Pompeii and Herculaneum

Old February 27th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Stephen Janko

Default Pompeii and Herculaneum

What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Earl Evleth

On 27/02/04 2:37, in article ,
"Stephen Janko" wrote:

What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

We did this on a cruise boat stop in Naples. It is possible if you have the
right transportation. We personally found Herculaneum more interesting since
more of the structures are "nearly" intact (wooden beams etc). We regret
in not having visited the Archeological Museum in Naples however.

It is nice to have a guide. We were on a French cruise and had French
speaking guides (we have done London and Egypt too in this manner)
but you need somebody. The Egyptian guide was best, a Greek woman
trained in archeology who could read the hieroglyphics, she also
spoke English, French, and Arab.

Wandering about on you own is OK but a guide is best.

Earl

Old February 27th, 2004, 01:52 PM
R@L

--"Stephen Janko" wrote in message
t...
What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

You can take the very efficient train from both places
http://www.vesuviana.it/orari.htm and visit Pompeii Scavi and Ercolano Scavi
at the same day or, better with good weather, on two days.
As mentioned, also visit the museum in Naples where most of the treasures
from Pompeii are.

You'll remember both towns for the rest of your life and will be very happy
with the time spent there.

Ronald
www.mulazzo.nl

Old February 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Stephen Janko" wrote:

What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

I did them from Sorrento -- one day each -- IMHO it makes more sense to
spend a lot of time in one place -- rather than trying to jam these two
into a day -- could be done, but why?

Given the choice, I would definitely go with Pompeii
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article , Stephen
Janko wrote:

What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

I recommend Sorrento has a home base, as it is about a far from those
places as Naples, but less crazy.

I recommend picking only one of the two if you will only spend one day.
I thought they were both worth it. Here are some pictures of both to
help you decide:

Herculaneum:

http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda/Gra...toAlbum62.html

Pompeii:

http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda/Gra...toAlbum60.html

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Alan Harrison

"Stephen Janko" wrote in message
t...
What your opinion on doing both as a days outing from Naples or Sorrento?

Either could be done in a day trip, but I would recommend against trying to
do both. Go to Pompeii one day and take in Herculaneum and the Villa of
Popaea at Oplontis (Torre Annunziata) together on another day.

Alan Harrison