tipping advice for 1st time cruiser

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Mike Cordelli

Default tipping advice for 1st time cruiser

Which cruise line and which ship? Some just charge it to your onboard
account (usually in the area of $10 per person per day) and you don't have
to worry abut it unless you want to add in more or take more away.

Carnival and maybe others offer another choice, you can prepay when you book
the cruise, but you can't adjust that amount based on service. Some of the
premium lines have a no tipping policy.

In general

Your waiter - $3.50 or $3.75 per person per day
Your assistant waiter - $1.75 per person per day

Your room person - $3.50 or $3.75 per person per day

Drinks from the bars usually have an automatic 15% added to the charge for
the tip.

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
I will be taking a cruise next month. This is my first time sailing.
Who should I expect to tip and how much? Since the 15 - 20% rule will
not really work in this situation.

Old July 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Andy P. Jung

http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageCruiseShip.html

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM
RichC

NCL might not be up to the standards of Princess or RCI but by no way would
I eliminate from the list of cruise lines. They offer good value for the
money & since they started the dress down cruising it makes for a more
enjoyable vacation. Keep reading about them & I think you'll find a lot
more people who do like the line.

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Thanks. I will be traveling on Carnival's Ectasy ship. I considered
Norwegian but I knew someone who traveled Norwegian and was not too
happy with their experience.

If I enjoy this cruise, which I certainly expect to, I would like to
book another cruise in December.

For anyone who has tried several ships......what was your favorite and
why?

Old July 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Becca

RichC wrote:
NCL might not be up to the standards of Princess or RCI but by no way
would I eliminate from the list of cruise lines.

A friend of mine cruised on the NCL Sea out of Houston and she
complained about the cabins being small. The cabins on the Sea and the
Sky are small. My cabin on the Wind, Dream, Norway and the Dawn were
nice and roomy. It is difficult to judge a cruise line by just one ship.

Becca -----I had a great time on the Dawn in May...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Miracle in May http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old July 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Rosalie B.

Becca wrote:

RichC wrote:
NCL might not be up to the standards of Princess or RCI but by no way
would I eliminate from the list of cruise lines.

A friend of mine cruised on the NCL Sea out of Houston and she
complained about the cabins being small. The cabins on the Sea and the
Sky are small. My cabin on the Wind, Dream, Norway and the Dawn were
nice and roomy. It is difficult to judge a cruise line by just one ship.

Becca -----I had a great time on the Dawn in May...

It also depends on your perspective. On our boat, if we are both
standing on the floor in the aft cabin, we are embracing. So anything
bigger than that is going to feel way big and not as cozy.g

grandma Rosalie