Meals on planes

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Default Meals on planes

mrtravel wrote:
SMS wrote:

I've never experienced this, but I think if this were to happen it
would be empty disposable containers, not lexan/nalgene water bottles
and vacuum bottles.

Why would it matter what kind of bottle it is?
If they ban empty disposable bottles for security reasona, why would a
non-disposable be less of one?

Because they don't ban them for security reasons, they are not banned at
all, it's all at the whim of the screener.

You have to think like a screener. A disposable plastic water bottle is
seen to have no value, and it's easier to demand that it be discarded
than for them to bother to check to see if it's empty. A stainless steel
vacuum bottle or commuter cup, or a backpacking bottle is seen more as a
legitimate item to have in a carry-on, as long as it's empty.
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message SMS
wrote:

You have to think like a screener. A disposable plastic water bottle is
seen to have no value, and it's easier to demand that it be discarded
than for them to bother to check to see if it's empty. A stainless steel
vacuum bottle or commuter cup, or a backpacking bottle is seen more as a
legitimate item to have in a carry-on, as long as it's empty.

The flip side is that a metal vacuum bottle could be used to conceal
something far more easily then $0.01 worth of completely transparent
plastic.

Personally, I'd rather buy a $1.50 water bottle once through security
then risk a $10-$50 bottle on the chance that a screener had a fight
with their significant other before going on shift.
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

"LVTravel" wrote in message

"SMS" wrote in message
LVTravel wrote:
Come on now, Durian would get rid of everyone on the whole plane. Ever
want to open the door at 35,000 feet. Take a ripe Durian out of a sealed
plastic bag. When I was last in Malaysia I could smell them a block
away. No wonder most hotels won't allow them in the doors in KL.

Yes, the "No Durian" signs in hotels in Asia were always amusing. At
Lawrence Livermore Labs someone threw away the remains of a Durian into
their trash can an someone thought there was a chemical leak or an
attack, and the Hazmat team was called in (at least this was a story I
was told)!

How do you know when a durian has gone bad? It smells good.

Still, the smell of a durian pales in comparison to the smell of stinky
tofu.

Never smelled stinky tofu and I guess I don't want to. Even Durian
doesn't compare to my wife's shoes however!

There will be lots of stinky tofu at the night markets in Taiwan but I
prefer eating oyster omelettes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_omelette
Oh, just looking at that picture of two plates of oyster omelettes that I
uploaded to Wikipedia from my previous trip to Taiwan in 2004 is making my
mouth water!

Only 6 weeks to go before I arrive in Taiwan!

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old August 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
grusl[_3_]

"Andy P. Jung" @. wrote in message
"LVTravel" wrote in message

"SMS" wrote in message
LVTravel wrote:
[...]

Not only are oyster omelettes delicious, they pretty much break every "safe
eating abroad" rule ... excellent way to freak out visitors!

I've only had them from street carts in Hong Kong and I'm sure they're just
as good - if not better - in Taiwan. (I have fond memories of a long weekend
in Kaohsiung a decade ago). I must get myself to Taipei this year and see
that Museum.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore