Pebble Beach, Yosemite, King's Canyon Parks/weather in March - ( Driving from Vegas - worth the detour to the parks ? )

Old April 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Yosemite, King's Canyon Parks

In article ,
- Bobb - wrote:

I'll fly from LAS to SJC on May 1 - rent a car -
drive to Yosemite - drive back to SJC / Big Sur etc - then
fly home on May 10th.

Be sure to check the NPS website before you arrive in San Jose
to find out whether you'll need to rent tire chains. At the
rate we're going, there might still be snow coming down in
early May. Usually, Hwy 140 up the Merced River canyon stays
open without chains, but sometimes you'll need them there, too.

Patty
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article , Ken wrote:

Chain requirements are extremely unlikely in May.

Yeah, I know. The Yosemite web site refers to October through April
as being the season when you should--and are sometimes required to--
carry chains. I was just suggesting that it wouldn't hurt to double
check, since it's a long drive to make and risk getting turned away
at the gate.

If a freak snow storm does require
chains, it will probably be overnight, so you can just delay your trip for a
few hours.

Yeah, when I went in last week, Hwy 120 was at R2 when I called at
9:00 a.m., R1 when I called at 11:00, and R0 when I arrived at the
gate about 1:00 p.m.

Patty

Old April 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pacific Coast Hwy , Yosemite , King's Canyon Parks

Anyone local who can tell me how the weather conditions are ?
Yeah I can check weather.com and webcams, but would like an opinion, not
a report.
I've been postponing this trip waiting for nice weather out there. It's
getting pretty nice here in Boston now and if I don't get to the west
coast soon, I'll postpone it until fall. So, are the mudslides,
rain/snow still bad.

I usually do the drive with a convertible - that's the reason for
going - the drive/scenery. Worth it this year ?

How's it looking for :
Fly to SJC / SFO , Hearst castle via Rt 1- back to Pebble Beach - Los
Gatos - Yosemite - Redwood parks - King's Canyon - Vegas - fly home.

Bobb

Old April 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"- Bobb -" wrote in
:
Anyone local who can tell me how the weather conditions are ?

No snow since Easter and no more expected until next winter.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:48:02 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

Anyone local who can tell me how the weather conditions are ?
Yeah I can check weather.com and webcams, but would like an opinion, not
a report.
I've been postponing this trip waiting for nice weather out there. It's
getting pretty nice here in Boston now and if I don't get to the west
coast soon, I'll postpone it until fall. So, are the mudslides,
rain/snow still bad.

I usually do the drive with a convertible - that's the reason for
going - the drive/scenery. Worth it this year ?

You have to be careful. In the summer months the coast can be
very foggy, and you could find yourself on a twisty cliff-hugging
road perched high above the ocean unable to see the ocean for the
fog.