Advice on long-term flight tickets & baggage allowances to Perth from London

Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
simon3000

Default Advice on long-term flight tickets & baggage allowances to Perth from London

Hi Everybody,

My pregnant wife and I currently live in Oxford, England and are
flying to Perth, Australia in Jan 2005 as I have a 13 month job there
starting January 17th 2005. We will be returning to England with the
baby after that.

I don't know much about the in's and out's of flight ticketing and
would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on the following

1) I've heard that its not possible for me to buy a return flight
ticket because the maximum return time allowed is 12 months (and I
need to be in Australia for 13 months at least)
Is it true that I need to buy 2 single one-way flight tickets?

2) I don't want to have to ship anything to Australia and was hoping
to take everything we need (basically clothers, laptop, camera) in a
few suitcases or 2
-someone told that if i went to Perth from London in a western
direction (ie via USA), then the flight is a bit more expensive but
the baggage allowance is massively increased to 120 kg or something
like that, compared to a cheaper but much lower baggage allowance
(20kg) via an eastern route (ie via Asia) - is this true?

- also is it more cost effective to pay for business class instead of
economy to get the increased baggage allowance? how much does t cost?

Thanks for any advice

Simon
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Geoff Lowry

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience.
If you need extra free baggage, ask your travel agent to put in a request in
the PNR. They may be sympathetic to your needs and give you, perhaps 30KG
per person, instead of the standard 20KG.
Business class is typically more than double the economy class fare, so
financially does not provide a solution.
I would suggest that you look into sending the excess stuff using air
freight. It is a much cheaper alternative to the business class fare, and
gets there almost as quick as you do.

om...

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Bernard Smith

"simon3000" wrote in message
om...
Hi Everybody,

2) I don't want to have to ship anything to Australia and was hoping
to take everything we need (basically clothers, laptop, camera) in a
few suitcases or 2
-someone told that if i went to Perth from London in a western
direction (ie via USA), then the flight is a bit more expensive but
the baggage allowance is massively increased to 120 kg or something
like that, compared to a cheaper but much lower baggage allowance
(20kg) via an eastern route (ie via Asia) - is this true?

- also is it more cost effective to pay for business class instead

of
economy to get the increased baggage allowance? how much does t

cost?

Baggage allowance for flights through the US are higher.

As a guide, Qantas baggage allowances can be found at
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked

Of course, this benefit might be blunted by a higher fare/increased
travel time.

In relation to ticket validity, it's my understanding that a ticket is
only valid for 12 months from date of issue (not first sector), but
there are others better qualified to answer this.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"simon3000" wrote in message
[...]

All ticket i have had in the past have had a MAX of 12 months. Flight via
USA will be VIA LA i think. No idea how much u can save and all tho.

ta

http://www.poms.co.uk/austsraliansimcard.htm

Old September 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Niels Osmers

Dear Simon,

it is true, cou can take a little more baggage westward. For detailed
answer contact your travel-agent. And ask him about an open ticket; it
should be possible, to stay for longer than 12 month with an open
ticket, I think.

If you take the east-route down there with a stop-over in Singapore,
have a look at

http://app.ica.gov.sg/travellers/ent...quirements.asp

Women who are 6 months or more than 6 months pregnant and intend to
enter Singapore for social visit, should make prior application through
the nearest Singapore overseas mission.

May be, you need visa for your baby.

Have a nice time

Niels