Yucatan trip

Old October 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
William

Default Yucatan trip

I'm planning a trip to the Yucatán in February, and will use Mérida
as my base of operations. I prefer to use bus transportation for
sidetrips, and I am wondering about the logistics. Does anyone know how
often 1st class busses run from Mérida to Chichen Itzá? I am
thinking about booking a room at Villas Arquelógicas near the site for
a night. Where does the bus drop me off, and will I be able to get a
taxi from there to the hotel? I figure that I can do some exploration
of the ruins in the late afternoon (at what time do the tourist crowds
thin out?), and then again in the morning before checking out.

Another side trip I was thinking about was to Celestún for 2 nights.
I know that there is frequent bus service (2nd class) from Mérida, and
I found a hotel in a guidebook that sounds decent, Eco Hotel Flamingo
Playa. Is anyone familiar with it?

How soon do I need to start making reservations for accomodations?

Thanks for your help!
Bill

Old October 27th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Brian K

On 10/27/2005 1:03 AM William after palpating a Ginkgo, electronically
interjected:

[...]

How do you define 1st class buses? As far as I know there are tour
operator excursion buses and vans that offer door to door service and
public buses. The tour excursion buses have an English speaking guide,
are air conditioned and may offer free soft beverages. The public buses
are not tourist only buses, you will be riding with locals. Some ability
to speak Spanish will help as it is unlikely that the bus driver will
speak English. There may be collectivos. Collectivos are very cheep and
primarily provide transport for hotel workers. These are vans that may
be or may not be air conditioned. If there are more people at a stop
than a van can hold, you may have to wait for the next one. You can call
a cab from the site, someone in the gift shop may be able to assist in
calling a cab.

If it were me and I wanted to come and go as I pleased sticking only to
my own time table, I'd rent a car.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
tile

you can find all yr info on buses on
www.ticketbus.com.mx
you can also reserve and buy yr tickets

pls note that you can book only 1st or second class buses..
and normally they are full on the most frequented routes
( they are like aeroplanes. luggage will be checked.. places are chosen in
advance )

Merida has 5 bus stations. so just be sure on the one you need.

Normally there si no need to make hotel reservations in Mexico.
you can find good hotels starting at 50 / 70 eur per night.
a good hotel was hotel Mission in Merida.
they are located near the centre and they boast many good prices.

pls note that from Merida there is a special bus that will take you to minor
Mayan sites..
the bus leaves in the morning. takes you a site. gives you enough time to
visit the site. and then goes to next mayan site.
If I well remember. this bus will take you to 11 mayan sites.
again. tickets are sold well in advance..

I also recommend visiting Uxmal.. I like it much better then Chichen Itza..
note also that entrance fees are very high now ( they added a special fee )
and normally mayan sites are opne till 17.00 hours.

collectivos are much cheaper than fisr class buses ( roughly they cost 3 to
4 dollars per 100kms.. )
but colectivos do not have a specific time..
they run when they are full.
and normally they go from village to village.
I paid from Merida to Progreso ( about 60kms ) 5 pesos

Old October 27th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Traveller

There are multiple companies that run buses between Merida and Cancun
with multiple classes of service. There is "De Lujo", "Plus" and
"Primera" . The De Lujo and Plus tend to be infrequent, maybe one
every two hours. The first class are at least once at hour. Every bus
from Merida to Cancun will stop in Piste, the town nearest to Chichen
Itza, only some will stop at Chichen Itza. There are lots of cabs that
will take you from the bus station to the Villas for a couple of
dollars. You might want to consider staying in Piste the night before
visiting Chichen Itza. THis will give you a chance to get to the ruins
early without having to get up as early. The sight of El Castillo,
early in the morning when no one else is there is awesome.

We did Celestun as a day trip from Merida. (It is well worth the
visit). If you are trying to save money, when you go to the spot where
you get the boats, you can wait for another group to show up and split
the cost with them.

Reservations? I have spent maybe 12 month in total travelling in
Mexico and have made reservations twice. Once for the Festivale
Cervantino in Guanajuato and once for a hotel by the MEX airport. If
you have a decent guidebook (Footprint's Mexico Handbook/Mexico &
Central America Handbook or Lonely Planet), you really don't need
reservations.

There are a number of other ruins that are way less touristed than
Chichen Itza that you might want to consider: Uxmal, Edzna, Ek
Balam....

Don't forget the walled city of Campeche.

Have a great trip.

Old October 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Mike Hanlon

I do believe we stayed at that hotel in Celestun last year. It was decent,
I'd propably choose it again the next time I go to that town. You can read
my trip report:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...b5b63577 b549

As others on this thread have said, you won't need reservations. Enjoy!

Old October 28th, 2005, 05:25 AM
William

Thanks for your comments.
Language will not be a problem since I am a retired Spanish teacher. I
have been to Mexico many times, and have always preferred public
transportation to the expense of renting a car. I was in the Yucatán
twice, many years ago, but once was by car with a Mexican friend, and
the other time was a guided tour with students. Hence my query since I
am not quite up to speed on the logistics of getting around on my own in
that region.
And yes, Uxmal is on my list of must-sees.

Regards,
Bill

Old October 28th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Don Lampson

Bill
For "ruin hopping", you might consider stopping by the museum in
Merida, and asking about "tours". There used to be several guys with
vans, who gave tours to Mexicans for a reasonable price... (it's been
five years since I've been there)
I don't think Celestun is worth two days. I wouldn't even spend the
night. Once you've seen the flamingoes, there's nothing to do.....
Spend a night in Valladolid instead. It's a modern Maya city, with
lots of things to see nearby, and a great restaurant in the Meson de
Marguez hotel, with some of the best Mayan cooking I've ever et!
The ruins of Ek Balam are great, and you won't be in a crowd to see
them with. You can see the flamingoes at Rio Legartos too!
The Yucatan is a neat place to visit. Bien Viaje.........
Don