Planning a trip from USA

Old December 9th, 2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
saby

Default Planning a trip from USA

I am planning a month long vacation to Aus+NZ from USA (Seattle)
sometime around mid Feb. I have several questions regarding the same

1. Given the time I have, I am thinking about splitting it into ~18
days in Aus and ~10 days in NZ. Does this sound like a reasonable
split?

2. In Australia I am planning to visit the main attractions on the East
coast and skipping the west coast entirely. Is this a good choice given
the time constraints?

3. I am thinking of flying from Seattle to Sydney/Melbourne, a couple
of internal flights in between the cities in Aus, a flight to New
Zealand and then a return flight from NZ. Are there any packages
offered by airlines that would cover something like this? I am pretty
flexible about this - are there any better ways of doing this?

4. What is a good way to cover the east coast? Where would I be better
of renting a car to travel from city to city versus flying?

5. I am assuming that I can cover NZ by road - is this a reasoable
assumption?

I hope I can get some suggestions for the questions above so that I can
at least book my flight tickets. Thanks in advance folks.

Old December 9th, 2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_4_]

"saby" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is a piece of string long enough? How you should split your time between
countries really depends on your interests and what you would like to see
and do. More information would help.

Old December 9th, 2006, 04:47 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 8 Dec 2006 17:42:26 -0800, "saby"
wrote:

I am planning a month long vacation to Aus+NZ from USA (Seattle)
sometime around mid Feb. I have several questions regarding the same

1. Given the time I have, I am thinking about splitting it into ~18
days in Aus and ~10 days in NZ. Does this sound like a reasonable
split?

I'm biased, but considering the distances involved, I'd
allow a couple more days in OZ and less in NZ.

2. In Australia I am planning to visit the main attractions on the East
coast and skipping the west coast entirely. Is this a good choice given
the time constraints?

Sounds sensible - but I'm on the East Coast:-)

3. I am thinking of flying from Seattle to Sydney/Melbourne, a couple
of internal flights in between the cities in Aus, a flight to New
Zealand and then a return flight from NZ. Are there any packages
offered by airlines that would cover something like this? I am pretty
flexible about this - are there any better ways of doing this?

Check out specials like "Circle Pacific" fares via
www.oneworld.com (you would use American Airlines for that
one) or http://www.around-the-world.com/Airfare/cirpac1.htm
There are others if you do some searching.

Those may also allow you something that would include Japan
or China or Honolulu or Papeete as en-route stopovers. In
fact, it may be required because most require a minimum of
three continents.

4. What is a good way to cover the east coast? Where would I be better
of renting a car to travel from city to city versus flying?

It's a long way on the wrong side of the road - I'm a driver
in foreign lands too but be sure you want that extra stress.
I'd suggest something like Brisbane for two or three days,
with side trips to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast (maybe
a car there for a couple of days), train to Sydney with a
couple of overnight stops en-route, a few days in Sydney
with side tours, air to Melbourne, air to Auckland then
Christchurch.

5. I am assuming that I can cover NZ by road - is this a reasoable
assumption?

Yes, easier driving (at least in the North Island, I haven't
been to the South Island yet).

I hope I can get some suggestions for the questions above so that I can
at least book my flight tickets. Thanks in advance folks.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old December 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MI

wrote:

[...]

Qantas has a good deal. You can fly from the West Coast (LA) to Sydney
return and visit 3 more cities in Australia. The fare from Vancouver, BC for
the package is !
$1400.

Old December 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

My opinion:

1. Choose one or the other - but if you might not make it back again, your
split is not too bad.

2. Definitely. 18 days is barely sufficient for the real highlights on
either side of the continent.

3. Lax or SFO to Sydney would be a better choice. If you fly Air New
Zealand, you will arrive and depart via Auckland. ANZ flies from all
Australian East Coast capitals to Auckland, several flights a day. At least
1 servise each day to the US. Seattle to Sydney would probably entail coming
down through Asia (JAL and Malaysian Air/NW fly the route).

4. Probably fly between cities - either rent a car in each city, or use tour
company offerings, and public transport.

5. NZ provides comfortable driving conditions (and distances). Roads are
narrow though, and travel times slower than in Austr or the US.

oups.com...

Old December 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
saby

Thanks a lot folks - this definitely is helpful. I realize I should
have been more specific in explaining my preferences. So I want to see
the important bits (I think) - Sydney, Melbourne, GBR etc. I would like
to do visit The Daintree or the Kakadu if time permits. I've no natural
incliantion to go to Alice Springs or Uluru. We don't like orgainsed
groups. In fact we have to avoid them. The following is a rough
itinerary at this point in time

LA-Syd - spend about 5-6 days in Sydney. Sydney Harbour, Opera house,
the Rocks, Taronga zoo, drive to blue montains, Bondi/Manly beach (one
of the two).

Syd-Mel - spend 5 days here. the Great Ocean Road, the Twelve Apostles
, Phillip Island (penguin parade)

Mel-Brisbane - rent a car. spend 3 days visting nearby beaches (gold
coast?). Would it be a good time to hit the beaches (around end of
Feb)? Would the water be safe (no box jelly fish?)

Brisbane-Cairns - GBR, what else? We would like to snorkel but are not
into scuba diving. How much time would I need here?

Drive from Cairns to Daintree and Cape Tribulation. How much time would
I need to cover this? Would a standard car be ok for this drive or
would I need a 4WD?

Thanks a lot folks. I think I am getting closer to a finalized plan
:-)

A Mate wrote:
My opinion:

1. Choose one or the other - but if you might not make it back again, your
split is not too bad.

2. Definitely. 18 days is barely sufficient for the real highlights on
either side of the continent.

3. Lax or SFO to Sydney would be a better choice. If you fly Air New
Zealand, you will arrive and depart via Auckland. ANZ flies from all
Australian East Coast capitals to Auckland, several flights a day. At least
1 servise each day to the US. Seattle to Sydney would probably entail coming
down through Asia (JAL and Malaysian Air/NW fly the route).

4. Probably fly between cities - either rent a car in each city, or use tour
company offerings, and public transport.

5. NZ provides comfortable driving conditions (and distances). Roads are
narrow though, and travel times slower than in Austr or the US.

oups.com...

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

For brevity some of the original has been snipped.

"saby" wrote in message
ups.com...
So I want to see
the important bits (I think) - Sydney, Melbourne, GBR etc. I would like

Mel-Brisbane - rent a car. spend 3 days visting nearby beaches (gold
coast?). Would it be a good time to hit the beaches (around end of
Feb)? Would the water be safe (no box jelly fish?)

Unlikely ever to see "stingers" on the beaches at Sunshine Coast (near north
coast Brisbane) or at Gold Coast (near soth coast Brisbane). They are more
likely to be seen from Mackay northward.

Brisbane-Cairns - GBR, what else? We would like to snorkel but are not
into scuba diving. How much time would I need here?

I would recommend the reef visit from Port Douglas rather than from Cairns.

http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/

Drive from Cairns to Daintree and Cape Tribulation. How much time would
I need to cover this? Would a standard car be ok for this drive or
would I need a 4WD?

Cairns to Cape Tribulation is all sealed and easily negotiated by cars of
any size. It's only when you drive north of Cape Trib. you could get into
trouble.

Ross