Luggage drop in Sydney?

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Sarah

Default Luggage drop in Sydney?

I'm going to be arriving in Sydney early in the morning. That evening, I'm
staying with friends of friends, but they'll be at work when I arrive, so I
won't be able to drop off my bags there. I'd like to spend the day touring
the downtown (Circular Quay, etc.) areas but not dragging my bags. Is there
anywhere that I'd be able to leave them for the day for cheap or free?

And also, what would be the best way to get from the airport to the
downtown? I'd prefer something less expensive than a taxi, but I'm also
going to have my bags....

Thanks!

Sarah

Old October 13th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:28:55 -0400, "Sarah"
wrote:

I'm going to be arriving in Sydney early in the morning.

The easiest way to get from the airport into the city is on the train,
so long as you're not travelling in peak commuter hours. If you're
getting in on one of the 5.15 am flights, no problem. There's space
for your luggage as long as the train isn't full of morning commuter.
It's about Au$10-12 for the train fare.

It's around Au$20 for a taxi fare from the airport into the city, but
this varies according to the traffic conditions and time taken.

That evening, I'm
staying with friends of friends, but they'll be at work when I arrive, so I
won't be able to drop off my bags there. I'd like to spend the day touring
the downtown (Circular Quay, etc.) areas but not dragging my bags. Is there
anywhere that I'd be able to leave them for the day for cheap or free?

Free, probably not, but the Sydney Coach Terminal (adjacent to Central
Station) has luggage lockers varying from Au$4-8 for 24 hours,
depending on the size you need. They also have showers if you'd like
one.

Once you're at Central station you're only a 20 minute walk or 5
minute train ride or bus ride (your choice, but Curcular Quay train
station has one of the best views I've ever seen from a train station)
from the centre of the city (Town Hall station) or Circular Quay.

Geodyne

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Geoff Lillico

"Sarah" wrote in message
I'm going to be arriving in Sydney early in the morning. That evening,

I'm
staying with friends of friends, but they'll be at work when I arrive, so

won't be able to drop off my bags there. I'd like to spend the day

touring
the downtown (Circular Quay, etc.) areas but not dragging my bags. Is

there
anywhere that I'd be able to leave them for the day for cheap or free?

And also, what would be the best way to get from the airport to the
downtown? I'd prefer something less expensive than a taxi, but I'm also
going to have my bags....

Thanks!

Sarah

Where do your friends live? How are you meeting up with them. There may be
other alternatives. As someone else has replied, the train from the airport
to the city is the best option.

Geoff Lillico

Old October 14th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Sarah

Where do your friends live? How are you meeting up with them. There may be
other alternatives. As someone else has replied, the train from the

airport
to the city is the best option.

They live not far from Bondi Beach. I'm going to have to get my luggage and
get to their house. The map I have of Sydney's CitiRail has a Bondi
Junction station, so I'm hoping I can take it there from the city and then
see if they can pick me up. (These are people I've never met, so I don't
want to take too much advantage of their good will in already letting me
crash there!)

I get in around 8AM on a Friday. I assume that this will be during rush
hour, right? So should I not take the train from the airport? Will I have
problems with my bags & the commuters? Should I just give in & take a taxi?

Thanks!

Sarah

Old October 14th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:03:39 -0400, "Sarah"
wrote:

They live not far from Bondi Beach. I'm going to have to get my luggage and
get to their house. The map I have of Sydney's CitiRail has a Bondi
Junction station, so I'm hoping I can take it there from the city and then
see if they can pick me up. (These are people I've never met, so I don't
want to take too much advantage of their good will in already letting me
crash there!)

Yes, and it is easy to get to Bondi Junction Station from the city.
There is also a bus connecting Bondi Junction station with Bondi Beach
proper, but it's only a few minutes by car so they shouldn't be too
put out if they pick you up from there.

I've just done a quick google to confirm and it seems that the best
option for your luggage is the cloak room near the front of Central
Station (+61-2-9219 4395). If you head for the area where the
intercity trains depart from Central Station (platforms 1-8) you
should see it. Looks to be Au$4.50/ article/day, but don't quote me on
that.

I get in around 8AM on a Friday. I assume that this will be during rush
hour, right? So should I not take the train from the airport? Will I have
problems with my bags & the commuters? Should I just give in & take a taxi?

You should be fine to take the train, Sarah. By the time you collect
your luggage and get on the train it'll be more like 8.45-9 am and the
tail end of rush hour anyway. It's very convenient.

Geodyne
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Julie

Sarah,

Make sure you buy an all day ticket at the airport. You will be able to
travel on buses, trains and ferries all day on the one ticket.

Julie

Old October 14th, 2003, 01:48 AM
bondipom

I live at Bondi Beach and with luggage I always use a cab. It is between
30 and 40 AUD. Anyone picking you up will get stung by silly parking $15
parking charge. For the train you would have to go to Town hall and
change to go to Bondi Junction where you can get a bus. A bit of an out
the way trek.

Old October 14th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Geoff Lillico

"Julie" wrote in message
Sarah,

Make sure you buy an all day ticket at the airport. You will be able to
travel on buses, trains and ferries all day on the one ticket.

Julie

It's $15.00 PLUS the access fee to Airport station. You might consider
leaving your luggage at the Airport and getting the direct bus from there to
Bondi Junction Station after you have seen the sights of Sydney during the
day.

Geoff Lillico