russia. I know that there
are several lines in operation, and you can probably check them out on
Google under "Russian river cruises". The services range from luxurious to
spartan, as do the prices.

om...

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:09 AM
Pete

From what I have read I have the impression that as long as you stay
away from Chetchnya, Dagestan and Ingusethia (of obvious reasons)
it represents no serious safety risks to travel in the Caucasus region.

The dangerous region is larger than that. There have been bombings
in Stavropol, Mineralnaya Vada, Pyatigorsk, and other cities north of
the regions you mentioned.

I also think it could be interesting to see Volgograd and/or Astrakhan,

Volgograd & Astrakhan are interesting. I was there a few years ago.
Make sure you speak some Russian. The train from Moscow to
Volgograd takes about 20 hours, and the train attendants (pravodniks)
don't understand anything except Russian. If you can read some
Russian, you can eat in Russian cafes where the price is substantially
less than restaurants with English menus.

Pete

Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Bjorn Olsson

(?ystein) wrote in message . com...

Another option I have considered is Yekaterinburg area. The reason is
that it could be a way to see east of Urals Russia, without traveling
longer than neccesary. It also gives an opportunity to experience the
Urals. I have read that this might be the most interesting option in
this area. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

How about a tour of the Urals on a Ural motorbike:

http://www.centr-tour.ru/english/moto.html

The Kungur ice cave is very impressive. These photos don't really do
the place justice, but I couldn't find any better ones on the WWW:

http://www.gsbox.com/docs/cave.htm

Kungur is in-between Yekaterinburg and Perm, conveniently reached on
the transsib main line.

There are also companies doing river trips on the Silva river, in the
same area as Kungur. Here's someone you can rent a hous from in that
area:

http://www.vachome.com/e730021/

Bjorn
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:06 PM
cinmoscow

some favourite trips for me/friends in Moscow have been:

* Fly to
Irkutsk (5 hours from Moscow) and see Lake Baikal;
* Fly to Barnaul
(Altaisky Krai), load up on camping gear and sign up with a local
outfit to go into the Altai Mountains;
* Take the train to Murmansk and
check out 24-hour sunshine;
* Take a train or fly to Perm (trans-
siberian line will do it) -- the Kungur ice caves are reachable by car
from here, but also don't miss Russia's only Gulag museum/memorial. A
small local group is restoring one of the infamous labour camps, bit by
bit; you can book a tour through Intourist. Really worth the journey
(took us about 3 hours each way driving from Perm though I hear there's
another road opening soon that's more direct, if it hasn't already) and
very moving.

Enjoy! It's a fascinating country. Do improve your
Russian as much as possible though, it will be invaluable if you are
leaving the cities.

cheers

Old June 14th, 2004, 10:37 PM
?ystein

cinmoscow wrote in message ...
some favourite trips for me/friends in Moscow have been:

Thanks for interesting advice

* Fly to
Irkutsk (5 hours from Moscow) and see Lake Baikal;

Interesting alternative. As far as I read in my Lonely Planet guide
the flights will cost 3700-4800 Rubles each way. Is this updated
information. As a Liden & Denz student, may be I can get some student
identification. Are there any discounts available with such a student
identification?

If anyone have more suggestions on what to see/do and accomondation I
appreciate it!

* Fly to Barnaul
(Altaisky Krai), load up on camping gear and sign up with a local
outfit to go into the Altai Mountains;

This also looks like an interesting alternative. As far as I have read
in Lonely Planet the flights to Moscow will cost 3200-4900 Rubles. Are
there any student discounts?

Are there any mountain hikes suitable for people that is not in a too
good shape ?

* Take the train to Murmansk and
check out 24-hour sunshine;

I have done some reading aboit Murmansk and descriptions like "not
very inspiring" and "for from brethtaking" is much in the what to see
and do section.

At first sight I get the impression that my original idea for this
area, Archangelsk and Solovetsky, is a better alternative than
Murmansk as time is a bottleneck. I hope that anyone with suggestions
will share them with me!

* Take a train or fly to Perm (trans-
siberian line will do it) -- the Kungur ice caves are reachable by car
from here, but also don't miss Russia's only Gulag museum/memorial. A
small local group is restoring one of the infamous labour camps, bit by
bit; you can book a tour through Intourist. Really worth the journey
(took us about 3 hours each way driving from Perm though I hear there's
another road opening soon that's more direct, if it hasn't already) and
very moving.

Can this trip be combined with Yekaterinburg? From my reading it seams
like Perm is a good startingpoint for the excursitions you suggest,
but not a too interesting city. Yekaterinburg on the other hand, seams
to be the most interesting city in this area and seams to have a
interesting history too. Is Yekaterinburg worthwhile?

Enjoy! It's a fascinating country.

It sure is!

Do improve your
Russian as much as possible though, it will be invaluable if you are
leaving the cities.

I do my best!

Best regards,

Jan
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:04 PM
?ystein

(Igor Sklar) wrote in message . com...
(?ystein) wrote in message . com...
I am planning to go to Russia this summer. I will go to a summerschool
in St.Petersburg for 2 weeks to improve my Russian. After theese to
weeks I have visa for another 2 weeks where I can travel in Russia on
my own. I have some vague ideas on places to visit, but I have not
made my mind up yet. I am of course aware of that I have to pick 2 or
3 places of my ideas. If anyone have suggestions on the places I have
considered or suggestions of places I should cosider, please let me
know.

If you are searching for conventional attractions, I would recommend
the following places:

Kazan
http://img.photosight.ru/2004/05/31/506675.jpg

Kazan seams to be interesting. Anyone that has been there and has
suggestions on what to see and do? Is Nizhny Novgorod worth while
including at a trip in this area?

Pskov
http://img.photosight.ru/2004/05/20/495761.jpg

Pskov will probably be on my route. Any suggestions on things to se
and do is welcome!

Moscow
http://img.photosight.ru/2004/04/16/462921.jpg

Moscow is very likely to be on my route too! Any suggestions on things
to do and see outside the tourist route is very welcome indeed! (I
asume my guides has more than enough info on the typical tourist
route). Advices on Small theatres, nice preferably inexpensive places
to eat, stay or take a bear, nice places for livemusic etc. are very
welcome!

The Volga cruise from Astrakhan to Uglich to Moscow is particularly
recommended.

Does anyone have suggestions on a route that is interesting and where
I don't have to spend more than say 2 days?

Talking about transportation, I have also heard interesting stories
from the long distance train trips through Russia. From what I have
heard you shouldn't have a headache and bring some good food and
drink to share with your fellow passangers in the cabin. Is this a
myth or likely to occour on such a train trip?

best regards,

Jan
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Frank F. Matthews

So much like a longer version of budget flying but with a sharing culture.

Bjorn Olsson wrote:
Most people bring their own food to the train, but it's not
particularly typical to share it with fellow passengers. But you can
if you want, of course. In general, the longer the ride, the longer
time are you going to spend in a very small space together with your
fellow passengers, and the more do you want to make friends with them.
Consequently, people socialize much more when travelling the whole the
trans-siberian than on shorter routes. Bjorn