Romany for "I have no money"?

Old July 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Zok

Default Romany for "I have no money"?

Hi all,

I've been going to some touristy sites where there are young female
Gypsy beggars. Their technique is to first ask "Do you speak English",
apparently because they think English-speakers are uninformed about
Gypsies. Of course I always shrug as if to indicate
I have no idea what they've said. I have seen them questioning tourists
who say Yes, and have not witnessed any pickpocketing so I have a
desire to perhaps speak to them in Romany, simply to say I am poor and
have no money before I walk away.

(I *have* seen older female Gypsy pickpockets at other sites, reaching
into pockets, waving the newspaper, carrying a distracting baby etc.)

I gather the following expressions are roughly along these lines:

"bi luvvu" = without money
"me, choreno" = "I, poor person"
"dosta, kekkomi" = "enough, no more"
"tute rakkar francais?" = do you speak French?

Can anyone in sci.lang or elsewhere who speaks Romany verify for me
that these expressions are sufficient or provide better constructions?

How about more daring expressions like "Please find a normal job" or
"Is it pitiful to beg"?

Thank you.

Old July 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Dave Frightens Me

On 5 Jul 2006 02:22:29 -0700, "Zok" wrote:

[...]

You can also try:

Fututi pizda mati "**** your motha'!"

Fututi gura "**** you!"
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Zok wrote:

Hi all,

I've been going to some touristy sites where there are young female
Gypsy beggars. Their technique is to first ask "Do you speak English",
apparently because they think English-speakers are uninformed about
Gypsies.

They don't limit it to English - I was examining the menu in
a Vienna restaurant window when one approached me with
"Parla italiano?". (The menu was in German, Italian and
English, but my appearnace should have been a clue - all my
ancestry is German, so I certainly do NOT look Italian!)

Old July 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Poliot

Zok wrote:

Hi all,

I've been going to some touristy sites where there are young female
Gypsy beggars. Their technique is to first ask "Do you speak English",
apparently because they think English-speakers are uninformed about
Gypsies.

They don't limit it to English - I was examining the menu in
a Vienna restaurant window when one approached me with
"Parla italiano?". (The menu was in German, Italian and
English, but my appearnace should have been a clue - all my
ancestry is German, so I certainly do NOT look Italian!)

c'mon, admit! you're dark and hairy. your dyed blond hair did not fool the
astute hindu social engineer.

Old July 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Király[_1_]

In rec.travel.europe Zok wrote:
Can anyone in sci.lang or elsewhere who speaks Romany verify for me
that these expressions are sufficient or provide better constructions?

How about more daring expressions like "Please find a normal job" or
"Is it pitiful to beg"?

Instead of trying to speak with them, which might only encourage them,
try whipping out a camera and attempting to take their photo. In my
experience that usually causes them to scamper away in a flash.

--
K.

Te tetted e tettetett tettet? Te tettetett tettek tettese, te!
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Poliot

"Király" wrote in message
In rec.travel.europe Zok wrote:
Can anyone in sci.lang or elsewhere who speaks Romany verify for me
that these expressions are sufficient or provide better constructions?

How about more daring expressions like "Please find a normal job" or
"Is it pitiful to beg"?

Instead of trying to speak with them, which might only encourage them,
try whipping out a camera and attempting to take their photo. In my
experience that usually causes them to scamper away in a flash.

that's a good method. with time you might build up a sizeable photo album.

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Ruud Harmsen

Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:44:32 -0700: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
: in sci.lang:

They don't limit it to English - I was examining the menu in
a Vienna restaurant window when one approached me with
"Parla italiano?". (The menu was in German, Italian and
English, but my appearnace should have been a clue - all my
ancestry is German, so I certainly do NOT look Italian!)

Quite a few Italians look rather German, and vice versa.
--
Ruud Harmsen - http://rudhar.com
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Peter T. Daniels

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Zok wrote:

Hi all,

I've been going to some touristy sites where there are young female
Gypsy beggars. Their technique is to first ask "Do you speak English",
apparently because they think English-speakers are uninformed about
Gypsies.

They don't limit it to English - I was examining the menu in
a Vienna restaurant window when one approached me with
"Parla italiano?". (The menu was in German, Italian and
English, but my appearnace should have been a clue - all my
ancestry is German, so I certainly do NOT look Italian!)

A van Dam groupie Italian? How likely is that! (hi Evelyn)
--
Peter T. Daniels
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM posted to sci.lang,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian,soc.culture.french
Runge

Not jews, leftist apatrid activists

"111" a écrit dans le message de news:
idiot, go and find a gypsy forum