Camera theft prevention

Old April 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

Default Camera theft prevention

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:27:58 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:37:59 +0200, B
has scripted:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:47:21 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:02:06 +0200, B
has scripted:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:33:41 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Frankly, I think the thing about having the material cut to get access
is nothing more than an urban myth. I've never known of anyone
(directly or indirectly) that it's happened to. Think about how hard
it would actually be to slice open and remove something.

I was once mugged in the US. Two young men ran past me on opposite
sides. The one on the left grabbed my purse. The one on the right
sliced the pocket off my coat. He was so fast that I didn't notice
until hours later that the pocket was missing. There was nothing in
the pocket, but if there had been, he would have got it.

He actually did it with a knife?

I really don't know, as I was totally unaware of what he was doing. I
supposed that he had used a razor blade. However, it was cleanly
sliced away, leaving only thread ends hanging, and the cloth
underneath the pocket was not damaged at all.

In that case he may have just ripped it off, or maybe it got caught on
something. It would take some serious skill to do that with a blade.

I don't think so. The pocket was well sewed on, and if it had been
ripped, I think it would have been evident (pulled, puckered,
whatever). It was cleanly separated from the coat. Also, I'm sure they
were after the pocket. That's why one ran to my right while the other
grabbed the purse, which was slung over my left shoulder. The whole
operation was done while they were running a a good clip.

Of course I'm only guessing based on your description, but I don't
think they would try something as tricky as that. It was your bag that
they were after.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to The Reid :

wrote:

In that case he may have just ripped it off, or maybe it got caught on
something. It would take some serious skill to do that with a blade.

forsooth, some *cutpurses* have serious skills.

hey nonny nonny, my Lord. Pray, let us sit on the carpet and think of happy
things.
--
Tim C.