Books or Tips on Flying Around the World?

Old August 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
W. eWatson

Default Books or Tips on Flying Around the World?

Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed location
in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

W. eWatson wrote:

Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

The WWW and your local library are full of information.
For a newsgroup such as this, you need to be a bit more specific about
what you are looking for. It cuts down on chaff

Old August 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
W. eWatson wrote:

Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

The WWW and your local library are full of information.
For a newsgroup such as this, you need to be a bit more specific about
what you are looking for. It cuts down on chaff

While there may be information around actually *booking* an RTW ticket on
the web is not (yet) really practical. I can't speak for the USA but here
in the UK I would buy a copy of the Sunday Times (or some such) and phone
around the various agencies advertising there. There are 2 ways to buy RTW
tickets (1) one of the published fares - typically from one of the alliances
(oneWorld, Star or SkyTeam) (2) an agency will put together a routing based
on local air fares - these can be quite cheap although they typically leave
you to make your own way across some land masses.

Old August 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bill Barnes

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Have you tried this?

http://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/

Old August 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
W. eWatson

Graham Harrison wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
W. eWatson wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll look into those sources. I was told by AAA (large USA travel
and auto insurance Co.) to start with United Airlines. I probably will at
some point. My target is for the end of February to begin the trip.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
W. eWatson

mrtravel wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:

Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

The WWW and your local library are full of information.
For a newsgroup such as this, you need to be a bit more specific about
what you are looking for. It cuts down on chaff

I'm looking for almost anything relevant to the topic. Even Michael Pallin's
Equator or Pole to Pole. I will probably try my local library today.
However, I went to another library a week ago, and had a strange experience.
The librarian set out several books for me, and I said I'd be back in two
hours to look more thoroughly at them and check any of them out I might find
useful. She put them on her desk. Two hours later they were back in the
stacks, courtesy of another librarian. I had no time left to find the first
librarian. Let's hope I have better luck at our local library.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
W. eWatson

Bill Barnes wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Have you tried this?

http://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/

Looks interesting.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Roughly, I'd like to fly SF, London, UAE (Abu Dhabi), some unnamed
location in Asia, Australia/NZ, back to SF.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/\

Round the World fare with oneWorld - Fly SF to London on AA or BA, then on
to Abu Dhabi on BA, onward to Hong Kong with Royal Jordanian, and then to
Australia and/or New Zealand with Qantas, and then back to SFO on Qantas.
should be around $7,800 USD in Business Class, not including any fuel
surcharges; obviously less in economy.