I told you I was hot!

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

Default I told you I was hot!

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:34:13 +0200, Martin wrote:

Things that were easy to manipulate by multiplying and dividing by
ten.

Ah yes, it's so important to be able to divide and multiple
temperature! I can understand now why C must be used everywhere!

Jim.
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Martin" wrote in message
The Met Off and others still give F after C (having changed from

giving C
after F) on TV weather reports etc.

They don't.

Here's an official quote for you from today's papers:

Sancha Lancaster, spokeswoman for Britain's primary weather forecaster the
Meteorological Office, said as the heat hangs on, temperatures could eclipse
the record of 101 degrees in Faversham, Kent, on Aug. 10, 2003.

Good grief - did she mean C! :-))

Surreyman

Old July 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:24:36 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:40:55 GMT, (Jim Ley) wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:49:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:36:07 +0200, Tom Peel
wrote:

a.spencer3 schrieb:
Wisley, Wednesday, 98F, UK July record and only 2F off the UK

record
ever.
A couple of miles down the road from us.
And still incredibly humid with it.
'Orrible!

Surreyman

(98-32)*5/9 = 36.7c

Are UK residents converting C to F for the sake of the USA posters or
40+ year after the British Met Office changed to Celsius do they all
still think in F?

Lots of UKians use appropriate units for what they are measuring -
measuring hot for people in the UK temperatures, F is very good - as
100 is a nice understandable number.

This isn't true for the colder temperatures you get in the UK where C
is a good unit to use.

People are just using appropriate units for what they want to measure.

I just took a look at the weather forecast on BBC. It isn't true that
the forecast is given in F and C. It's only in Celsius.
--

But listen to the verbal translations on TV. Look at current newspaper
headlines.

The fact that you aren't bilingual but use F when giving temperature.
Almost as laughable as French giving house prices in old Francs.
--

I am bilingual. I translate! :-))

Surreyman

Old July 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:34:13 +0200, Martin wrote:

Things that were easy to manipulate by multiplying and dividing by
ten.

Surely when we're talking about temperatures one scale is no more
convenient than the other.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Citizen Ted

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:02:51 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

Wisley, Wednesday, 98F, UK July record and only 2F off the UK record ever.
A couple of miles down the road from us.
And still incredibly humid with it.
'Orrible!

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

- TR

Old July 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Citizen Ted

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

madness as far as I can tell, presumably the ones who go *do*
like hot weather.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

wrote:

Wisley, Wednesday, 98F, UK July record and only 2F off the UK record

ever.
A couple of miles down the road from us.
And still incredibly humid with it.
'Orrible!

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

The very reason I haven't and wouldn't go! Most go in total ignorance and
suffer.

Surreyman

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to a.spencer3

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

The very reason I haven't and wouldn't go! Most go in total ignorance and
suffer.

Yes, I suspect that's true of many. I don't actually know anybody
who has been there IIRC. No, one fisherman, but that makes sense.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

wrote:

Wisley, Wednesday, 98F, UK July record and only 2F off the UK record ever.
A couple of miles down the road from us.
And still incredibly humid with it.
'Orrible!

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

I have been to Florida 3 times. Always in November when the climate
was rather pleasant. Daytime highs were in the mid
70's dropping to the 50's at night.

Keith

Old July 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to a.spencer3

I must ask: if you Brits hate hot, humid weather so much, why in God's
name are you always traveling to Florida? :0)

The very reason I haven't and wouldn't go! Most go in total ignorance and
suffer.

Yes, I suspect that's true of many. I don't actually know anybody
who has been there IIRC. No, one fisherman, but that makes sense.

In the winter months its quite pleasant actually

Keith