Car Rental - I want a Mustang in / near Orlando - a few questions

Old December 9th, 2005, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

Default Car Rental - MCO vs WDW - shuttle to/from airport?

"Sprocket" wrote in message ups.com...

- Bobb - wrote:
"Sprocket" wrote in message oups.com... Go to the

Hertz
site, click "Location, Cars & More"

Also, I just saw "Disney's Magical Express Service" where they'll take my bags and me right to WDW from the airport. Anyone

used it
? How much ? How often ?

Thanks,
Bobb

You better find someone to take your bags Bobb, cause they sure as hell
won't fit in that Mustang!!

I'll fit in in there. Only one bag - if I have to, I'll sprinkle my clothes in the trunk !

Old December 12th, 2005, 02:06 AM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Car Rental - I want a Mustang in / near Orlando - a few questions

On 8 Dec 2005 08:15:11 -0800 "BrianW" wrote:

:Join Hertz's #1 Club GOLD, and they will guarantee you a specific model
:at a specific location. (Note, I've never actually tried this, but they
:advertise it.) Otherwise, you are stuck with a particular car class,
:and could be given anything in that class. I *think* a basic mustang
:might actually just be a midsize car class.

I am #1, have reserved a mid-size and have gotten a Mustang.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

Default Car Rental - Orlando - do not EVER use Budget

Update:
Rather than Hertz, I used Budget and reserved it online - a lot cheaper.
Well, when I got there - they didn't have a Mustang either, so I got a Saturn Ion.

Picked up the paperwork, walked across the road and checked it over and hopped in it.
I thought that I'd do a "checkout / paperwork" as I left the terminal garage. WRONG - I left the garage and - that's it - I'm on
my own. No way to review scratches in the door, etc. I'm out of the garage and there's the sign/road to Kennedy Space Center. I
start to take the exit and then I notice that the gas gauge is ON/BELOW Empty. The guy at the desk asked me if I'd liked to
prepay the gas (like they do everywhere - give it to you full and you can return it empty). Here he's giving me the xyzz'ing car
empty AND we wanted me to pay for that ??
I've been driving the car for 2 minutes and I'm afraid that I'm gonna run out of gas before the next exit. About 5-10 miles later
an exit - and ... no gas nearby. Next exit 10 miles - no gas. Next exit is Titusville - route 95 and as I pull into gas station
the car starts sputtering. I get gas/check into my hotel and call Budget to yell at someone. I'll skip the rest - suffice it to
say that no one at the company cared at all - got " Sorry I can't help you" or voice mail " we are closed - please call back". I
left them email, voice mail - that I'm returning it below empty ( I did) and never using them again. A few days later, I did get
an email stating that they do show that I got it empty ( didn't show that way on my paperwork).

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message ...
(- Bobb -) wrote in
:

Has someone rented in Orlando lately ? Has someone rented and
GOTTEN a Mustang there lately ? How much money ? What "category" is
a Mustang ? (non-convertible model) I've tried Orbitz and Hertz,
Budget and for Orlando, I don't see a "Sport" category online. Do
they not rent them there ?

The info for Hertz is on their Web site; whether it's accurate is
anybody's guess.

From their main page, select "Locations, Cars, and More", then select
"Vehicle Guide", choose Orlando airport, and you'll find the ordinary
Mustang and the Mustang convertable in the "Fun Collection".

The vehicle categorization varies from location to location, so the
"Fun Collection" doesn't hold for all of them.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Holy crap Bobb! With all the trouble you went through from the
beginning of this "quest", you could have *bought* a new Mustang, and
driven it to Flordia.

Old February 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
[...]

So you made a mistake. Always check the car before leaving the parking lot

Keith

Old February 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:47:45 -0500, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

[...]

We haven't often rented from Budget but have usually had problems.
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

"Keith W" wrote in message ...

"- Bobb -" wrote in message ...
Picked up the paperwork, walked across the road and checked it over and hopped in it.
I thought that I'd do a "checkout / paperwork" as I left the terminal garage. WRONG - I left the garage and - that's it - I'm
on my own. No way to review scratches in the door, etc. I'm out of the garage and there's the sign/road to Kennedy Space
Center. I start to take the exit and then I notice that the gas gauge is ON/BELOW Empty.

So you made a mistake. Always check the car before leaving the parking lot

Keith

You're right - but I THOUGHT I was going to review everyhting with him as I left the parking lot ( like most places have the
guard/gate just before the 'spikes'.) At Orlando, they did not have anything there - just drive out. ( Surprised more cars don't
get stolen)

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

- Bobb - wrote:
Update:
Rather than Hertz, I used Budget and reserved it online - a lot
cheaper. Well, when I got there - they didn't have a Mustang either, so I
got
a Saturn Ion.

Those two vehicles don't seem to be in the same class. I would consider an
Ion to be a compact and a Mustang to be a midsize.

Picked up the paperwork, walked across the road and checked it over
and hopped in it. I thought that I'd do a "checkout / paperwork" as I left
the terminal
garage. WRONG - I left the garage and - that's it - I'm on my own.
No way to review scratches in the door, etc. I'm out of the garage
and there's the sign/road to Kennedy Space Center.

Most major airport car rentals don't worry with minor "road rash" and door
dings. Basically, they expect that as normal wear and tear (unlike
Enterprise who wants to mark every single paint defect). Of course if you
return it with "damage", like a dent or scrape that can't be covered with a
dollar bill, then they would likely want you to pay for that.

I start to take
the exit and then I notice that the gas gauge is ON/BELOW Empty. The
guy at the desk asked me if I'd liked to prepay the gas (like they
do everywhere - give it to you full and you can return it empty).
Here he's giving me the xyzz'ing car empty AND we wanted me to pay
for that ??

Guess what? Had you pre-paid for the tank of gas, you would still have
gotten this car nearly empty! You'd had to have gone back to the desk and
complained and be given another car (or waited on them to fill this one).
All the major rental companies assume the vehicles have a full tank when
leaving. I once had an issue with Avis. As I was driving out of the
airport lot, I noticed the car only had half a tank and I immediately went
back to have my rental agreement adjusted. The guy at the counter actually
wanted me to "meet him halfway" and record it as 3/4 of a tank since I had
already "driven some". After some arguing about how I had driven less than
two miles, he finally agreed to adjust it.

Gas is a big profit center for car rental companies. Never buy the gas from
them! Even when they supposedly sell you a full tank below market value,
you won't come out ahead unless you return it on fumes. Why? Well, if you
paid for say, 20 gallons at $0.10 under market value, that means you'd save
$2.00. The problem is, you have to return the car with less than $2.00
worth of gas in the tank or else you are losing money on the deal. At
today's prices, that would be less than a gallon of gas. If you can swing
it, then great, but honestly, I don't find pumping gas to take much time or
be so difficult.

--

- RODNEY

Old February 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks

Bert Hyman wrote:
(Rudeney) wrote in
:

I would consider an Ion to be a compact and a Mustang to be a
midsize.

Have you driven a recent model Mustang?

I recently rented a generic midsize from Hertz at BWI and without
thinking took a free upgrade and ended up in a Mustang.

Just enough room in the trunk for our single (large) suitcase, and
with the seat set for me (5' 11"), no leg room in the back seat
behind me.

The new Mustang is based on the Mazda 6, which I would put into the midsize
category, but of course the Mustang being a two-door and with more sporty
styling, yes, I could see where it would be a tighter fit. Still, I was
thinking more in terms of pricing rather than usable size. I remember
renting in the 1980's when a midsize was a Taurus and a full-size was a
Crown Vic (or maybe back then they were LTD's). Anyhow, they used to offer
free or low-cost upgrades to the Thunderbird, which was much smaller inside
than the Taurus, but was more sporty and "fun" to drive.

Don't most rental outfits place the Mustang in some sort of
"specialty car" category?

I think the base V6 model is just a regular mid-size, but the V8 GT models
and convertibles are in a specialty category. At some locations, Hertz has
specialty categories that include Jaguar and Volvo automobiles (both made by
Ford, who owns Hertz). A lot of the time, they rent Mazda's (also partially
owned by Ford).

Of all the rental companies, Enterprise seems to have the most "interesting"
cars. When my car has been in the shop, I've had all sorts of vehicles like
VW New Beetle, Dodge pickup truck, Kia Amanti, Chrysler 300, Toyota Solara,
Infiniti G20 and I30, and Mercedes-Benz C230.

--

- RODNEY